Maybe a Workshop Page?

AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
edited July 2018 in Ideas and Suggestions
Let me start off by saying I have little technical experience with Unity.

I have no clue how hard it is to code things in it or get it to work.

Instead, here's how my idea goes:

The mod QMods, when installed via the .EXE, will edit the game to now have an open framework for mods. Basically, what it does it edit the framework in into the background, and create a new folder. Mods are simply dragged and dropped into this folder to get to work right.

Basically, my idea is the Subnautica devs edit the files to allow mods by default using the same methods as QMods, and when a new mod is made, subscribing to it on the workshop puts in the file that things like Qmods usually use.

This is all just for a more user-friendly idea, as just using QMods is easy and simple already.

I want to see your thoughts on this! Comment them below.

Comments

• MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    It would be awesome, but I find it unlikely since they are spreading to several platforms.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Maalteromm wrote: »
    It would be awesome, but I find it unlikely since they are spreading to several platforms.

While, yes, the fact it is going to many platforms may affect, it, we already have modding for PC either way. The thing I was suggesting really was just to make it a little more user-friendly and easier to do it.
  • reverasterreveraster Join Date: 2018-08-05 Member: 242680Members
    Modding unity is particularly difficult because of the way level design is handled. Levels are bundled into singular files and when procedural generation isn't introduced (which it is not in this case) then the developer would have to provide us with a way to edit the level files and make changes to the raw data. Then we would need a way to tell the level what to do with those edits and how to handle them.

It can be done, but it really is a bitch. Therefore, while a single modder can make a mod, designing a workshop around this kind of engine is almost as much work as making a game by itself, because the developer would have to create ways to interface with their systems, and even then the workshop would be limited to the tools/changes that the developer adds to the tool and therefore allows you to introduce - meaning at that point, those things might as well just be another game mode built into the game, since the devs pretty much had to make it anyway.

• TerroDark98TerroDark98 Join Date: 2018-08-08 Member: 242741Members
    I wouldn't mind seeing some mods for Subnautica.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    reveraster wrote: »
    Modding unity is particularly difficult because of the way level design is handled. Levels are bundled into singular files and when procedural generation isn't introduced (which it is not in this case) then the developer would have to provide us with a way to edit the level files and make changes to the raw data. Then we would need a way to tell the level what to do with those edits and how to handle them.

It can be done, but it really is a bitch. Therefore, while a single modder can make a mod, designing a workshop around this kind of engine is almost as much work as making a game by itself, because the developer would have to create ways to interface with their systems, and even then the workshop would be limited to the tools/changes that the developer adds to the tool and therefore allows you to introduce - meaning at that point, those things might as well just be another game mode built into the game, since the devs pretty much had to make it anyway.
    I wouldn't mind seeing some mods for Subnautica.

We already have a large modding community on the Nexus: https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica

Along with that, the modding community already has a discord which is linked in the main Subnautica Discord: https://discord.gg/UpWuWwq