Materials stored in a room should be accessible to machines in the same room

GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
I was chatting with my daughter about her Subnautica playthrough, while I have been playing Graveyard Keeper, and it came to me that in one way, this medieval game is more advanced than Subnautica is in all its futuristic glory.

When working in a defined area (yard, farmhouse, morgue, alchemy lab), all materials stored in containers are available to the player on every work table as if they were in inventory. So I don't have to go hunting for rope (abstracted for wick), beeswax, fat and white dye to make white candles, they are just "there", a big game QoL mechanism that abstracts hunting down the ingredients you already possess to make the game smoother and less irritating.

Cheers

Comments

• AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
    Um, that makes it just a little less realistic don't you think? I know it's on an alien world so not much is realistic already, but not bringing the resources she needs is her fault.
    Being able to access a locker from your tablet or the crafting menu doesn't work, though i agree it'd make the game less annoying that you forgot your titanium, it just doesn't work, not from a realistic point of view, anyway. Feel free to disagree, but i like the game as it is, so post and drink some sparkling-fize, LOL.
  • Sharky6886Sharky6886 Join Date: 2019-01-24 Member: 249294Members
    How about you could build tubes in the back of your containers, probably costing 1 titanium each piece that you can hook up to your machineries. That way it’s less annoiying and pretty realistic.
  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
    Can you say that in a different way? Do you mean tubes connecting the lockers so you can scroll through them from the nearest one? If that's what you mean, then i agree 100%.
    I like that post as it is, post again and get some fize!
  • PeeperSweeperPeeperSweeper Join Date: 2019-01-26 Member: 249425Members
    I get the not making sense thing but you can spawn a Neptune rocket out of practically nothing, so I think that they could pass it off as high-tech material teleportation, I guess
  • GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
    edited January 2019
    No, like this:

You have say a cabinet with some titanium and another one with copper.

A fabricator in the same room should be able to tap those cabinets to make, say, a beacon without you having to go rummaging through the cabinets directly. It's a QoL thing, and seriously in a hi-tech futuristic game where items are magically fabricated with lasers a la Star Trek replicators, it is suitably immersive.