Main menu buggy

BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
edited March 2018 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
Perhaps this should be in Ideas and Suggestions, but if I was a Dev I'd look for this kind of stuff here.

On my PC, the main-menu's performance is not good. Two reasons really:
1. Background graphics show waves jumping about at around 20 fps.
2. When I select a load game - the graphics and interface both freeze for about minute before switching to the loading screen.

Maybe these are just on my PC. Personally I don't care so much - since the actual gameplay graphics now run really smoothly since all the performance fixes just before release (thanks for all those LODs you made for us guys!)

However, I suspect that new players get the first impression they're in for an unpolished game.
The first problem could be easily fixed by running a video clip of the main-menu background, rather than having the game-engine render it in real time.
The second problem, by including an interim loading bar just to let you know the game hasn't frozen (and perhaps a comforting messsage from Alterra reassuring us of the high quality company death benefits insurance we all received before departure).

Cheers then

(Build No: Mar-2018 59963)

Comments

• narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    #1. That seems to be a demonstration of waves at current graphics settings; setting higher detail and water quality improves the appearance of the waves.

#2. I get a pause, but never more than a few seconds. It may depend on whether you use a solid state drive or ordinary hard drive. Solid state drives help a lot with Subnautica's long load times, and the stuttering when it loads a new area.