Using beacons to create a map

RivynRivyn United States Join Date: 2018-12-26 Member: 247146Members
We don't have a map ingame. Why not give beacons the ability to 'ping,' generating a sonar map of the surrounding area, that could transmit the data to either a console at a base's scanner room and/or your PDA. If you have a few beacons in a given area, it'll create a much stronger ping, allowing for a larger map to be generated.

To balance it out, said beacons would require juice in order to use their sonar. Maybe tie them in with a power transmitter to keep them powered, or slap a few batteries in.

It just bugs me that we have the tech to build a rocket, but not one to properly create a map for ourselves.

Comments

• AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
    True, good idea, and i think we can do something like that though, you could create a map on paper and use that.

(Question: How do you create a topic?)
  • ryansearcyakryansearcyak Alaska Join Date: 2018-03-01 Member: 238451Members
    Beacons would only be used to mark points on a map (which if there was a map, it would show the points), but I think as far as actually mapping the world, it would be done with the Scanner Room and/or the Seamoth and Cyclops Sonar. Those 3 things actively scan the environment either to locate resources (Scanner Room), or to navigate (Sonar modules).
  • RivynRivyn United States Join Date: 2018-12-26 Member: 247146Members
    Beacons would only be used to mark points on a map (which if there was a map, it would show the points), but I think as far as actually mapping the world, it would be done with the Scanner Room and/or the Seamoth and Cyclops Sonar. Those 3 things actively scan the environment either to locate resources (Scanner Room), or to navigate (Sonar modules).

I know what everything does, and how they're used. I'm talking about a new function added, which uses these tools to create a map you can pop open at any time to mark out as you see fit.
  • Haze33EHaze33E Michigan,USA Join Date: 2018-12-30 Member: 247574Members
    They could add a new craftable item Sonar Buoy which would be a solar powered buoy that sits on the water surface and maps the sea floor with sonar.
  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
    edited February 2019
    Or you had to guess and draw what you think the world might look like.

(I've been told how to create a topic, which you can probably see, I've actually made two, one of them is somewhat turning into a topic other than the original.)
  • PalanovaPalanova Join Date: 2019-02-03 Member: 250260Members
    There are some error on the solar powered Sound Bouy. Solar panel work only approx. 200m and above. And what if I place a Sonar Bouy in a cave? Or under 200m depth?

And the Sonar Bouy have to be some kind of range, or operating bubble, coverage, where it can map its surrounding area. Let's take it also 200m. This kind of Sonar Bouy won't operate on 201m+ depth.
    So, either you need another kind of Sonar Bouy, what need power somewhere else, like a replacable Energy Cell, or you can feed it with power from another source, like a power generator or powered base and using Power Transmitter to get the power to the bouy (and tha data back).
    Or we can mold these Sonar Bouys into a Sonar Bouy:
    - that mapping it's surrounding in 200m
    - powered via Solar power if it is above 200m, under it, or in a cave, you need another power source, what can be: Energy Cell, or from a nearby under power Power Transmitter.

Also, you need another Room, like Mapping Room, or using a Scanner Room.
    Ok, i understood half of that, if i ge the rest some time, i'll change this post to, "Ok, good idea, and point."
  • VoluspaVoluspa Old Earth Join Date: 2019-02-04 Member: 250375Members
    Rivyn wrote: »
    It just bugs me that we have the tech to build a rocket, but not one to properly create a map for ourselves.

I quite agree with this as it seems some kind of simple map should be within the PDA's abilities. Personally I think the PDA should basically map everywhere you've been - without making a detailed map of it perhaps, but if you then add the ability to "ping" areas, by telling the PDA to save a point/coordinates, you could easily make your own in game map of wrecks, the floating island etc. without using beacons all over the place. (Then again, you might want to keep a reason for having beacons somewhere.)

I know there are maps on the fansite already, but on my first playthrough I tried to be "scientific" about things and imagine how I'd act if it was real. I really missed mapping possibilities (and if you're stranded on an alien planet you probably don't have pen and paper handy, anyway! :) ) and at one point used a bare wall and signs (loads of copper wire...). I also tried to use screenshots to "document" my findings, but with no info attached you quickly forget which wreck was where...