Below Zero Early Access - Jan 30th - Subnautica

2»

Comments

• jonathanmjonathanm Join Date: 2018-03-27 Member: 239525Members
    edited January 2019
    So.. does this game require Steam or is there a DRM-free version available? As in I can play without any kind of online authentication (like in Steam) either now or in ten year's time. I am steering away from Steam if I can as I don't like the online authentication requirement to play something I've paid for. How does the Epic Games purchase option work? If it's the same deal as Steam then I might as well stick with Steam as I'm already on there.

Thanks.

Oh, also, was this game developed using Unreal Engine instead of Unity this time?

UPDATE: I did a bit of digging, according to Wikipedia Epic Games Store looks like it could be better for developers (they take a much smaller cut), is DRM-free (yet to be confirmed), and is planned to be on MacOS and Android in 2019, with a bit less of the clutter of Steam. Sounded good to me so I've purchased through the Epic Games Store just now, played a few minutes and all looking good so far!
  • GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
    edited February 2019
    From what I've read, Epic is totally bungling their game service. I've already got steam, U-Play (only for Anno 2205/2070) and Origin, the last thing I want is another third party crapfest clogging up my computer. I expect a lot of people will feel the same way, meaning any dev who gives Epic an exclusive release is going to suffer because 88% of 10k sales is a lot less than 70% of 20k+ or even much, much more.

P.S.: Devs can specify a DRM-free release on Steam if they so choose. Most of them are still addled by the DRM myth, however.