Tame-able Aquatic Creatures

Sea_x_HawkSea_x_Hawk North Texas Join Date: 2016-07-17 Member: 220337Members
edited April 2018 in Ideas and Suggestions
Make aquatic creature eggs hatch-able (after set period of time) in the players inventory to be able to tame them. The player then releases it into the open water and it follows the player. This could also be accomplished via a build-able incubator, built into aquarium/sea or inside a player's habitat (open air).

If the incubator is used, the progressive in-game building tier could be incorporated for specific sizes. For example, a small creature could be easily tamed via a craft-able incubator from the fabricator, medium sized in an incubator crafted in the advanced fabricator, large sized in a building designed to grow and keep them (found via blueprints) and craft-able using the habitat builder tool, and extra large the same way but more blueprints and in later sections of the game harder to reach... and much larger a building, obviously.

Could also require the player to stay in the creature's native area or have aquariums/habitats simulate said areas... via an optional environment panel that changes the aquarium's or habitat's environment automatically and instantly... in order to successfully hatch said creature.

While tames are "deployed," the player could then interact with it and feed it (carnivores other fish, herbivores plants). Aggressive Creatures help defend the player, and ones with abilities use them to help the player in specified circumstances.

Also, a player could tame multiple creatures by hatching them but only 1 would follow the player at a time. This could be accomplished a number of ways: keep extra tames in aquariums/habitats, or they could simply be an equip-able "item" in a specific slot in the players inventory somewhere alongside the suit. Perhaps both, as when on land the tame couldn't follow (although it could just wait at the point the player exited the water and return upon accessible re-entry).

This equip-able pet item feature could also be incorporated as an equip-able slot on all vehicles so that one can be attached to each vehicle... which opens up a whole other array of possibilities, as each creature attached to a vehicle could assist it in a number of ways (advanced).

Anyhow, just some ideas... If nothing else, would just love to have a pet follow me around for company! I've always wanted a pet rabbit ray!

What does everyone else think?

Comments

• jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Any creature hatched in the alien containment will be passive to the player
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Any creature hatched in the alien containment will be passive to the player

As far as I know, up until it's realeased into the water. Made that mistake and got hunted by a stalker from the moment I left.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    They are passive when they are released as well. At least for me, as when I let them out they don't attack me and instead they kill other creatures. I even had a crabsquid next to my base once and it would take care of the sand sharks while ignoring me.
  • ejnomadejnomad Under the Sea Join Date: 2018-04-15 Member: 240078Members
    They are still passive to you personally after being released. They will attack vehicles though.
  • DreadgeNoughtDreadgeNought Join Date: 2018-03-02 Member: 238486Members
    ejnomad wrote: »
    They are still passive to you personally after being released. They will attack vehicles though.

Yeah, something for the team to work on eh? (like with those "Cactus" Tiger plants firing barbs at you that can SOMEHOW damage a reinforced base / walls. . . yet later I planted some that could harm me?
    (perhaps due to no power at that 'defence point,' meh)

Would be fun if we could tame creatures better over time, place tags, and even train ones we release?
    But def needs be able to know to associate "You" with things that belong to you.

And for Tiger Plants to NOT be able to harm a base, fml, XD

PS, Reginalts + a size 2 or more Aquarium for Food is amazing.
    (not a bad thing have a "height 3+" or 5 tank for food/water with middle as divider)

Would also be nice to have "dried fruit" options?