Cyclops Suggestions.

HongChongDongHongChongDong Join Date: 2018-12-23 Member: 246766Members
Just some ideas for if you guys ever feel a need to tweak the Cyclops.

The first was to add in all of the necessary internals as prebuilt modules that're already in the Cyclops, then add in a feature to control the power flow to all of the internals. The point would be to make the Cyclops feel more functional and full when you actually get it as opposed to it feeling empty at first then it being up to you to build it up. The power control would also help conserve your energy more instead of constantly getting drained.

The second was to increase the storage capacity of the built in lockers and then fill in the locker room with more compartments. It's weird that the walls were textured to have sections for the lockers and then small shelve units above them but weren't given any more than a handful. If that would get added that'd be a really nice QOL improvement.

Final idea was a rework for the power generator options. The cyclops lacks a solar option all together and the thermal reactor seems really weak, so with the idea of adding in a solar option I thought of a solution to make both strong and also make them into cooler functions. The idea is that instead of passively generating energy you instead "Deploy" the cyclops either into a solar generator or thermal generator mode. When it activates it shuts down all power to the engine, shield generator, and becomes completely stationary. During the deployed mode it regenerates alot more energy than before but the trade off is that you can't move and can't use your defensive measures.

I'm not sure how the devs see the role for the Cyclops but I personally don't see a problem with it becoming a self sufficient mobile base, especially if the energy generator upgrades are already pretty late game which could justify their usefulness pretty easily. In the end though those are nothing more than suggestions and probably aren't worth taking time away from Below Zero. Love the game and can't wait to get my hands on the new expansion. May the UWE team have a happy new years!

Comments

• AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
    I think an upgrade that lets the cyclops save energy is a great idea, and it would go along with my two ideas.

A:
    Something that would boost power to the engine, allowing the props to move faster and cause the cyclops to move quicker

B:
    More energy to the lights, maybe enough to shine 12 to 15 meters ahead of the cyclops
  • MeadesJeffMeadesJeff Canada Join Date: 2019-01-01 Member: 247730Members
    Why would you want to remove the option to customize your Cyclops as you see fit? If that's what you mean in your first suggestion.

I see a lot of people complaining about energy use of the Cyclops, which I find really strange. I never once experienced an energy shortage on the Cyclops except for when I explored some lava sections without the thermal mod and had 20 lava bugs stuck to my ship. And then when you get the Ion Power Cells, you basically never have to recharge for the rest of the game.

Are you guys constantly running in silent mode or something? What are you doing that's draining your power so much? If you're down in caves you can use the thermal mod to recharge, and if you're up just go to your base when you need to recharge and while you're waiting craft whatever you need at your base so you don't drain your Cyclops' cells. Better yet, craft several spare power cells, so you can swap out and don't have to wait, and also good for in an emergency. I always had atleast 2 spare cells on my Cyclops, and I never had to use them once.
  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
    I don't have a problem with my power going out, i have replacements on the chargers for when the power is out, i just think having an upgrade to get MORE power so my cyclops will run longer and more upgrades like my lights idea will be able to run.
  • RivynRivyn United States Join Date: 2018-12-26 Member: 247146Members
    The first. . . eh, I like that I can customize mine as I see fit. I'd like actual snap points, however, instead of things attaching to the floating hitboxes.

The second, yes, but only for the available storage compartments. I usually build my equipment on the other wall. What would be nice is if you do build something down there, or anywhere else on the ship, is that they're be built inside the walls, instead of on them.

The third, yes. I am all for that. Be nice to save some materials, since I tend to build small bases everywhere just to have power cell chargers ready for my Cyclops.

• ZX52ZX52 Join Date: 2019-01-22 Member: 249160Members
    One QOL improvement I would like is to be able to use the repair tool on the docked vehicle from the access hatch, so you don't have to undock the vehicle and swim around in potentially dangerous areas
    Agreed, i got attacked be three sand sharks having to get out, but staying in your docked vehicle while repairing lessens the realism of the game, don't you think? Plus it lessens your alertness being safe, plus again, drawing away the creature that damaged your vehicle is more fun, and it prevents them from causing further damage for a time while you're repairing.
    Just my opinion that's all, feel free to disagree, so post and drink some sparkling-tea, LOL.
  • huntercas315huntercas315 Join Date: 2019-01-21 Member: 249106Members
    Isn’t there a auto repair module?
    Yah, but I've not gotten that.
    Btw, how do u post a topic? I haven't figured that out...
  • gavin1988gavin1988 Oxford England Join Date: 2019-01-28 Member: 249528Members
    A solar power for the Cyclops is a good idea and for the prawnsuit would be better aswell..the way i recharge the Cyclops is put the cells in my prawnsuit and leave that in the moonpool and yeah I also have a locker full of them just in case and the thermal reactors are good just build a few platforms next to a geyser and it charges the cells while you mine stuff and it would be a good idea to be able to use the repair gun on your vehicle while it's docked in the moonpool as yeah ok i get your point about it possible making the game less realistic but when I got a reaper on my ass I'd like to be able to repair without being eaten alive and in real life you would be able to use the repair gun on your vehicle while it's docked in the moonpool? At first I thought what's the point of only getting the ion power upgrade right at the end of the game then i realized you are able to explore without those f***ing warpers slowing you down
  • AltaziAltazi Join Date: 2019-01-16 Member: 248807Members
    I would like to be able to install the nuclear reactor in the Cyclops. I have nukes in all of my seabases, and they rock! Strong, steady power, relatively infrequent fuel rod replacement, not dependent upon external heat or sunlight . . . It's a natural solution.

Also talking about the cyclops, is there a way to adjust the pitch, i.e., dive angle? If not, there should be . . .
    Seriously, how do i post a topic for a new discussion?
  • electric5000electric5000 NY Join Date: 2019-06-18 Member: 253416Members
    With regards to how quickly the Cyclops' engines overheat...

A good upgrade idea and one that is actually used in the real world is to use the water to cool the engines. As the engine works hard to propel the sub the heat could be siphoned with a heatsink and transferred into the water. Alternatively water can be pulled into small tubes which go through the engines to transfer heat into the water before it exits the sub.

Perhaps this could be balanced where certain creatures may be drawn to the warmth of the water coming from the sub.
  • pathboundpathbound usa Join Date: 2019-07-01 Member: 253555Members
    I would love to have light options on each camera. Would help a lot when navigating in the dark without sonar.... with the same light production as the headlights.
  • ThatCamoKidThatCamoKid Join Date: 2019-07-31 Member: 254018Members
    ZX52 wrote: »
    One QOL improvement I would like is to be able to use the repair tool on the docked vehicle from the access hatch, so you don't have to undock the vehicle and swim around in potentially dangerous areas

you can use it from below if you go into the vehicle bay. also, there's a cyclops upgrade that allows the cyclops to repair a vehicle in the vehicle bay
    Personally, I feel the cyclops needs a more repellent defense option. yeah, the shield generator and decoy module are very nice, I'm sure (I don't have the former and I can't figure out where I make the latter), but when a reaper leviathan is actually there attacking your cyclops there's little to no way to get out of that situation. it's too fast for you to run away, and I doubt it's be fooled by a decoy when it can see you

My suggestion: add an upgrade that gives the cameras the ability to fire a charged electrical pulse, like a directed (and more powerful) version of the seamoth perimeter defense system. it would also be a great tool to get lava larva off the cyclops without having to venture out into the open, a risky maneuver because a) the heat is damaging unless you have the thermal suit or a prawn suit, and b) depending on where you are, it's dangerous because of the lava lizards and sea dragon leviathan
    also, it's annoying having to go into the hatch, through the door, and then up a ladder just to get to the bridge. There should be a top or side hatch that goes straight to the bridge