Subnautica Below Zero - dual GPU launch problem

HaberleaHaberlea Join Date: 2019-01-31 Member: 249856Members
Hi,
I have Acer Predator g9-792-71x6
It has one integrated Intel GPU and one dGPU - Nvidia GTX 980M 8GB GDDR5.
I play Subnautica from Steam.

I am facing a problem launching the game. If i use my Nvidia (which of course i insist to do, because the built-in Intel is million times weaker!!!) The game starts with transparent screen. I see only the cursor and hear the music. In order to make it appear at all, i have to switch my settings in Nvidia control panel for this game - to use only integrated graphics. That way the game is just not usable at all, blurry, slow, which is normal for the weak GPU it is forced to run on.

I shared the game with my husband and my bigger daughter (both of them running desktop machines, one with ATI and the other one with Nvidia GTX 570 (more than 7 years old) and they have no issue launching it. So the problem obviously is with me having 2 GPUs and load balancing between them.

I have games from Steam starting without issues, but my both Subnautica (old one and below zero) are not able.

I need help to push these games use my stronger card. I can't believe that i paid such amount of money for a gaming laptop, and I can't the games on it!

P.S. I have updated the BIOS, OS, all possible drivers, Steam and everything else i could figure and also sent the laptop for a warranty check just in case even i am 80% sure that the problem is actually in the game itself.

Comments

• Mace_OsirisMace_Osiris The Netherlands Join Date: 2019-02-05 Member: 250486Members
    edited February 2019
    Hello, Im an Old Dell Service Engineer and my first solution would be, Try to turn of your Intel IGPU in the bios, or UEFI as they call it nowadays, it seems like the game can't tell them apart, without it running, the game would have no choice and start running on your primary GPU. Good luck! (Don't worry about the intel intergrated card, you'll probably won't even notice a difference after you turn it of...)