Seaglide? Aside from a headlight, what good is it?

2»

Comments

• elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    Reapers are still terrifying, yeah. One thing about them lately is that you can hear them from really far away. Use that to keep your distance. In some areas of the map, there are Reapers everywhere, and except for a few specific things, I just don't go to those places. It's not worth the trouble.

Unless I'm hunting them, but that's only when I'm really, really bored, lol. (There's no real reason to do this, btw, you don't get anything for it.)

Oh, and you'll know the Void when the water starts turning dark blue, and then goes black. The Void is about the scariest thing in the game, IMO.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    zontwitch wrote: »
    Well the Cyclops is required to beat the game. Infact it is the only vehicle that must be crafted to beat the game. You can skip every other vehicle by using bases and other exploits speedrunners do.

The Cyclops gives you a mobile staging ground but if you know what you are doing and looking for then all that you need to finish the game is your Prawn. Tell me exactly why the Cyclops is necessary to beat the game; don't say batteries because you can carry spares.

You have to craft something that can only be crafted in the Cyclops in order to finish the game.
  • Goldengoose7Goldengoose7 California USA Join Date: 2018-04-26 Member: 240346Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »

I sacrificed my ship to get some good clear shots of the thing closeup. Up till this point I had never gotten a really good look at it. :)

• baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    Since I have no frame of reference being new to the game, I have no way of knowing what is normal and what might be bugged. I am toying with the idea of doing a re-install of the game for a few reasons. Primarily because my Steam Client refuses to update my vanilla version to 85.

As far as trying to escape the bad guys goes... I have had limited success so far. The SeaMoth I just picked up is definitely more effective at getting out of dodge in a hurry...

But even something like the SeaMoth is no match for this guy! Hands down one of the most frightening and believable in-game monsters I have ever seen in a video game!
    t6e94eibjgbk.jpg
    vparzt1tpkf8.jpg
    o4qbu7827l9a.jpg
    Crushed my SeaMoth like an egg a few seconds after that last image was taken. In fact, you can see two vertical cracks forming in the cockpit glass, which fractured a few seconds later.

WOW! That thing is nasty! And they appear to be all over the place in my game now! This encounter happened right off the tip of the big island near the Alien MegaStructure.

Keep your Seamoth (and yourself) at at least 81% health and it (and you) can survive a Reaper Leviathan attack. Retreat immediately and you stand a good chance of eluding a second attack. (This advice is your best bet until you discover a couple of things...)
    I recently started playing this game, and just crafted a Seaglide.

Wondering what the purpose of this thing is? It doesn't move me any faster than my guy can swim on his own, and it uses batteries to power it.

So... Just curious if I am missing something here, or if this vehicle is kind of the running joke in the game? (A waste of time and resources and better left off your inventory)

Based on the obvious redundancy of the Seaglide... Are all the vehicles in this game of equally questionable value? (Cyclops etc.) Just wondering if these are assets worth working towards, or if your character on his/her own can get around just as well without any of them. ??

The Seaglide is only this slow if you're using it on the surface. You aren't intended to use it at sea level.
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    edited April 2018
    You have to craft something that can only be crafted in the Cyclops in order to finish the game.

Oh, good point. I guess you just don't need it in order to reach any of the places you need to go.
  • ResaloliPTResaloliPT Portugal Join Date: 2018-05-01 Member: 240451Members
    Yep, as all others said seaglide will help you to go various places fast, i used it all the time even to short distances, and rly batteries are easy to get and to mantain, also if you have always your tools with you then you can use aditional batteries and recharge once back to seabase.

Tip: Have an battery charger and a locker next to each other and keep some batteries 100% on the locker, on my base i have always a wall containing 1 battery charger 2 powercell chargers and a locker
  • DST1348DST1348 Join Date: 2018-04-29 Member: 240420Members
    I also found the 3D map of the Seaglide helpful, when I was in a cave system with my Prawn suit's power running out and didn't know the way out again.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2018
    DST1348 wrote: »
    I also found the 3D map of the Seaglide helpful, when I was in a cave system with my Prawn suit's power running out and didn't know the way out again.

Hehe that s actually the thing I absolutely detest of the bloody thing, it's obscuring my actual view and it's also not very detailed for what you're using it for. I find it obscuring my view and because it is the default setting once you pull the thing up, BEYOND annoying :tongue:

But hey, I'm not a fan of the entire interface, every bit annoys me to some extent :trollface:
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    elfcrisis wrote: »
    Unless I'm hunting them, but that's only when I'm really, really bored, lol. (There's no real reason to do this, btw, you don't get anything for it.)

It's good if you want to laugh at the PDA entry after scanning it.
  • BigGrayGolemBigGrayGolem Lima Peru Join Date: 2018-04-24 Member: 240304Members
    Also, make sure you've put a battery in the seaglide, otherwise when you use it you just swim at the normal rate. A few times my battery died and I was wondering why I wasn't getting a speed boost. Doh!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Also, make sure you've put a battery in the seaglide, otherwise when you use it you just swim at the normal rate. A few times my battery died and I was wondering why I wasn't getting a speed boost. Doh!

The funny thing is, Just recently I've encountered a bug... "Did you try turning in off and on again" was the actual solution by removing my charged battery and reinserting it.

Alterra tech just isn't what is used to be!
  • BigGrayGolemBigGrayGolem Lima Peru Join Date: 2018-04-24 Member: 240304Members

Hehe that s actually the thing I absolutely detest of the bloody thing, it's obscuring my actual view and it's also not very detailed for what you're using it for. I find it obscuring my view and because it is the default setting once you pull the thing up, BEYOND annoying :tongue:

But hey, I'm not a fan of the entire interface, every bit annoys me to some extent :trollface:

Right click twice to toggle off the display and leave the headlight on.

Right click twice to toggle off the display and leave the headlight on.

Well obviously... But that doesn't make it any less annoying, the bloody game simply does not store your setting. TBH the interface needs a complete overhaul in any case to perhaps step out of pre-release status...
  • HiguideHiguide NJ Join Date: 2017-04-03 Member: 229385Members
    its certainly better than swimming on your own big time saves you from anxiety of potentially drowning avoiding predators finishing you off as a limbless stump least until you craft vehicles even then its a necessity
  • lordoffilinglordoffiling Join Date: 2017-08-10 Member: 232342Members
    edited May 2018
    Just saying: If you’re not going a LOT faster with the sea glide, something is very wrong on your end. Like, it shouldn’t even be a question, that should be night and day.