SPARK : I don't get this...

XaleXale Paris / France Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24767Members
edited May 2018 in Mapping
So when creating a rectangle inside other vertices, I can't make it :

I know I can create a face by selecting edges with ALT+C , but this doesn't work also :/

Everytime I get this I had to remove some stuff, create new lines, remove somes, try again, and again till It works but I begin to be fed up a little... :/

I don't get this blender-thinked map editor

Too used to valve hammer...

Guess The good usage of SPARK it by using exlusively "Extrude" everytime I want to make a corridor, but I don't like this way... it's hard to follow a 2D layout that I draw before... :/

Comments

• XaleXale Paris / France Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24767Members
    (I can get the code to embed vid sorry :/ )
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    ALT+C only works if the selected lines are welded with each other. If for whatever reason they are not no face will appear
    Yeah I bet he doesn't like when having lines longer than they should be like this >

hq9frs13ldz6.jpg

In this case, how can I "cut" the lines in half ?

Oh and another thing :

When I extrude, I don't get a ceiling, something has changed I guess ?
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    being neat is key with ns2. If you dont weld vertices then you will encounter all sorts of frustrating issues.

ns2 altair beta is almost all made from geometry and if you double click on a piece of it the whole map will select because it is all welded together.

when using the selection tool you can select edges that are connected with vertices and then click edit and create face. You can also select multiple vertices and then go edit weld vertices. To create a brush you need all edges to be connected via a vertex. If they are not you will get issues like in your movie.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2018
    Ooh don't do that! Don't weld your entire map like that!
    You should build your map out of smaller, logical pieces. Take a look at docking to see a good example.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Ooh don't do that! Don't weld your entire map like that!
    You should build your map out of smaller, logical pieces. Take a look at docking to see a good example.

Pfft, LIEZ, I've had unearthed all welded together since the early days of TRASH! XD

if you're working on the grid and use the tools the way I do, its really helpful to have them all welded. I honestly don't think I could work with the editor if I weren't working with welded geo.
    edited May 2018
    As I see it, the correct way should be to start from a room then create others... But I find this messy... (EDIT : or use Extrude 1 room / 2 :D )

I'd rather make a big 2D flat surfaces, following a 256 or 512 grid with the layout of the map then extruding all... but yeah that theorycally creates collinear lines... That would theorically be removable by the "remove collinear lines". BUT it seems this tool only remove EXACT collinear lines (that have same size), and that's the problem. There should be a tool to divide the lines in two and create new Vertices (And also new vertices aswell then...)

So my question would be : how to do this manually ? :confused:

P.S : I should have know Extrude is shit in the end. 1rst Hammer rule for best optimisation = never use Hollow & Carve :smiley:

• deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited May 2018
    click the vertex tool on a line to split the line. Extrude is fine. Hollow and carve are shit hence why not in spark