Arctic DLC concept art megathread

1235»

Comments

• RowletAlexRowletAlex Eleventy-seven Nonexistent Street, Nowhereville, Outer Space. Join Date: 2018-03-16 Member: 239126Members Posts: 33 Advanced user
    edited July 13
    New concept art!

dm3k8zpnoyk2.jpeg
    At number one we have an early alien penguin. This won’t appear in the DLC and I’m not really gonna miss it. I’m not exactly getting a penguin feel from it.

1t0kb8b6oxfs.jpeg
    At number two, the return of the pinnicarid! Turns out we will be getting the black one! It’s got some alternate color schemes, all of which are nice, and I’ll be happy with whatever one they choose for the DLC.

bcxf90cqgft7.jpeg
    And finally, we’ve got a new creature! Meet the Titan Holefish, one of the weirdest (and coolest) creatures being added to the expansion, IMO. It’s biology is incredibly bizarre and seems to be something like an ocean sunfish mixed with a cuckoo’s victim, yet they’re symbiotic! Can’t wait to see these guys drifting about the Arctic seas.

EDIT:
    or6de42yy8jx.jpeg
    I WAS RIGHT. They ARE seal-like animals that go on land but hunt at sea! Seriously, read the photo description. It’s literally a seal. (This is of an old pinnicarid but it’s only been changed in appearance I imagine)
    Post edited by RowletAlex on
  • FlametuskFlametusk Sparse Reef Join Date: 2018-01-24 Member: 235582Members Posts: 69 Advanced user
    I'm hoping for C or D. Also, the Pinnicarid is SO CUTE.
    It is my opinion that the best place to build a base is the northern end of the Sparse Reef.

That moment when you accidentally eat the last Marblemelon.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members Posts: 377 Advanced user
    Flametusk wrote: »
    I'm hoping for C or D. Also, the Pinnicarid is SO CUTE.

This game has a history of cute creatures. Until they open their jaws at least.
    Snoutchi
  • FlametuskFlametusk Sparse Reef Join Date: 2018-01-24 Member: 235582Members Posts: 69 Advanced user
    Eh. I have a soft spot for creatures from the Cambrian period. Like Anomalocaris, or Opabinia.
    It is my opinion that the best place to build a base is the northern end of the Sparse Reef.

• lorcogothlorcogoth belgium Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207943Members Posts: 105 Advanced user

RowletAlex wrote: »
    New concept art!

bcxf90cqgft7.jpeg
    And finally, we’ve got a new creature! Meet the Titan Holefish, one of the weirdest (and coolest) creatures being added to the expansion, IMO. It’s biology is incredibly bizarre and seems to be something like an ocean sunfish mixed with a cuckoo’s victim, yet they’re symbiotic! Can’t wait to see these guys drifting about the Arctic seas.

oh great, its a carrier for Biters....
  • RowletAlexRowletAlex Eleventy-seven Nonexistent Street, Nowhereville, Outer Space. Join Date: 2018-03-16 Member: 239126Members Posts: 33 Advanced user
    edited July 13
    We just got a BUTTLOAD of new concept art, much of which is going unused. Since there is so much I won’t put my opinions on each for now.

The unused stuff:
    85gwyj22dt5k.jpeg
    2i9yqnj14qib.jpeg
    These are some unused concepts for the alien penguin, and they confirm the mysterious blue creature is in fact an old alien penguin. All of these are very nice, and it’s a shame we won’t get them ingame.
    21mctexstuip.jpeg
    This is an old sketch of the pinnicarid. Nothing too interesting.
    choi46k0unb8.jpeg
    Here’s an old squidshark. Not too different, but I definitely prefer the new one.
    el6ip9ki1g4m.jpeg
    7yit4v2jxrqk.jpeg
    ntg7beyfbob2.jpeg
    These three are some unused variants of regular creatures. We have a shuttlebug, a crabsquid, and a Mesmer(?) All seem obsessed with batteries for various reasons. I’m really sad we aren’t getting that Mesmer, especially mesmer B. IT’S SO CUTEEE
    3hzjmiu3om1n.jpeg
    This is a creature only known as the shard, which is like a bizarre knifefish that uses ice like squid ink. It’s a shame we’re losing such a fascinating creature, but I would imagine that ice dummy ability wou be difficult to animate.

The stuff we will get/not sure about:
    ctahd69xydy6.jpeg
    Here’s a closer look at the Titan Holefish symbionts. They’ll be fun to place on the taxonomic chart.
    vcihybq3dq27.jpeg
    This awesome beast is called the Brute Shark, and it’s a stalker/boneshark size animal. It may have been replaced by the squidshark but I certainly hope we get both of them.
    enmfi0a1jjnx.jpeg
    Here’s some anatomical details on the pinnicarid. This seems to confirm we’re getting pinnicarid A (new set of patterns)/pinnicarid C (original pattern set) It has neat anatomy, and for once it’s mouth isn’t terrifying!
    2wwj552wn9g3.jpeg
    ju17162lm34s.jpeg
    Here’s some details on the final alien penguin. I’m glad we can finally see how it’s feet work.
  • Hunter387Hunter387 Join Date: 2018-07-01 Member: 241853Members Posts: 50 Fully active user
    BlueBottle wrote: »
    Wow, that's gives a very alien feel!

What are those red things then? Some kind of terrestrial giant tubeworm? Maybe in a light breeze their tentacles flow out to snare the odd passing skyray.

That’s what there called ok. I thought the same thing about what they looked like
  • Hunter387Hunter387 Join Date: 2018-07-01 Member: 241853Members Posts: 50 Fully active user
    Ok random idea I wonder if the precursors are gonna be there to..
    We got a new fauna the Titan Holefish it is a cite to be hold and also we have the another one with it. http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Titan_Holefish
    Bit late to the party, eh?

• Q_bertQ_bert Canada Join Date: 2018-05-08 Member: 240607Members Posts: 57 Advanced user
    I SERIOUSLY hope we get something akin to a sea angel, those things are really cute and giant ones in an alien containment? Heck yeah!
    Flametusk wrote: »
    Bit late to the party, eh?
    Might be just now realized it was a thing but oh well.
    Q_bert wrote: »
    I SERIOUSLY hope we get something akin to a sea angel, those things are really cute and giant ones in an alien containment? Heck yeah!

??
  • Q_bertQ_bert Canada Join Date: 2018-05-08 Member: 240607Members Posts: 57 Advanced user
1235»