Falling through the world in a prawn suit

senjazsenjaz Join Date: 2019-01-02 Member: 247840Members
So I'm playing hardcore on the PS4, I've set a beacon at the surface directly above the lost river entrance nearest the huge skeleton. I jump down in my prawn suit and the terrain didn't load. I didn't realise until I'd fallen over 700m and boosting too late; the sea floor at that point should have been about 600m or so. Prawn sinks past it's safe depth and I have to yank the power cable out the back of my console. So I'm left with a save that's half a day old. I suppose it could be worse - I could be dead. If that had happened I think I'd have just rage quit. These kinds of bugs are game breaking in hardcore.

Comments

• WaterBatmanWaterBatman UK Join Date: 2019-01-11 Member: 248543Members
    Couldnt you have paused the game then quit to the menu then loaded up the old save, rather than yank the power cord?
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    @WaterBatman unfortunately, hardcore autosaves.

They need to have something you can do to get out of being stuck in terrain and wrecks, especially for hardcore. Maybe have something the player can click in an options menu, and it checks for a player/vehicle being stuck, tele's them somewhere reasonable.
  • senjazsenjaz Join Date: 2019-01-02 Member: 247840Members
    Couldnt you have paused the game then quit to the menu then loaded up the old save, rather than yank the power cord?

As narfblat said, you can't choose when to save in hardcore. When you exit the game it saves, you can't save at any other time. When you die your save is automatically deleted. It's one thing to die from asphyxiation, dehydration, starvation or being eaten by a leviathan. You curse yourself and start again and do better. But when the game bugs and you lose all that work its infuriating. The last time it happened I jumped up in the locker room of the ship wreck and go clipped out of playable area, I was stuck and died.

One way of mitigating the problem without having to find a way of fixing it in all locations and geometry would be to check on death to see if the character is outside the normal play area. If you're deeper than the ground then respawn the character at the escape pod.
  • WaterBatmanWaterBatman UK Join Date: 2019-01-11 Member: 248543Members
    Ah ok, my bad. You have a very valid point then.
  • Reaper_Peeper101Reaper_Peeper101 wont tell Join Date: 2019-04-13 Member: 252304Members
    I feel bad for this dude, I mean...I don't usually do hardcore because I would die...hmmm...how many times? Oh yes, 1000000000000000000000 times. But the fact you made it to the Lost River without dying is incredible!
  • zackeyzackey Join Date: 2019-04-27 Member: 252602Members
    I just had the same problem but I play on computer (and thankfully I was playing normal survival). My build is sep-2018 61056
  • matt4223matt4223 Join Date: 2019-06-15 Member: 253375Members
    Same thing just happened to me in the acid caves. I saved and quit, hoping the game would restore me in a sensible location - it didn't, I was still falling. Fortunately I didn't die, though I ditched my prawn to the depths. With seaglide and ultra high capacity tank I just made it, turns out the glitch works in the other direction, though I still needed to navigate the caves. Think I'll start bringing spare tanks for future deep dives.
  • ArceashhArceashh Join Date: 2019-06-16 Member: 253384Members
    Basic spoilers:

Hey mate, this has happened to me twice now. First time was last night; an hour and a half worth of resources and blue tablet finding and I used a portal between two of the precursor bases, jumped through into the little water basin bit in the one close to the island and got stuck inside the ground, couldn't get out so had to take the upgrades out of the suit and kill myself, I just made a new suit and literally went back to go through the portal and I got glitched yet again so I simply restarted my save but that's now an hour and a half lost. I love the game but due to my limited time as a result of other activities I can't play it properly when I spend more time making up for bugs than actually playing.
  • atomroflmanatomroflman Join Date: 2019-07-07 Member: 253646Members
    Hey, I've got the same problem twice on PC.
    Only had the suit for 2 seconds. That sucks. :(
  • IRISHANIRISHAN Join Date: 2019-07-11 Member: 253689Members
    That Happend To Me On My PS4, I Was In The Lost River. Got Out Of My Suit, Then Got In, And Fell Down To 2500m. Also When I First Made My Suit It Was Stuck In The Sky, I Had To Use A Propulsion Cannon To Shoot A Small Rock At It. (Which Worked Only Partially)