Functional Combat System

willdoesytwilldoesyt Join Date: 2018-07-25 Member: 242468Members
It would be nice to see some typ

Comments

• JustAHatJustAHat Join Date: 2018-04-25 Member: 240316Members
    the purpose of the game is to explore, avoid, outsmart
    not engage in combat
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Attention all Aurora passengers!

Due to recent events regarding Obraxis Prime, survival fabricators can no longer create weaponry. This is due to the abuse of a lifepod's survival fabricator on the ship A-348, in which a group of citizens abused it to create functioning weapons and massacre the planet's inhabitants. Sadly, to prevent further abuse, the Survival Knife is the only weapon available to be crafted in the event of an emergency. If you have any concerns, please contact Alterra Customer Service at 1-800-Alterra on a long-range transmitter. Please, enjoy your trip on the Aurora.
  • ShrekislifeShrekislife Shrek's Grand Swamp Join Date: 2018-07-31 Member: 242594Members
    Attention all Aurora passengers!

Due to recent events regarding Obraxis Prime, survival fabricators can no longer create weaponry. This is due to the abuse of a lifepod's survival fabricator on the ship A-348, in which a group of citizens abused it to create functioning weapons and massacre the planet's inhabitants. Sadly, to prevent further abuse, the Survival Knife is the only weapon available to be crafted in the event of an emergency. If you have any concerns, please contact Alterra Customer Service at 1-800-Alterra on a long-range transmitter. Please, enjoy your trip on the Aurora.

What he said
  • PocketNerdPocketNerd Dragon Falls Join Date: 2018-07-24 Member: 242442Members
    willdoesyt wrote: »
    It would be nice to see some typ

Subnautica's not really about combat, though. The game nudges you to understand and adapt to the ecosystem, not attempt to become a new apex predator.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    We are humans.
    We are the apex predators wherever we go.
  • ShrekislifeShrekislife Shrek's Grand Swamp Join Date: 2018-07-31 Member: 242594Members
    Maalteromm wrote: »
    We are humans.

The precursors were more advanced than us
  • ryansearcyakryansearcyak Alaska Join Date: 2018-03-01 Member: 238451Members
    edited August 2018
    We are humans.

The precursors were more advanced than us

1. They chose a water planet to study a deadly water-borne contagion.
    2. They thought it was a good idea to steal a Sea Dragon's egg without repercussions.
    3. They decided to imprison a Sea Emperor inside the magma chamber of a volcano, far away from their natural breeding grounds.
    4. They could not/would not listen to the Sea Emperor's pleas to release them and proceeded to destroy 2 of her eggs in order to find a cure, torturing the very creature that could have given the cure.
    5. They built warp gates that happen to go precisely where the hatching enzyme ingredients were located, but could not hatch the eggs.
    6. They created Warpers to kill diseased creatures at minimal efficiency
    7. They created the Enforcement Platform to indiscriminately shoot down ships without warning, yet it could be turned off by any non-diseased creature without regard of the continued existence of the disease.
    8. They literally had a device that can obliterate any organic material (i.e. the disease), but decided not to use it when the disease broke out.

Advanced does not always mean best.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Subnautica is not about combat.

It's about exploration.

If you want a game centered on combat, NS2 is a good place to start. It's by the same company, so I'm sure you'll have a ton of fun on that.

But as stated on many other threads, weapons would ruin the way people play Subnautica. It would become combat oriented, which would really detract from the original gameplay.
  • reverasterreveraster Join Date: 2018-08-05 Member: 242680Members
    What would you expect to accomplish trying to fight monsters that can rend through hardened titanium alloy with relative ease and are several stories in height?

A combat system would, in my eyes, consist of "let me shoot this" and then sudden, terrible, flesh-rending death at the hands of a super-leviathan on steroids.

The best combat system we have is the prawn suit - and if you ask me, that's sensible. The only way you could hope to survive the crushing bite of a fix 44x your size is in an exosuit.
  • BomooBomoo Join Date: 2018-02-05 Member: 236923Members
    JustAHat wrote: »
    not engage in combat

Maybe if you could point me to the toggle that turns off sea monster aggression while retaining all other aspects of the normal/hardcore survival experience, I'd be happy to swim around peacefully exploring and otherwise not engaging in combat. Until that time, I'm not going to abandon my desire for self defense tools because the developer got the bright idea to arbitrarily remove players' ability and positive incentive to kill any of the hostile sea creatures except by the most tedious imaginable method of stun+knife for half an hour. It gets to the point of being nonsensical, as with the aquarium and breeding sea creatures so you can chuck their corpses into the bio reactor.

And it's not like the idea is to stop you from killing. No, you kill plenty in this game, except the animals there is positive incentive to kill are all passive and totally defenseless. It's only when it gets to animals that pose even the slightest threat that your hands are tied and defending yourself becomes unrewarding and exceptionally tedious. Underwater coward simulator.

Easily the most boneheaded piece of design in this game, which otherwise would be very enjoyable.
  • JustAHatJustAHat Join Date: 2018-04-25 Member: 240316Members
    edited August 2018
    Bomoo wrote: »
    not engage in combat

Maybe if you could point me to the toggle that turns off sea monster aggression while retaining all other aspects of the normal/hardcore survival experience, I'd be happy to swim around peacefully exploring and otherwise not engaging in combat. Until that time, I'm not going to abandon my desire for self defense tools because the developer got the bright idea to arbitrarily remove players' ability and positive incentive to kill any of the hostile sea creatures except by the most tedious imaginable method of stun+knife for half an hour. It gets to the point of being nonsensical, as with the aquarium and breeding sea creatures so you can chuck their corpses into the bio reactor.

And it's not like the idea is to stop you from killing. No, you kill plenty in this game, except the animals there is positive incentive to kill are all passive and totally defenseless. It's only when it gets to animals that pose even the slightest threat that your hands are tied and defending yourself becomes unrewarding and exceptionally tedious. Underwater coward simulator.

Easily the most boneheaded piece of design in this game, which otherwise would be very enjoyable.

....you're supposed to avoid things, outsmart them, your post is basically just complaining about there being no easy way of killing things, when you're not supposed to kill the hostile creatures in the first place
  • ryansearcyakryansearcyak Alaska Join Date: 2018-03-01 Member: 238451Members
    Personally, I would only kill hostile creatures that are going to be a constant nuisance, especially in areas you frequently travel through. I had my base near the Mountain Island (Quarantine Enforcement Platform), and would use the Northern Blood Kelp Zone entrance to the Lost River, but every single trip, I would get hounded by Sand Sharks, so occasionally, I would kill a bunch of Sand Sharks to reduce the chance of conflict on these trips. Additionally, all Leviathans are relatively avoidable. No real need to kill Ghost or Sea Dragon Leviathans, and most places, you can avoid the Reaper Leviathans. I only killed one Reaper Leviathan near the Mountain Island because when I would go to put down Thermal Plants to power my base, one of the Reapers showed up, so I had to kill it, because I didn't want to deal with it whenever I wanted to mess with my Thermal Plants.
  • Q_bertQ_bert inactivelavart Join Date: 2018-05-08 Member: 240607Members
    We are humans.

Nope, we’re at about the same place on the food chain as herring. It’s true.

• jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    I perfer the fact Subnautica makes it so you can't easily kill hostile creatures. It makes it unique to other surivial games. Other surivial games make it so you can easily kill hostile creatures can become very easy once you get the tools to kill anything in a couple hits. Subnautica doesn't have any tools to make killing hostile creatures easy. So the difficulty is always there do you don't get bored as easily.
  • PocketNerdPocketNerd Dragon Falls Join Date: 2018-07-24 Member: 242442Members
    Bomoo wrote: »
    not engage in combat

I think you've mistaken Subnautica for a different genre.
  • TerroDark98TerroDark98 Join Date: 2018-08-08 Member: 242741Members
    The way Subnautica works is that you have to either avoid, or outsmart predators, not kill them.
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    edited August 2018
    Personally I was quite pleased to find a first person game that doesn't offer itself as yet another celebration of the human appetite to blow away all challengers. I mean, how many of those are there?

Maybe there's an argument here for more game modes, including one where casual players could "turn off" the predators. Personally I'd like to see more game modes included to emphasise altogether different game aspects.

But I think you've got very little chance to see carnage introduced: The developers have press released thay they started out with the idea of producing a low violence game fron the very beginning.

Meanwhile, if you're feeling oppressed maybe there's a mod at mod-nexus you might like.