Optimize Habitat Feature Placement

odst21711odst21711 Join Date: 2018-12-04 Member: 245139Members
edited December 2018 in Ideas and Suggestions
So, I love the current features and I can see a lot of potential for this aspect of the game. That being said, it bothers me when it seems like I should be able to put something in a certain place inside a habitat, but it won't let me. I'm sure there are reasons for all this, but a guy can dream can't he?

Things like (not being able to place a bed anywhere but the center and the cardinal sides of a second floor multipurpose room, and at the same time being able to put a coffee machine on a water filtration machine) kind of pick at me.

I'd like to do things like place aquariums and lockers flush against walls, place toys and other things on shelves, put a potted plant on a table, place a chair pushed in under a desk, maybe even put a sign on the ceiling above my bed.

I've also been kind of frustrated with the habitat modules themselves. It seems like sometimes I can fabricate something right up next to the terrain, and then not be able to construct the same thing within the first few feet of the seabed. Foundations in particular are pretty annoying, because it's just pretty difficult in general to place them anywhere but open water, and they snap to the modules in such a way that they take up more space than the modules themselves. More often than not, the mass of poles sticking into the seafloor associated with these things leads to some pretty horrendous sights.

All in all, it'd be great to have a sleeker, more intuitive habitat construction experience.

Comments

• MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    Haven't played in a few months, waiting for the next big pc patch, but placing toys and other trinkets in shelves is doable.

The rest I do agree with, specially the part about the poles that sustain the base.
  • odst21711odst21711 Join Date: 2018-12-04 Member: 245139Members
    Let me rephrase, I
    Maalteromm wrote: »
    Haven't played in a few months, waiting for the next big pc patch, but placing toys and other trinkets in shelves is doable.

The rest I do agree with, specially the part about the poles that sustain the base.

Let me rephrase, you can't do it inside of a cyclops. I kind of wanted that toy on the dashboard feeling.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    Can't say, never tried it.

I haven't built cyclops in a long time. It feels like it lacks a proper role in the game.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    odst21711 wrote: »
    Let me rephrase, I

Let me rephrase, you can't do it inside of a cyclops. I kind of wanted that toy on the dashboard feeling.

If anything, I'd suggest the Decorations Mod, which fixes this issue.

However, a non-modded solution would be nicer.
    edited December 2018
    Can't say, never tried it.

I haven't built cyclops in a long time. It feels like it lacks a proper role in the game.

I consider it practically as a large mobile base. I'll build many lockers and a growbed. It's useful for massive storage and charging your vehicles. It also serves as a safe way to explore deep and open waters, especially useful if you're using the Prawn suit, due to the Prawn's speed and both of the vehicle's crush depths. I prefer the Seamoth because it's extremely mobile, but it can't go as deep as the Prawn (or the Cyclops), or safely collect resources.

I usually take the Cyclops out when I know I'm spending a while, or when I go past 2K+ away from my base, or into extremely dangerous waters (often these things will overlap for me). I always am charging a set of power cells in my base, and store a backup set inside the Cyclops itself.

I find building multiple bases consumes unnecessary amounts of resources, so the Cyclops fits my needs well.
  • Cylus13Cylus13 Join Date: 2018-12-11 Member: 245453Members
    One of the habitat features I would like to see is a better storage option for mid to late game. Lockers are great for early game. But what about late game and when you have a lot of stuff. What I would like to see would be a form of digitizing storage. After all the Fabricator turns raw materials into energy before reforming it into what you want. Has any one here played modded Minecraft. The mod I'm referring to is Refined Storage.

My idea would be to make hard drive holders that are three shapes. Two for your habitat and one for the cyclops. The two for the habitat would be square and triangle and would fit together in the multi-purpose room to take up the whole space but only take up a third of the room's height and to have them stack able. Have an interface so that you can put stuff in and take it out. All hard drive bays would like though out the habitat like the electrical. This system would further balance it's self by needing power to access your stuff.

Further more with an upgrade item that can be used on any of the crafting terminals, something like a network card, you could just go to your fabricator and have any items that you have the mats for would high light so you could just craft what you need.

Maybe even let us add a network card to our habitat builder so that when we are within 25 meters of our habitat that has this storage system, our habitat builder would just pull mats for the drives.

In my opinion this would not change the game. Only make some things faster. Let me know if I should make this into it's own topic.
  • jamescoolcrafter15jamescoolcrafter15 Canada Join Date: 2018-11-10 Member: 244612Members
    Make a list of what you want in the game.
    Make a list of what you want in the game.

Nah. It's more of a discussion than a referendum.