Playstation Framerate Problem

MrFurious1000MrFurious1000 Join Date: 2018-12-20 Member: 246499Members
As most of you on the PS4 or PS4 Pro (like myself) know, we have a slowly growing framerate problem as you progress thru the game. I wanted to make a thread so we can hopefully remedy this IF possible. If anyone has any success in reducing the stutter please share with us.
I have tried a couple things but no success.
1. Rebuild Database, I tried this and it felt like it didnt do anything
2. Avoid building certain structures (This one is currently still ongoing, I havent found any specific building but the framerate drops when I get closer to my home base)

Please share any info you might think be helpful in finding exactly whats going on here

Comments

• dennisohareTXdennisohareTX Arlington, TX, USA Join Date: 2018-12-26 Member: 247198Members
    edited December 2018
    On a PS4 Pro here. The framerate is all over the place for me. Sometimes, with very little on the screen, it slows to a crawl. Sometimes, with a lot on the screen, it remains smooth. Transitioning from say your Seamoth to a base or surfacing causes massive framerate drops but sometimes it doesn’t. You’re not alone here. It just feels like the game needs a serious tune-up and better hardware optimization for the PS4 and PS4 Pro platforms. On a Pro, I would expect this title to be silky smooth. Hopefully, we’ll get a new patch soon that will smooth things out. I wonder if regular PS4 (not Pro) users are seeing the same problem.
  • MrFurious1000MrFurious1000 Join Date: 2018-12-20 Member: 246499Members
    I did clear the cache in my ps4 and there definatly was an improvement. It still has framerate issues but I do suggest ALL that have this issue to do this to give you some improvement

To delete PS4 cache
    1. Turn off Playstation 4. Wait until it is completely off. Do not put into rest mode
    2. Unplug PS4 from electrical outlet for at least 30 seconds
    3. Plug in PS4 and start up
    4. Cache will be cleared
  • TyderfTyderf Join Date: 2015-12-31 Member: 210696Members
    Framerate gets progessively worse as you progress through the game on PC too so it is not just a problem with PS4.
    edited December 2018
    Im somewhat new to Subnautica. Its this framerate problem a newer problem or has this always been a PC issue and now it just has been transferred over to consoles?
  • Carneirolucas015Carneirolucas015 Brazil, Bahia Join Date: 2019-01-08 Member: 248368Members
    Heeeeey someone pls come solve this problem for us. Thank u.

I did find that flood lights significantly increase frame rate around your base. So if you have any form of artificial lights that you built around your base deconstruct them. This will help
  • Carneirolucas015Carneirolucas015 Brazil, Bahia Join Date: 2019-01-08 Member: 248368Members

I did find that flood lights significantly increase frame rate around your base. So if you have any form of artificial lights that you built around your base deconstruct them. This will help

Thank you, but I don't have any artificial lights around my base
  • madsaucemadsauce San Francisco Join Date: 2013-06-02 Member: 185442Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica PT Lead
    Would either of you be able to share a video of the base and slow down? If you send an in-game feedback and mention "madsauce" in the text field I can try to reproduce the issue and pass it along to Panic Button team.
    Sorry, I don't know how to do this
    madsauce wrote: »
    Would either of you be able to share a video of the base and slow down? If you send an in-game feedback and mention "madsauce" in the text field I can try to reproduce the issue and pass it along to Panic Button team.

• senjazsenjaz Join Date: 2019-01-02 Member: 247840Members
    I've had similar issues on my PS4 Pro. I've heard that disabling the pro's over sampling and using boost mode helps when outputting to a 1080p TV. I'm just starting a new hardcore game so I won't know for sure if it helps until my base building has advanced further.
  • senjazsenjaz Join Date: 2019-01-02 Member: 247840Members
    Disabling oversampling on the PS4 Pro didn't help. Still have frame rate stutters. One area that always seems to suffer from it is at the leviathan skeleton side to the lost river. Travelling from there to the alien research centre causes the game to stutter for 20 seconds or so.
  • NansenNansen Join Date: 2017-06-02 Member: 230896Members

Not sure how to do this, but I also have a PS4 with framerate issues with a medium sized base. I could try to send a video but i think i need a better expleination on how/where to send and capture video on PS4.
  • madsaucemadsauce San Francisco Join Date: 2013-06-02 Member: 185442Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica PT Lead
    I'll pass along this information to the team at Panic Button and see if any more details would be helpful, thank you all for the responses. Sorry for the major, progressively worse, slow downs you all are experiencing.
  • Canadian_KeystoneCanadian_Keystone Canada Join Date: 2019-01-13 Member: 248645Members
    2. Avoid building certain structures (This one is currently still ongoing, I havent found any specific building but the framerate drops when I get closer to my home base)

Yep. I had to build my base as small as possible, and couldn't use a moonpool in order to keep the FPS in respectable limits. (I'm using a PS4). It doesn't matter though, their save glitch "feature" reverted me back hours, so it's like I had never built it at all! :D

• querantinoquerantino Germany Join Date: 2019-01-17 Member: 248870Members

I can try this today.can i make a Sample video with the Feedback option in this game?
    querantino wrote: »

I can try this today.can i make a Sample video with the Feedback option in this game?

Unfortunately no, no video but if you can get a nice view of the base that is better than nothing(it will send us a screen capture).
  • querantinoquerantino Germany Join Date: 2019-01-17 Member: 248870Members

Unfortunately no, no video but if you can get a nice view of the base that is better than nothing(it will send us a screen capture).

Feedback is split in 2 messages.starts with madsauce ?

Feedback is split in 2 messages.starts with madsauce ?

I've got them, thank you. I also got two from other people yesterday and today so thanks there too.
  • willogunswilloguns Australia Join Date: 2019-04-20 Member: 252462Members
    I notice that these posts were made a few months ago, I am thinking of getting this game on my PS4 because my computer is a toaster lol. I was wondering if most of these bugs/glitches have been fixed?
    I’m fine with a minimum of 20 FPS as I am used to it on my laptop.
  • FEARTRA1NFEARTRA1N Oregon, USA Join Date: 2019-07-21 Member: 253854Members
    willoguns wrote: »
    I notice that these posts were made a few months ago, I am thinking of getting this game on my PS4 because my computer is a toaster lol. I was wondering if most of these bugs/glitches have been fixed?
    I’m fine with a minimum of 20 FPS as I am used to it on my laptop.

I originally held off at first too from people warning others about its “unplayable gamebreaking issues” but few weeks back I had too strong of a survival game itch, so I went for it... and only regret I have is not having bought it sooner. The game is perfectly playable and not broken, PSNPROFILES site I frequent shows that 20 percent of registered members who own Subnautica have earned the platinum, which is really high considering it’s a 60 plus hour game to plat.

NOW REGARDING THE PS4 PERFORMANCE ISSUES:
    Reading thru forums like these, it sort of gives you the impression that these issues are more frequent and gamebreaking than they really are. Now none of them are untrue, (except the save glitch now, as that one has been patched since) I’m currently 80 hours in, and after tons of experimenting and researching this topic online i’ve figured out ways to MINIMIZE the frame rate drops.

TIPS TO MINIMIZE FRAMERATE (you don’t have to worry as much until toward endgame):
    - Don’t get too carried away with BASEBUILDING. Have one main base with everything you need, and any others serving as a sort of small but efficient pit stop. (Like with only a scanner room and one room with a garden). Definitely only have ONE MOONPOOL TOTAL, they seem to be the biggest memory hog.
    - LIMIT GARDEN SIZE just the essentials, like for crafting or eating only.
    - LIMIT LIGHTS, I’d actually recommend no lights.
    - DON’T DROP ITEMS recklessly everywhere. Limit if you can. The game remembers all inventory items forever wherever you dropped them. While a cool feature for sure, it comes with a price. Memory space. So try and limit this if you can.
    - REMEMBER WHERE YOU DIE, especially if you die frequently within the same area since the loot you lost when you died will be at that spot from there on.
    - I only read about this one, there are certain spots such as the alien vents that will cook the fish if they get too close. Which after turning into inventory would follow the rule of never disappearing. One guy had a picture of hundreds under the vent of rotten cooked fish that were tanking his framerate. I believe it was cause he built a base near a vent and they collected overtime.

I’m pretty sure there’s more, but will edit at a later time when I have time

• FEARTRA1NFEARTRA1N Oregon, USA Join Date: 2019-07-21 Member: 253854Members
    Ok so, I’m new to this site and I can’t seem to figure out how you edit posts. I’m on an iPad.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    edited July 2019
    @FEARTRAIN try it now. To fight against spambots, many features are delayed to new users. The first options, including starting a new post, are locked until 1 post and one day has past. Full posting permissions are 15 days, 30 posts, if I remember correctly.