[Bug] Air Bladder not functioning properly [unknown version exactly, May or June 2018]

GlitchTMGGlitchTMG Join Date: 2018-05-30 Member: 241002Members
This is not a bug that I am having, but a bug that a friend is having and he's not used to forums, so I am reporting on his behalf. When I play Subnautica and use the Air Bladder device (with its updates and changes since the Full Release), it brings me to the surface at a very rapid speed, faster than you could surface with the Seaglide (which I think is awesome--I was one of the few people who found the Air Bladder useful even before it became as fast an ascent mechanism that it is now; now it's even better).

When my friend deploys the Air Badder tool in his game on his computer, it almost completely fails to work--it raises his character up, but at so slow a pace, it's actually slower than swimming by hand. At first, I thought this was an issue related to the possibility that his save file might have been started before the Full Release of the game (I was not sure if it had or had not at the time, but signs point to his game being a post-Full Release save file), but starting a new file on his computer from scratch (in the version of the game as of May or June 2018) yielded the same result; Air Bladder is extremely slow, so badly that it has no use at all because it's slower than normal swimming speed.

I have no idea what could possibly be responsible for this bug. All I know is that my computer (where it works fine) has a Windows7 OS, and my friend's computer is a Windows10. Other than that, I don't know much else specifically about his machine (though I could investigate and bring additional data here later if I knew what to look at that might be relevant) or how to reproduce the bug on my own version of Subnautica, all I know is that the bug is persistent in his installation, across any game he starts or save file he has.

Comments

• GlitchTMGGlitchTMG Join Date: 2018-05-30 Member: 241002Members
    So....can anyone help me with this?
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Here's a checklist to have your friend try:
    1. Have your friend go to the steam library, right click on the game, and go to properties. Then, open the "Local Files" tab and select "Verify Integrity of Game Files." After the process is done, have your friend test to see if it's fixed.
    2. If it's not fixed, attempt a soft re-install. This is where you simply use the steam ui to uninstall and re-install the game. Test afterward to see if it's fixed.
    3. If that didn't work, attempt a hard re-install. This involves uninstalling the game via steam, then going to the game files and deleting everything there, as some files are left. Try again after that.

If none of these work, it may somehow be a bug with his PC while running the game. If you can, ask him for his crash log (I believe that's what people usually look at.)
    Ah, alrighty! It might take me a week or two to be able to get my friend to test this, but I will report back here once I have. Thank you! :)
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Has your friend been having the air bladder do the work, or are they using the ascend button/swimming upward?
    edited July 2018
    @narfblat Oh, sorry, didn't see your reply. But yes, I actually tried both myself, on his comp, using the air bladder in his game. Even in my game, without using ascend/swim-up, the Air Bladder still elevates me at a very rapid pace, using ascend or swimming up can help it be a little faster. In my friend's game, when I tried it, while activating the Air Bladder did create a very slow upward rise, it -also- actually -hindered- all movement...but not the way the Air Bladder is supposed to.

Normally, when activating the Air Bladder, you cannot swim down, and your ability to swim to the sides is limited, but swimming up with the direction of the Air Bladder adds to your velocity. In my friend's game, activating his Air Bladder made -all- motion much slower than normal swimming--including trying to swim -up-, while the Air Bladder was activated, and yet it WAS still possible to swim down (when it shouldn't be at all), slightly slower than the very-slow rate in any other direction (due to the very small upward force), up or to the sides. Basically, rather than "create strong upward force on character" like the A.B. is supposed to, in my friend's game it instead created only a very tiny upward force, -and- created a surmountable but noticeable resistance to any movement in -any- direction, like suddenly swimming through molasses. Damndest thing I've seen in Subnautica yet (and I once glitched out a Crabsnake by accident and caused it to start chaotically teleporting everywhere. :B )

Have not been able to test the possible fixes on my friend's comp yet, though. Might be another week or two, some conflicting schedules have come up.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    For the uninstall/reinstall, I suggest restarting the pc first. This allows a cleaner uninstall.

Test the timing on other actions, like fabricating a titanium ingot.

Try fiddling with settings, like vsync, and also disable background programs, like MSI Afterburner.
  • GlassiusGlassius Poland Join Date: 2018-12-21 Member: 246615Members
    Hi guys, my first post here. I am facing the same problem.

Measured time from 50 m depth to the surface.
    1. Bare handed faster than holding air bladder and swimming upwards with SPACE.
    2. Not moving and letting air bladder to work much longer than anything.

I've just started playing and in my computer air bladder has never worked properly. I checked both with fresh installation with Epic Games launcher and Steam version. It seems, it depends on computer, but I have no idea what.

My Configuration
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
    RAM 8081 MB
    graphic NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
    graphic RAM 4055 MB
    system WIndows 10 (10.0.0) 64bit
    8 threads logic processors
    version 61056
    compilation data 9/29/2018 4:27:46 PM
  • SSK123SSK123 Join Date: 2018-12-24 Member: 246951Members
    I have the same problem
  • jamescoolcrafter15jamescoolcrafter15 Canada Join Date: 2018-11-10 Member: 244612Members
    Same thing happens to me.
  • GlassiusGlassius Poland Join Date: 2018-12-21 Member: 246615Members
    Is anything going to happen with this poor air bladder?
  • PewkiiPewkii Join Date: 2019-02-02 Member: 250202Members
    I have been having this issue as well, although I installed Subnautica via Epic Games instead of Steam. I verifies the game files, and it did not fix the issue. I then reinstalled the game and it was still unfixed