Save error message

razzedrazzed Canberra Join Date: 2016-07-08 Member: 219839Members
Hey,

so I had this error message pop up on me when trying to save:

https://imgur.com/a/QBl1mOz

I've tried two different save files and the same message is appearing.

I haven't played in a while, are my old files now no good with a new patch maybe?

cheers

Comments

• narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Try moving any files that may be in that tempsave folder to a new, temporary location. If it works, delete the old files. Next, try moving the tempsave folder itself. Either should hopefully make the game create a new, working folder. If not, it may be that the folder is read only, or you may have to change permissions on the folder.
  • razzedrazzed Canberra Join Date: 2016-07-08 Member: 219839Members
    Hey, thanks for the reply.

I can path to C:\ProgramData\Unknown Worlds\Subnautica but that last folder is empty, with "show hidden files and folders" switched on. The "Subnautica" folder is read only. I've switched this off to read/write, but the saving is still bugged.

If I go into a new game and save, a temp folder appears and is populated with the main folder as read only, or as read write.

From there, I deleted the original tmp087359 folder. Without manually creating a new tmp folder, the original error message appears.

When I create that folder with the same name and attempt to save on the faulty game file, The error is now:
    Save data saving failed ( Access to the path "C/ProgramData/UnknownWorlds/Subnautica\TempSave\tmp087359\CellsCache\baked
    the tmp folder is now populated with what appears to look similar to the healthy game file save.

With the folder permissions staying as is allowing the healthy file to save, should I still try and edit the permissions?

Cheers
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    edited July 2018
    An alternate fix to try - start a new game, save, then delete the contents. Replace with contents of a broken save.

Also, see what the Subnautica logs/error logs might have, since the error message we see is cut off.