Rename Extractor and Harvester to Recource Tower

The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
Every veteran says RT. Beginners have no idea what that abbreviation stands for. Also having different names for the same building on different teams makes no sense and makes it more difficult to learn.

Comments

• ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited May 2018
    i am an elitist according to some lovely people/persons i know (funny that you made this thread) even IRL i've been 'grilled' by someone that i love saying that i should let people call it what they want to call it(might be right...)
    I've only known it by resource tower/nozzle/node. Hearing it any other way makes me infuriated ESPECIALLY CALLING IT NATURAL OR NATURALS OMG I WANNA PUNCH YOU where i am almost calling people very derogatory names (directed at my monitor, not the actual person)
    it's funny that you should mention it though because i often do the same thing, forgetting it's a veil and not a sensory chamber
    sometimes i generally forget the NS2 variants and still call them by NS1 chambers names and i get people in voice chat/chat saying "what's a sensory chamber" they don't even call them chambers anymore which is weird and that is somewhat insulting, but it can't be helped.

Like i don't confuse Rifle with LMG, because the LMG was just so much better so... there's a clear distinction between the two.

I still say knifed instead of axed, sounds so much cooler to the ears saying "knifed lucas the cunt" instead of "axed lucas the ESPing cunt"

cc= command station, comm chair, chair
    ip = infantry portal
    pg = phasegate, pg,
    armslab = armslab
    armory = armoury or AA for advanced armory

• .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    edited May 2018
    - "STOP BUILDING TURRETS, WERE ON A0!"
    - "Wtf are you talking about, those are sentries, not turrets."

- "I think they are on sensory hive"
    - "Wtf is sensory?"

And there are a myriad of similar conversations i've had :D It's more entertaining to me than annoying though.

I'm trying to recall instances where players called them other than RTs... but im drawing blank. It may be due to the fact that players who communicate have a better understanding of the game in the first place... and saying RT is just so much faster than saying harvester/extractor.

It's a fair complaint, experienced players call them RT, which can lead to confused rookies. And making a distinction between the two structures is pointless...
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I still call the gun no one researches an hmg even though it was shortened to mg and currently looks like an lmg.

As far as RT and Upgrade Chambers go that can be excused for a general structure type classification, and it's often either ours or theirs in context so with a bit of education on the matter no one should confuse them.

Besides that, I typically avoid using ns1 terms since like you said it just confuses new players.

Some things do bother me though, like it's called a shift hive, but you upgrade it with spurs and the shift hive doesn't share any of the traits of a regular shift.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    When it comes to naming conventions and such, it's also nice to remember that on European servers you usually have the majority of people speaking English as their 2nd language at best. The cacophony of accents and mispronounced words can be confusing if the ingame naming conventions aren't phonetically clear and distinct.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited May 2018
    Somehow it is still easier for me as a german to understand a finnish guy whose english is insanely bad than a native american with a hard slang or accent (even though I've watched quite a ton of american series in english)
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Handschuh wrote: »
    Somehow it is still easier for me as a german to understand a finnish guy whose english is insanely bad than a native american with a hard slang or accent (even though I've watched quite a ton of american series in english)

Because in tv shows or movies they usually speak very clearly and slowly.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2018
    There's a lork on the clorf!!! Cornmaander, we need turrents and shirtguns!
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Don't forget the dog thing, bat thing, assassin, and big rhino. I don't know what rookies call the gorge.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    There's a lork on the clorf!!! Cornmaander, we need turrents and shirtguns!

I NID A CHATPACK, NAUW!
    Nordic wrote: »
    Don't forget the dog thing, bat thing, assassin, and big rhino. I don't know what rookies call the gorge.
    spacehog?

• AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Nordic wrote: »

Pig.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2018
    Well the unofficial official nicknames used to be

Skul, Piggy/George, Lork/Asshat, Fade/Dickbag, Space Cow

@.trixX. spacehog sounds cool, but it also reminds me of a possible Biker Mice from Mars bad guy :D
  • XaleXale Paris / France Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24767Members
    Coming from NS1 I Would tend to agree. Extractor/Harvester was very confusing at the beginning. Same for Craig/Shade/Shifter

I think it's a bit late for this update now

At least we are learning some new words :smiley: