Sequel idea?

Cire555Cire555 bend Join Date: 2018-01-02 Member: 234752Members
I was just thinking about plot lines to create a sequel, and came up with a few ideas. Now I have no idea if the developers have there own ideas, or if they even ever plan on a sequel but I really hope they do. The rough ideas I have are as follows: 1) Altera wants their phasegate back so they can recover their losses and put maneuver the Mongolian so they issue a salvage operation, 2) they hear about the warpers and precursor tech and decide to salvage samples of it for reverse engineering, especially after seeing the ion batteries developed by the player in the first game, or my favorite 3) Durring the time you’ve been gone Altera has encountered the kharaa and it’s making its way through trans-governmental space messing shit up making monsters ect. They find out your immune and decide to send you back to planet 4546B to search for the emporer juveniles to get more of enzyme 42 but they send only you because you’re already immune and they don’t want to risk other people on a planet still infected with the kharaa (this would take place only a few months later so the bacteria wouldn’t have been eradicated yet) so you return to planet 4546B with the full backing of the Altera corporation in exchange for forgiving your debts (they’d have made you a corporate slave otherwise) so you land in the familiar safe shallows with the reckage of the Aurora nearby now settled and already becoming part of the ecosystem, and search around only to find that your scanners can’t pick up any traces of the sea emperor juveniles which given their rapid growth rate (as seen In the first game) have already reached adulthood and expands beyond the range of the crater, meaning you have to go explore the dead zone, which would be full of colossal leviathans that prey in the ghost leviathans (the data entry only said bacteria and leviathans live out there and that ghost leviathans eat the bacteria it never said they were the top of the food chain) and you could discover other isolated biomes areas like the volcanic crater around the planet and explore them looking for clues as to where the emperors went, maybe even stumbling upon the arctic biome and meeting up with the other survivor, you could also discover some more precourser bases located in the other isolated biomes where they were studying other leviathans because of their failure with the sea emporer, like maybe a leviathan restoration facility where they cloned ancient leviathan species looking for a different source of compound 42, or a leviathan manufacturing facility where they tried to make their own to create enzyme 42 (that would be a good place to reintroduce the transfuser as precursor Tech) and each of these facilities would give you hope as to finding an alternate source of enzyme 42 in case you can’t find the new sea emporers, and maybe the precursors after their tech picked up that the Kharaa present in the planet’s environment is decreasing might have a facility that is remaking their bodies and reintegrating their data bringing them back from their stasis. They could then try to figure out what happened and hunt you down in an attempt to find out how you got the eggs to hatch and reveal that a colossal warper (a warper leviathan so to speak) has been present in the dead zone scanning for sea emporer specimens to transport to a different facility to further research enzyme 42 after they thought their initial specimen had been destroyed and that the Kharaa had whiped the rest out explaining why you couldn’t find them, the end game would be you either helping the precursors at the expense of the leviathans which would spread enzyme 42 to the rest of the galaxy reviving their empire but dooming you to be a debt slave to Altera or you could free the specimens pissing off the precursors but retaining the enzyme as the proprietary technology of Altera and earn your own freedom at the cost of intergalactic war.

But that’s just an idea, let me know what you guys think.

Also possible 4546B designations: Triton, Ezili, or, Lotan though personally I like Triton I feel like it just kinda fits.

Comments

• jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited June 2018
    While the idea is nice, it sounds like this would conflict with the already set timeline. Since Subnautica already has a sequel, infact, there are two sequels. Natural Selection 1 & 2 (and I guess one can say the Subnautica Expansion Pass as well). Anyways, the Natural Selection games take place sometime after Subnautica with humans fighting Kharaa. Due to the fact we never hear about the Precursors in those games and that Kharaa is still around, it would break the current story to cure Kharaa before it got a chance to evolve to the Kharaa in Natural Selection.
  • Cire555Cire555 bend Join Date: 2018-01-02 Member: 234752Members
    edited June 2018
    While the idea is nice, it sounds like this would conflict with the already set timeline. Since Subnautica already has a sequel, infact, there are two sequels. Natural Selection 1 & 2 (and I guess one can say the Subnautica Expansion Pass as well). Anyways, the Natural Selection games take place sometime after Subnautica with humans fighting Kharaa. Due to the fact we never hear about the Precursors in those games and that Kharaa is still around, it would break the current story to cure Kharaa before it got a chance to evolve to the Kharaa in Natural Selection.
    I haven’t played those games but it would be an easy fix, he could just choose to release the sea emperors and claim that the species went extinct and he couldn’t find a cure, and the precursors wouldn’t have to wake up, or they could and choose to safeguard the emporer species after finding out they’re sentient or something, or Altera could keep the existence of the precursors secret for some reason, or they might have gone extinct so Altera didn’t see them as important, or the character from subnautica might have just not told them about the precoursers and only about the sea emporer cure, I don’t know, it would depend on the lore in natural selection I’m not sure how they came across the Kharaa alien species

• Q_bertQ_bert inactivelavart Join Date: 2018-05-08 Member: 240607Members
    Please, use periods.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2018
    Q_bert wrote: »
    Please, use periods.

Fixed some typos and the punctuation while reading:
    Cire555 wrote: »
    I was just thinking about plot lines to create a sequel, and came up with a few ideas. Now I have no idea if the developers have there own ideas, or if they even ever plan on a sequel but I really hope they do. The rough ideas I have are as follows:
    1. Altera wants their phasegate back so they can recover their losses and put maneuver the Mongolian so they issue a salvage operation
    2. They hear about the warpers and precursor tech and decide to salvage samples of it for reverse engineering, especially after seeing the ion batteries developed by the player in the first game, or my favorite
    3. During the time you’ve been gone Alterra has encountered the Kharaa and it’s making its way through trans-governmental space, messing shit up making monsters ect... They find out you're immune and decide to send you back to planet 4546B to search for the emperor juveniles to get more of enzyme 42. However they send only you because you’re already immune and they don’t want to risk other people on a planet that's still infected with the Kharaa (this would take place only a few months later so the bacteria wouldn’t have been eradicated yet)

So you return to planet 4546B with the full backing of the Alterra corporation in exchange for forgiving your debts (they’d have made you a corporate slave otherwise). So you land in the familiar safe shallows with the wreckage of the Aurora nearby, now settled and already becoming part of the ecosystem. You search around only to find that your scanners can’t pick up any traces of the sea emperor juveniles which given their rapid growth rate (as seen In the first game) have already reached adulthood and expands beyond the range of the crater. Meaning you have to go explore the dead zone, which would be full of colossal leviathans which prey on the ghost leviathans (the data entry only said bacteria and leviathans live out there and that ghost leviathans eat the bacteria it never said they were the top of the food chain).

You could discover other isolated biomes, areas like the volcanic crater around the planet and explore them looking for clues as to where the emperors went. Maybe even stumbling upon the arctic biome and meeting up with the other survivors. You could also discover some more Precursor bases located in the other isolated biomes where they were studying other leviathans because of their failure with the sea emperor. Like maybe a leviathan restoration facility where they cloned ancient leviathan species looking for a different source of compound 42. Or a leviathan manufacturing facility where they tried to make their own to create enzyme 42 (that would be a good place to reintroduce the transfuser as precursor Tech)

Each of these facilities would give you hope as to finding an alternate source of enzyme 42 in case you can’t find the new sea emperors, and maybe the precursors after their tech picked up that the Kharaa present in the planet’s environment is decreasing might have a facility that is remaking their bodies and reintegrating their data bringing them back from their stasis.
    They could then try to figure out what happened and hunt you down in an attempt to find out how you got the eggs to hatch and reveal that a colossal warper (a warper leviathan so to speak) has been present in the dead zone scanning for sea emperor specimens to transport to a different facility to further research enzyme 42. After they thought their initial specimen had been destroyed and the Kharaa had wiped the rest out, explaining why you couldn’t find them. The end game would be you either helping the precursors at the expense of the leviathans which would spread enzyme 42 to the rest of the galaxy reviving their empire, but dooming you to be a debt slave to Alterra. Or you could free the specimens pissing off the precursors but retaining the enzyme as the proprietary technology of Alterra and earn your own freedom at the cost of intergalactic war.

Also possible 4546B designations: Triton, Ezili, or, Lotan though personally I like Triton I feel like it just kinda fits.

TBH, I kinda like the idea as it could be a neat way to tie the vanilla game and the upcoming Arctic DLC together. Not so sure how the events of NS and NS2 would fit into this though

• Cire555Cire555 bend Join Date: 2018-01-02 Member: 234752Members
    edited June 2018
    While the idea is nice, it sounds like this would conflict with the already set timeline. Since Subnautica already has a sequel, infact, there are two sequels. Natural Selection 1 & 2 (and I guess one can say the Subnautica Expansion Pass as well). Anyways, the Natural Selection games take place sometime after Subnautica with humans fighting Kharaa. Due to the fact we never hear about the Precursors in those games and that Kharaa is still around, it would break the current story to cure Kharaa before it got a chance to evolve to the Kharaa in Natural Sel
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Q_bert wrote: »
    Please, use periods.

Fixed some typos and the punctuation while reading:
    I was just thinking about plot lines to create a sequel, and came up with a few ideas. Now I have no idea if the developers have there own ideas, or if they even ever plan on a sequel but I really hope they do. The rough ideas I have are as follows:
    1. Altera wants their phasegate back so they can recover their losses and put maneuver the Mongolian so they issue a salvage operation
    2. They hear about the warpers and precursor tech and decide to salvage samples of it for reverse engineering, especially after seeing the ion batteries developed by the player in the first game, or my favorite
    3. During the time you’ve been gone Alterra has encountered the Kharaa and it’s making its way through trans-governmental space, messing shit up making monsters ect... They find out you're immune and decide to send you back to planet 4546B to search for the emperor juveniles to get more of enzyme 42. However they send only you because you’re already immune and they don’t want to risk other people on a planet that's still infected with the Kharaa (this would take place only a few months later so the bacteria wouldn’t have been eradicated yet)

So you return to planet 4546B with the full backing of the Alterra corporation in exchange for forgiving your debts (they’d have made you a corporate slave otherwise). So you land in the familiar safe shallows with the wreckage of the Aurora nearby, now settled and already becoming part of the ecosystem. You search around only to find that your scanners can’t pick up any traces of the sea emperor juveniles which given their rapid growth rate (as seen In the first game) have already reached adulthood and expands beyond the range of the crater. Meaning you have to go explore the dead zone, which would be full of colossal leviathans which prey on the ghost leviathans (the data entry only said bacteria and leviathans live out there and that ghost leviathans eat the bacteria it never said they were the top of the food chain).

You could discover other isolated biomes, areas like the volcanic crater around the planet and explore them looking for clues as to where the emperors went. Maybe even stumbling upon the arctic biome and meeting up with the other survivors. You could also discover some more Precursor bases located in the other isolated biomes where they were studying other leviathans because of their failure with the sea emperor. Like maybe a leviathan restoration facility where they cloned ancient leviathan species looking for a different source of compound 42. Or a leviathan manufacturing facility where they tried to make their own to create enzyme 42 (that would be a good place to reintroduce the transfuser as precursor Tech)

Each of these facilities would give you hope as to finding an alternate source of enzyme 42 in case you can’t find the new sea emperors, and maybe the precursors after their tech picked up that the Kharaa present in the planet’s environment is decreasing might have a facility that is remaking their bodies and reintegrating their data bringing them back from their stasis.
    They could then try to figure out what happened and hunt you down in an attempt to find out how you got the eggs to hatch and reveal that a colossal warper (a warper leviathan so to speak) has been present in the dead zone scanning for sea emperor specimens to transport to a different facility to further research enzyme 42. After they thought their initial specimen had been destroyed and the Kharaa had wiped the rest out, explaining why you couldn’t find them. The end game would be you either helping the precursors at the expense of the leviathans which would spread enzyme 42 to the rest of the galaxy reviving their empire, but dooming you to be a debt slave to Alterra. Or you could free the specimens pissing off the precursors but retaining the enzyme as the proprietary technology of Alterra and earn your own freedom at the cost of intergalactic war.

TBH, I kinda like the idea as it could be a neat way to tie the vanilla game and the upcoming Arctic DLC together. Not so sure how the events of NS and NS2 would fit into this though

Thanks that’s what I was going for, and thanks for fixing the punctuation! I had that idea at like 1 in the morning my time, and typed it all out on my phone.
  • bluesy22bluesy22 Join Date: 2018-07-27 Member: 242487Members
    ... They could then try to figure out what happened and hunt you down in an attempt to find out how you got the eggs to hatch and reveal that a colossal warper (a warper leviathan so to speak) has been present in the dead zone scanning for sea emporer specimens to transport to a different facility to further research enzyme 42 after they thought their initial specimen had been destroyed and that the Kharaa had whiped the rest out explaining why you couldn’t find them, the end game would be you either helping the precursors at the expense of the leviathans which would spread enzyme 42 to the rest of the galaxy reviving their empire but dooming you to be a debt slave to Altera or you could free the specimens pissing off the precursors but retaining the enzyme as the proprietary technology of Altera and earn your own freedom at the cost of intergalactic war.

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

Also...what if the Precursors engineered the Kharaa bacterium as a means to uplift species to intelligence (think them dumping this on an early Earth to turn monkeys into people), and 4546B was one of their remote "lab planets" due to its remoteness and relatively trace amount of life (that we know of). But it all went horribly wrong.