Rebinding alien abilities

MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
All of the aliens have a single primary attack and multiple secondary abilities but with the weapon system as it is, it's easy to accidentally use one a secondary ability instead of the primary attack (parasiting instead of biting).

The alien weapon system could be changed so that the primary attack is always active on LMB and switching through abilities changes what's active on RMB.
This change would make it a lot more difficult to accidentally attack with the wrong ability.

With the change:
Skulk
LMB: Bite
RMB: Parasite, Leap, Xenocide
Gorge
LMB: Spit
RMB: Heal Spray, Build Menu, Bile Bomb, Bait Ball
Lerk
LMB: Bite
RMB: Spikes, Spores, Umbra
Fade
LMB: Swipe
RMB: Blink, Metabolise, Stab
Onos
LMB: Gore
RMB: Charge, Stomp, Shield

Comments

• pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Just transfers the problem from LMB to RMB and confuses all players used to the current system without any real gain.

I'm srsly wondering about ppls' configs, when it seems so troublesome to switch weapons and forget which you switched to.
    What happens very rarely to me:
    -I attack marine with parasite instead of bite, because either my old keyboard has shitty keys or my key pressing was just sloppy.
    -I confuse spores and umbra as Lerk, because I rarely play Lerk and im not used to its weapon keys.

So it seems like this is mostly just a matter of practise, experience and lack of proper focus on keypressing/weapon switching.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    pSyk0mAn wrote: »
    -I confuse spores and umbra as Lerk, because I rarely play Lerk and im not used to its weapon keys.

Not to mention the weaponslot for umbra is placed ahead of spores despite being tied to a later biomass