Most Frightening Moment

APOModernAPOModern United States Join Date: 2018-06-23 Member: 241636Members
What moment, even if it wasn't really all that bad, was the most frightening or scary for you playing?

Comments

• SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited July 2018
    The moment when I was walking through the corridor that links the Lost River and ILZ, on my way to get some Kyanite, and having to dodge the 10 Warpers that are in there for some reason.

Everything went perfectly well, I got my Kyanite, and began the journey back home. But on the way back, every single Warper decided that it wanted a piece of me. Nearly every single one teleported me out of the PRAWN, sliced me, and chased me down. I'd never seen them so hostile, but almost every encounter was a near death experience for the PRAWN or myself.

The last Warper was the most challenging, as I was running dangerously low on water, and moved with the speed and grace of a crippled snail. It repeatedly teleported me back to its claws. I was honestly not sure what would kill me first, the Warper, dehydration, or running out of air.

After nearly a straight minute of barely taking med-kits in time before the Warper's slash knocked me back down to almost dead, I was out of water, and started taking damage from that as well. I took my last two med-kits and prayed that I would be able to survive. Then, by some miracle, I was able to dodge one of the Warper teleportation balls, get to my PRAWN, escape the Warper, jump into the relative safety of the Lost River, and scarf down on the only thing I had the speed to catch, Jelly Plants.

I barely survived with 10 health, about 30 health on my PRAWN, and just enough water to make it back to my base in the Cove Tree area.

And keep in mind, this was all in Hardcore. I'd already been killed by a Warper in my last Hardcore attempt, deleting 40 hours of gameplay, and I'd spent even more time on this file. I'd been dreading this exact trip for Kyanite for the entire game, and then the worst happened.

I was physically and emotionally drained for the rest of the day. No game, and I mean no game, has ever come close to giving the amount of fear that I felt that session.
  • Q_bertQ_bert inactivelavart Join Date: 2018-05-08 Member: 240607Members
    Umm... Warpers deal hardly any damage. And you can just slap them with a knife once and they’ll leave you alone for about 10 minutes. They’re more of a nuisance, teleporting you out of your vehicles.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I'm not trapped in this ocean crater with these creatures, they are trapped in here with me!
  • DinkySlayerDinkySlayer Italy Join Date: 2018-06-30 Member: 241827Members
    Umh...I think the most frightening moment until now is when I entered the Aurora, I was scared to find the Reaper Leviathan. I will let you know if I find a scarier moment, after all I'm only at the beginning!
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited July 2018
    Q_bert wrote: »
    Umm... Warpers deal hardly any damage. And you can just slap them with a knife once and they’ll leave you alone for about 10 minutes. They’re more of a nuisance, teleporting you out of your vehicles.

Not when there are multiple at once slashing a fourth of your health off, in 50 degree water, 1000+ meters down.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Ya need to use more dodge and zigzag patterns @Skope :tongue:
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Ya need to use more dodge and zigzag patterns @Skope :tongue:

@Kouji_San Try zigzagging in scalding water when you're dehydrated as a guy who chugged an entire bag of pretzels. :p
    edited July 2018
    Pfft, just put on this song and ZIG AND ZAG :D
  • VHDVHD United States Join Date: 2018-07-03 Member: 241885Members
    For me, it was when I brought my Cyclops all the way down through the Lost River to the entrance of the lava zone (before I had many upgrades for depth or the prawn suit). Went out exploring and then came back to find my Cyclops completely drained of energy! I'd left it with at least 3 fully charged power cells and thought it must be a bug/glitch at first. I had no idea lava leeches existed...

No life support on the Cyclops and no good way to backtrack (I didn't have the jump or arm upgrade for the Prawn Suit) - plus I was running low on energy for my Prawn Suit! I fortunately had enough supplies on the Cyclops to improvise a small one-room base with thermal power and a power cell charger - but for a few minutes I was in panic mode. It was truly claustrophobic knowing I couldn't make it back to the surface and my only source of air was in the confines of the Prawn Suit. Every swim up to the Cyclops (for food and resources to build the base) had to be fast because by the time I got back down to my Cyclops, the leeches were starting to suck it dry as well.

Subnautica has been a truly a great gaming experience for me - up there with Super Metroid and Dark Souls.
  • FlametuskFlametusk Sparse Reef Join Date: 2018-01-24 Member: 235582Members
    For myself, it was when I was just building my base in the Underwater Islands just next to the Mushroom Forest, only to hear the screech of the Blood Kelp's Ghost Leviathan right next to me. And then, after it swimming around the Underwater Islands, having it just disappear on me. I was scared to leave my base because I had no clue where it was. Turns out it wanted to explore the Grassy Plateaus.
  • Q_bertQ_bert inactivelavart Join Date: 2018-05-08 Member: 240607Members
    @Skope then again I got the reinforced dive suit before I even looked for a lost river entrance, so it’s probably just me.
  • AlecBeachAlecBeach Join Date: 2018-06-09 Member: 241267Members
    Okay.
    So I was travelling to the crater not remembering the whole "reaper leviathan" issue in that area. This was before having the Stasis rifle.
    I go into the area with the cuddlefish egg and all I can hear is very angry roars from the Reaper.
    No creature scares me as mush as they do.
    Ghost and Dragon do nothing to me compared to the Reaper.
    So all I can hear and see out of the opening of the cave is the screams of this beast. Each time I got close to the Entrance of the cave it screamed at me. took me 10 minutes to grow the balls to try and escape.
    Armed with my SeaGlide. I burst out without looking back.
    When I thought I was in the clear, I turned around.
    And that big screaming Arse was right there.
    I peed a little and got bit by the damn thing and BOOKED it the opposite direction.
    After running for about 1000 meters. I was safe.
    I hate those damn things....

• GabrielBCGabrielBC anh? Join Date: 2016-04-30 Member: 216170Members
    A little late, but the most frightening moment I've ever experienced with the game was in this hardcore playthrough, which made this kind of worse...
    I didn't know how to advance into the storyline yet, so I just got in my cyclops and headed straight into the koosh biome not knowing what I would find (if I would). After a little driving I found myself in the middle of this dark nowhere, and hearing faint things about the void at the time that's what I assumed it was. Then I hear these horrible noises and a little red dot in the sonar while this gigantic Ghost Leviathan rips chunks off my sub. Panicking, I toggle full speed on and rise up to the top thinking it would go away, and when I was half out of the water this gigantic being comes up and hops up too while doing these horrible noises, all while I'm panicking like crazy and trying to find a way to get that thing off of me. Noticing the large amounts of damage I try to repair the submarine from the inside while the thing was attacking me to see if I could repair faster than the could could damage to buy me some time to escape. Turns out I can't, and there is a giant fire in the bottom part of the cyclops. While trying to extinguish the fire, the cyclops says something like: "Hull failure imminent..."
    and started to count down. I desperately climbed up the stairs, ran and got in to my seamoth right when the thing started to make noise. I got deployed into the water and BOOM. Without even looking behind, I hear all the work put into that, all the plasteel bars just get absolutely destroyed behind me. And I got kicked out of the seamoth (I don't know if it was because I got too close to the explosion or if I just pressed the key accidentally). I will never forget that moment.
  • Funsauce32Funsauce32 Canada Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218339Members
    i was entering the lava zone through the lost river, i sent out a decoy to distract the ghost leviathan and began my descent. this was my first time entering the lava zone and i was scared. The ghost leviathan smashed the back end of my cyclops as i was going down and i lost balance, smashing into the walls repeatedly. i was afraid to lose my cyclops so i kept diving down the hole until the leviathan was gone. there was multiple fires in the engine room and a few holes that needed repairing. there were 5 or so leeches on the outside and the hull was deteriorating. lucky for me i had installed a fire supression system which gave me much more time to repair holes. After a few minutes i fixed everything and paused the game for a breather.
  • PocketNerdPocketNerd Dragon Falls Join Date: 2018-07-24 Member: 242442Members
    Scariest moment for me was this radio message:
    ▀▖┗▛Subject 11783 destroyed. Mode ▄▖▜▚┣: patrol.
    New targets unaccounted for: 1.
    I already knew there were dangers on this planet... but now I felt like there was an intelligence hunting me, specifically. Creepy as heck.
  • TheWaffleLeviathanTheWaffleLeviathan Somewhere in the oceans of planet 4546B Join Date: 2016-04-15 Member: 215785Members
    Flametusk wrote: »
    For myself, it was when I was just building my base in the Underwater Islands just next to the Mushroom Forest, only to hear the screech of the Blood Kelp's Ghost Leviathan right next to me. And then, after it swimming around the Underwater Islands, having it just disappear on me. I was scared to leave my base because I had no clue where it was. Turns out it wanted to explore the Grassy Plateaus.

I had a very similar experience in my hardcore file. I had built my base in the underwater islands and the ghost leviathan in the nearby blood kelp decided to follow me while I was going back to my base from a lost river expedition. I named it Caspar and it hasn't left. It loves to clip in and out of walls so I never know where it is. Very fun.