ns2_tanith (Zav edition)

ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts Posts: 756 admin
edited December 2018 in Mapping
I'm working on a new version of Tanith, currently its all graybox. @pSyk0mAn has provided the rough layout, and I'm mapping it out. TWO DOUBLES.

Workshop link!

Layout!
LBWmsiu.jpg

Old Wing (Marine Start)! This is prone to change.
hzKqOog.jpg

New Skybox!
lak2hjj.jpg

All rooms are WIP, layout is also still WIP.
CDT Map Testing Lead and NA Playtesting Whip
Steam / Watch live video from zavaro on Twitch / Twitter
Have a bug in NS2? Report it in the thread! If you can, post how to reproduce it, or private message me on the forum!
pSyk0mAnThe_Welsh_Wizard.trixX.KasharicIeptBarakatG_LockVetinariSupaFred

Comments

  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members Posts: 856 Advanced user
    TWO doubles?
    6vwbvnvkkd7s.gif
    NO Cyril, when they're dead they're just hookers!
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester Posts: 957 Advanced user
    So where is the 5th TP? :tongue:
    return to zero
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members Posts: 622 Advanced user
    Mephilles wrote: »
    So where is the 5th TP? :tongue:

    Nuked by the laser.

    Another remake, another nerf to vents, and largely unrecognisable. Great job with eliminating ladders and introducing cysts UWE!
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer Posts: 685 Advanced user
    Aeglos wrote: »
    Mephilles wrote: »
    So where is the 5th TP? :tongue:

    Nuked by the laser.

    Another remake, another nerf to vents, and largely unrecognisable. Great job with eliminating ladders and introducing cysts UWE!

    Wow, aren't you a positive person!
    Meph isn't an NSL admin anymore!

    #blameHefty
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue Posts: 379 Advanced user
    Aeglos wrote: »
    Mephilles wrote: »
    So where is the 5th TP? :tongue:

    Nuked by the laser.

    Another remake, another nerf to vents, and largely unrecognisable. Great job with eliminating ladders and introducing cysts UWE!

    Aren't ladders in the game...?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 2,679 Advanced user
    Sadly a lot of ns1 gameplay environments aren't possible to replicate due to how ns2 was designed, which is why ns2 remakes are often a recreation rather than a remaster.
    .trixX.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members Posts: 622 Advanced user
    Kasharic wrote: »
    Aeglos wrote: »
    Mephilles wrote: »
    So where is the 5th TP? :tongue:

    Nuked by the laser.

    Another remake, another nerf to vents, and largely unrecognisable. Great job with eliminating ladders and introducing cysts UWE!

    Wow, aren't you a positive person!

    I reflect the reality of the situation. Half of the excitement of a remake is nostalgia and I look and find memorable areas eliminated or otherwise significantly changed. To make it even more depressing, I understand the need for the changes.

    Even if the remake is good, its still sad to see some things that were integral to the identity of the map gone. I still miss the revolving doors in ns_bast.
    Nintendows wrote: »
    Aeglos wrote: »
    Mephilles wrote: »
    So where is the 5th TP? :tongue:

    Nuked by the laser.

    Another remake, another nerf to vents, and largely unrecognisable. Great job with eliminating ladders and introducing cysts UWE!

    Aren't ladders in the game...?

    Aliens aren't able to climb ladders in NS2 because it looks odd (no hands). It's not as big an issue as cysts, but it forces the mapper to have to significantly change the map layout. They had to remake ns2_veil because onos keep getting stuck in dome after veil was released as an official ns2 map.
    Sadly a lot of ns1 gameplay environments aren't possible to replicate due to how ns2 was designed, which is why ns2 remakes are often a recreation rather than a remaster.

    Yep. Mappers have to put a lot of changes to make it work. And even then, it might still not work. What is so "dynamic" about cyst infestation again?
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter Posts: 773 Advanced user
    I honestly don't think that cysts are the limiting factor. Or MACs, ARCs, or drifters. If a route is only connected by a ladder, it just doesn't play well, no matter if every lifeform can climb it or not.

    I would even say, NS1 maps can get away with a lot of bad stuff because the game concept was much newer and maps more experimental. NS2 maps have a lot more requirements because there is much better knowleddge now what works and what doesn't.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer Posts: 685 Advanced user
    I would rather see a map re-imagined and evolve to stay relevant to the IP, than see it lost and forgotten.
    Meph isn't an NSL admin anymore!

    #blameHefty
    SupaFredRuneStorm
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members Posts: 622 Advanced user
    I honestly don't think that cysts are the limiting factor. Or MACs, ARCs, or drifters. If a route is only connected by a ladder, it just doesn't play well, no matter if every lifeform can climb it or not.

    I would even say, NS1 maps can get away with a lot of bad stuff because the game concept was much newer and maps more experimental. NS2 maps have a lot more requirements because there is much better knowleddge now what works and what doesn't.

    Have you played the game pre-gorgeous? Marines can easily lock aliens down, especially on veil. Also this limits what mappers can do because they have to work within the constraints of allowing aliens to cyst.

    Ladders add variability. Since NS1 maps usually have lots of ladders, it makes remakes harder. Sometimes remaking a room into a slope or ramp just doesn't work.

    Yeah, NS1 maps had a lot of "bad stuff", so do NS2 maps. And mappers are going to try to make maps that are able to work with the game. Your point?
    Kasharic wrote: »
    I would rather see a map re-imagined and evolve to stay relevant to the IP, than see it lost and forgotten.

    So you like unrecognisable maps or maps that don't play well just because they share the same name and/or have a vague resemblance? Talk about putting the cart before the horse. How is that doing for eclipse by the way?


    I do like what @pSyk0mAn did with origin, although it saddens me how much of the vents he had to take out. This layout of tanith makes me sadder. And one day when bast, which by the way, featured ladders and elevators, comes out without the underwater tunnel, I'll cry.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer Posts: 685 Advanced user
    Aeglos wrote: »
    Kasharic wrote: »
    I would rather see a map re-imagined and evolve to stay relevant to the IP, than see it lost and forgotten.

    So you like unrecognisable maps or maps that don't play well just because they share the same name and/or have a vague resemblance? Talk about putting the cart before the horse. How is that doing for eclipse by the way?

    I think you completely missed the point of what I just said.

    Re-imagining a map = NOT keeping the same layout while still keeping the same theme... so you can recognize that they come from the same idea, but play well given the new game mechanics.

    Second, I literally just made a pun to try to stop the derailment of this thread going any further. So now i'll say it in a more obvious way... If you have an issue with Tanith being remade/reimagined so be it, but stop spamming the thread of someone putting creativity and content into ns2. If it helps you be more constructive, ignore the name, just look at the map and give constructive feedback to make the map more enjoyable to play.
    Meph isn't an NSL admin anymore!

    #blameHefty
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members Posts: 622 Advanced user
    Kasharic wrote: »
    Aeglos wrote: »
    Kasharic wrote: »
    I would rather see a map re-imagined and evolve to stay relevant to the IP, than see it lost and forgotten.

    So you like unrecognisable maps or maps that don't play well just because they share the same name and/or have a vague resemblance? Talk about putting the cart before the horse. How is that doing for eclipse by the way?

    I think you completely missed the point of what I just said.

    Re-imagining a map = NOT keeping the same layout while still keeping the same theme... so you can recognize that they come from the same idea, but play well given the new game mechanics.

    Second, I literally just made a pun to try to stop the derailment of this thread going any further. So now i'll say it in a more obvious way... If you have an issue with Tanith being remade/reimagined so be it, but stop spamming the thread of someone putting creativity and content into ns2. If it helps you be more constructive, ignore the name, just look at the map and give constructive feedback to make the map more enjoyable to play.

    I'm sorry, what was the pun?

    You also completely ignored the point I was making, so whatever.

    No, I don't have an issue with tanith being remade. I was just expressing my disappointment with how the mapper has to change the map to make it viable for NS2. As far as being constructive goes, I don't see you calling out Mephilles tongue in cheek remark about a 5TP. Or a gif that expresses an emotion. So constructive. If you want only positive reinforcement, say so. Here, good job guys for overcoming the obstacles inherent in NS2 when adapting an NS1 map. There.

    And I made a remark and am then replying to remarks directed at me. How does that become "spam"? Are your remarks not spam too then?
  • XaleXale Paris / France Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24767Members Posts: 154 Advanced user
    Just tested, it's seems good and promising. Has it been playtested a bit ?
    Old NS1.0 player (JP/HMG for the win)
    Mapper (de_mangashop for CS1.6 / CSS / CS:GO )
    ns2_hera2018 : https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/155092/ns2-hera2018
    ns2_nancy2019 : https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/155726/ns2-nancy2019
    ns2_nancy_veil : https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/155851/ns2-nancy-veil
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts Posts: 756 admin
    It has not. I'm still in the process of detailing areas so that testing can actually come to a consensus on what needs changing.

    CDT Map Testing Lead and NA Playtesting Whip
    Steam / Watch live video from zavaro on Twitch / Twitter
    Have a bug in NS2? Report it in the thread! If you can, post how to reproduce it, or private message me on the forum!
Sign In or Register to comment.