Some ideas

NS-SoldierNS-Soldier Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179856Members
edited July 2018 in Ideas and Suggestions
i've been playing this and NS 1 for quite some time, first i want to thank the community for continue to be playing and the developers continue to put out updates
however in the recent games i've been playing, some of the features came to my mind

New hive adds more health -
Fades/Lerks are already strong against minium upgrade marines, but once jetpacks shotguns armor 2 weapon 2 are up. These lifeforms can be taken down from 1 to 2 shots. To counter this, make each new hive adds more health to the lifeforms.

Grenade launchers / Flamers -
cause too much damage to life forms, they should be making more damages to structures rather than fades/lerks who can die from 1 or 2 grenades.

The requesting weld notification -
back in NS 1 you'd able to point at your team and it would show "weld #####" on their screen. I don't see this in NS 2 at all.

Resource node under attack notification -
I believe this is only heard on alien side only!? on marine side, not much is heard. Quite often, an ip/obs/armslab go down without anything being voiced.

Leap as default ability -
marine has the ability to jump backwards 5 feet to avoid being bitten, to counter this, skulks need to have leap as default ability. To balance this, make leap uses 60% of energy that leaves only 2 bites.

Tram -
Both version of Tram needs some serious changes. I've seen/been in many games where marines just hold mezz and aliens can't do nothing other than holding warehouse for the entire game.

That's all i can think of, I hope this game has welcoming changes for both new and old players.

Comments

• .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    edited July 2018
    Te vagy az, Szoldzser? :P
    NS-Soldier wrote: »
    Fades/Lerks are already strong against minium upgrade marines, but once jetpacks shotguns armor 2 weapon 2 are up. These lifeforms can be taken down from 1 to 2 shots. To counter this, make each new hive adds more health to the lifeforms.

Wait, isnt this in NS2 already? Or was it some custom server's balance mod where i've seen it?

Grenade launchers / Flamers -
    cause too much damage to life forms, they should be making more damages to structures rather than fades/lerks who can die from 1 or 2 grenades.

Agreed.
    The problem is that the devs are trying to make the game rookie friendly (sic), and they (rookies) dont understand the strategic concept behind support weapons.

The requesting weld notification -
    back in NS 1 you'd able to point at your team and it would show "weld #####" on their screen. I don't see this in NS 2 at all.

That would be welcome. Too many times do i hear shouting on the voice com by someone who needs welding.
    Btw, you have to bring up the menu by holding X, then you can select the Weld Me option. It's not as good as in NS1... also, I haven't managed to bind it to a key like request ammo/med/order.

Resource node under attack notification -
    I believe this is only heard on alien side only!? on marine side, not much is heard. Quite often, an ip/obs/armslab go down without anything being voiced.

Nah, neither side (field players) gets voice alerts about structures under attack.
    The comms have to pay attention and relay the info to the team. It's actually better this way, since field players are not overwhelmed by sounds, and the com can prioritize.

marine has the ability to jump backwards 5 feet to avoid being bitten, to counter this, skulks need to have leap as default ability. To balance this, make leap uses 60% of energy that leaves only 2 bites.

That would make the aliens unreasonably powerful early-game, even with the increased energy consumption.
  • KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer

Each biomass is giving lifeforms a bit more health. I think he means an extra eHP bonus per lifeform for each hive in addition to the biomass eHP bonus.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    .trixX. wrote: »
    Te vagy az, Szoldzser? :P

Wait, isnt this in NS2 already? Or was it some custom server's balance mod where i've seen it?

Technically a new hive gives you 1 biomass and each biomass level increases the health of any lifeform by a set amount dependent on said lifeform. It's negligible at first but can make a considerable difference by the late game.

Alternatively I think it would be interesting if the alien commander unlocked higher tiers of lifeforms instead of them unlocking individual lifeform abilities, with said higher tiers having increased stats and their mid to late game abilities.
  • G_LockG_Lock Playtester_ FL Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184624Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

That would make the aliens unreasonably powerful early-game, even with the increased energy consumption.

I believe your thinking about this the wrong way. Giving aliens only 2 bites would be terrible unless pack play was always done properly (which usually doesn't happen, especially on pub servers). Many skulks would run around by themselves engaging with leap first with only 2 bites left, marines do not die in 2 bites, giving them 2 seconds of a skulk at their feet able to do nothing because they ran out of energy, unless parasite was used often by they alien team. Average skulk play is abysmal and this sounds like a horrible noob trap more then an early game advantage increase.

I've always said aliens should be able to research leap with 1 hive instead of needing 2 hives for the unlock, even at the current energy use it still wouldn't be overpowered because in most cases weapons 1 / armor 1 will have been researched by that time. Having leap come out mid game around the 6 to 8 min mark when weapons 2 / armor 2 are likely to have dropped always seemed kinda useless, it doesn't move you as far / fast as you would think and still takes a hefty toll on your energy. It always felt to me like a tool that should be available earlier in game.

One thing i do agree on is not having skulks start with it by default, as having it out before weapons 1 / armor 1 would make skulks considerably harder to deal with. Putting it behind the research unlock negates this.

• .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    G_Lock wrote: »

I believe your thinking about this the wrong way. Giving aliens only 2 bites would be terrible unless pack play was always done properly (which usually doesn't happen, especially on pub servers). Many skulks would run around by themselves engaging with leap first with only 2 bites left, marines do not die in 2 bites, giving them 2 seconds of a skulk at their feet able to do nothing because they ran out of energy, unless parasite was used often by they alien team. Average skulk play is abysmal and this sounds like a horrible noob trap more then an early game advantage increase.

I've always said aliens should be able to research leap with 1 hive instead of needing 2 hives for the unlock, even at the current energy use it still wouldn't be overpowered because in most cases weapons 1 / armor 1 will have been researched by that time. Having leap come out mid game around the 6 to 8 min mark when weapons 2 / armor 2 are likely to have dropped always seemed kinda useless, it doesn't move you as far / fast as you would think and still takes a hefty toll on your energy. It always felt to me like a tool that should be available earlier in game.

One thing i do agree on is not having skulks start with it by default, as having it out before weapons 1 / armor 1 would make skulks considerably harder to deal with. Putting it behind the research unlock negates this.

But you're only factoring in one skulk. And also assuming that people would be stupid enough to leap on a marine and die because they have no energy left to bite.

Having leap before 6 minutes into game leaves marines bare-assed against a pack of skulks leaping, landing only 1 bite, then evading. When you repeat that with 3-4 skulks it's rather efficient.