Why do we still not have a map feature?

SilkSpiderSilkSpider Join Date: 2016-10-22 Member: 223305Members
Sorry, but your given reasons are codswallop. Yes the point of the game is exploration, and I do not see how being able to map out the world as you explore it could hurt the exploration aspect in the least. IMHO, getting lost is hair pullingly frustrating, not fun, not in the slightest. Yes there is a map mod, which I use and it makes exploring a bazillion times more fun for me, but why the devs won't put one in the game officially is something I do not understand.

Comments

• TheBoss097TheBoss097 Join Date: 2018-04-25 Member: 240313Members
    I think it is good that we don't have one, after all we have beacons and compasses, my beacons and lost signals are good enough for me to help to not get lost
  • Q_bertQ_bert inactivelavart Join Date: 2018-05-08 Member: 240607Members
    I’ve resorted to deploying scanner rooms everywhere and giving them 4 range upgrades. But a map would honestly be the best thing ever, I absolutely love to map in video games and I wish they would add one to this beautiful work of art we call Subnautica.
  • NostasNostas Join Date: 2018-07-13 Member: 242150Members
    i really like that subnautica dont have a map, so you need to use the compass and stuff^^
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2018
    Q_bert wrote: »
    I’ve resorted to deploying scanner rooms everywhere and giving them 4 range upgrades. But a map would honestly be the best thing ever, I absolutely love to map in video games and I wish they would add one to this beautiful work of art we call Subnautica.

TBH, I'd love to see a map room in the Cyclops, tied into the scanner rooms. Basically you get to see the scanner room's hologram and your current location in it. This way the scanner rooms also get more utility instead of, if you're like me, constantly moving them around!

And maybe add a module for the Cyclops to also pilot the camera drones, using the scanner room range and extending that range a bit around the Cyclops. So if you're on the edge with your Cyclops they aren't completely useless

You know that "synergy" UWE always kept talking about for NS2 marine classes and Kharaa lifeforms. In this case with vehicles and rooms...

Someone suggested adding another room to the Cyclops above the docking back, seems like it would house a scanner room hologram... And this way it's not a simple map, but an actual physical room you can use, tied to environmental requirements. Which would be more interesting then just having a map on your PDA or something :tongue:
  • Q_bertQ_bert inactivelavart Join Date: 2018-05-08 Member: 240607Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Someone suggested adding another room to the Cyclops above the docking back, seems like it would house a scanner room hologram... And this way it's not a simple map, but an actual physical room you can use, tied to environmental requirements. Which would be more interesting then just having a map on your PDA or something :tongue:

Or, it could be in the room with the ladder to the bridge, and the storage room could be moved into the lower aft compartment to actually give it a use.
  • SilkSpiderSilkSpider Join Date: 2016-10-22 Member: 223305Members
    Q_bert wrote: »

I have a gift for getting lost in caves *coughlostrivercough*. Beacons sorta fail to be useful in that situation.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    There's a mod you can add if you want.

• PocketNerdPocketNerd Dragon Falls Join Date: 2018-07-24 Member: 242442Members
    A map would be convenient, but it might have the unwanted side effect of making the game feel small. The devs were very clever about making the gameplay area feel vast despite its actual dimensions, and a map feature would ruin the magic by reminding you almost everything is within a few hundred meters of everything else.