The upcoming DLC

WolfarusWolfarus Join Date: 2017-02-26 Member: 228290Members
Supposedly the upcoming dlc will be based in an entirely new location of the planet, and put us in control of a diff survivor.

As a personal opinion, i would like to see us given the option of playing thru this new location with our first/single character(before escaping), and give the players a gender choice for both the main game and dlc.

For the first part, i dont like the idea of having spent the time investing into the first playthru (all the base building, exploration, ect) then turning around and having to start over for the DLC. I understand that story-wise it's supposed to be a brand new person, but i prefer continuity in games like this. Gives me a deeper sense of satisfaction when i finally do make it to the end.

As for the second part, just think it would be a favor to the players if we're given the choice to play a male or female character. Having the ability to choose in both instances(dlc path and gender choice) would increase the play-value of an already awesome game.

Again, want to reiterate that this is all just personal opinion based on what i've heard, and is in no way meant to be a demand or rant :)

Comments

• BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    How would you like to link the events of the two stories together for a return to the planet?
  • DonHewgodookoDonHewgodooko United Kingdom Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236380Members
    I've been thinking how we could make new content for this game with continuity from the main story. I was thinking the DLC could start with you getting a telepathic message from an ascended Sea Emperor, after her passing away she ascended to an elevated plane of existence and is now contacting you again because her offspring are in danger from a new threat. You fly back to the planet to find out what or who is the threat...

This could open up opportunities for brand new biomes and creatures. You could say the enzyme that spread around the planet encouraged the return of species that were near extinction. The threat could be anything from the explorer aliens returning or a malevolent hidden sentient species that wish to use the young Sea Emperors for their own nefarious schemes. The sky's the limit!
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    the only problem that i can foreseeably see is since this planet is the source of the outbreak seen throughout both Natural Selection games. Any return to the planet would most likely be Alterra wanting to get their ship back.
    From what I know of Alterra, their first concern would probably be to find a way to commodify Kharar.
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    BlueBottle wrote: »
    From what I know of Alterra, their first concern would probably be to find a way to commodify Kharar.

if not them, the mongolians
    I wouldn't expect that from the Mongolians so much, who seem less business like, but more like hippies on steroids to me. Of course I'm sure they could find other, more honorable, reasons to kill the player with something sharp and pointy.
  • VarikiVariki USA Join Date: 2018-04-08 Member: 239899Members
    I just finished the game and I'm in that thoughtful state of, what now. What would pull me back into this game. I feel the core focus of the game was survival and exploration, they offered simple requirements to build things, seriously...a giant ship for just a few bars, glass and oil. They basically made a game where you spent more time exploring and eating/drinking then fighting, harvesting and building. I think that made for me taking more risks honestly, i made 2 cyclops and drove one into places that put me in harms way because I knew I could easily build another but I never did loose a ship...which I'm not sure how I feel about. I built bases all over but seldom went back to them because I'd found another location that offered the same resources + others I need or was closer to the story line.

I think there is a great opportunity to make a 'true' expansion, to expand this game further along in the story and game play. Here are my thoughts on story, setting, items etc;
    It starts out where we left off, in the orbit of home and we land/dock. We have our first interaction with a person as a representative of Alt confirms the recount of our story and then lets us know that that 1 trillion dept is a real thing but in lite of the situation we can spend some time at home before it needs to be paid off. //This would be the opportunity to give our character a voice and introduce a spouse or friend. Also allowing players to empathize more with our avatar.

The 'spouse' lets us know that Alt has already informed them that they will be sending 'us' back to the planet to work off our dept. They can't send another team for fear of the infection but they want to start harvesting on the planet and you owe a dept so they will send you. I feel that fits the narrative of how Alt works. Our 'spouse' has volunteered to support us by running the orbital facility that will be installed around the planet to launch the shipments to the phasegate.

Launch to planet and because of what I want to see happen next all of our structures can still be there and all the resources you saved can still be there.

Alt will have given us map cords to start building various super structures for mining, fishing, etc. These structure will require massive amounts of materials, energy and build similar to the rocket but just be 10x more resource intensive. We will need to operate these facility in the same way as well to get them started. Once started we have to take finished product to a launch pad or orbital elevator to send them up to the orbital facility that will send them on to Alt to start paying our dept off.

Our spouse will be building the orbital facility so they will need supplies from the planet sent up as needed for them to build up their part and may request things such as eggs, fish and flowers for their own aquarium which gives more drive to find eggs and harvest seeds and explore in general. Each scan of a creature should yield a friendly conversation as they see it when we scan it. "OOhh, do you think you can catch one for me?"

I would like to have 1 new sub, a massive sub for getting to and exploring the new areas. This sub would have a much greater ability to deal with the Leviathan preds and you would be able to pick a limited number of modules/rooms to add to it. The issue I have with the cyclops is that there is no reason to have two other than protecting a seamoth and Prawn at the same time. With this unit the idea is to be a hauler and starter location. The first one you build can take a Cyclops and then as you expand it you can eventually get 2 moonpools and X number of other modules. Crafting room, storage, botanical guardian, aquarium, more armor, shield, expanded counter measures, vortex torpedoes, speed boost, power efficiency, etc. Real choices that meet the different play styles. So maybe your confident you can avoid getting in a major fight, get a crafting room and 2 storage rooms so you can take a lot of resources with you to start your base in the next zone.

Zones. Speaking of the massive ship my thought is that it's simply too large to go into the areas, it gets parked on the edges and you launch your ships from it and make bases further in. (This thing is big). So if I'm being realistic there would be 4 new zones each about 1/4 the size of the full zone of the current game with a Reef bio and something else, the finally area having that lower lava cavern as well. That makes plenty of space for a main base and maybe you like some small ones here and there. You also have the major factories that will be built in each of these zones that will take up a large segment on the edge, but you will know where they will be and can't build in that area.

To further the Sea Emperor story we would find that the children are at the different zones and each understands our need to build factories but has requests of us to insure the quality of the environment. These additional tasks will, like their parent require different parts from all bioms.

Quick list:
    -That alien stuff is suppose to last forever so it's all still there. To keep from needing to harvest ion cubes in the depths one of the first tasks should be to build a energy device in that room or at the disabled gun that 'pull's' that power up to the new launch pad/elevator.
    -The new ships and MK# items will cause ships to pull more power. After a trip hitting a base to charge batts should be common.
    -Give all ships the ability to dock to base OR at least make a tesla device so that once you are in range of such device the ships batts get charged.
    -Give tools an upgrade or wipe them before we land. I have no issue with all the scan tools, wielders, etc. 'breaking and decaying' that way I can build the new versions when I arrive. What I don't want is making storage for the 8 I now have. OR give me a sunset method such as a recycle machine that slowly turns things back to raw materials.
    -The prawn needs a MK2 to the drill to mine faster and have a MK2 for bigger storage.
    -Give the seamoth a speed module to make it even faster with the expansion of the zone.

Final thoughts:
    The game is about exploring, building, resource gathering and a little combat. The only things that I truly wish to see in the expansion is 1 ship to take all my vehicles from point A to point B, a more Overwhelming demand from Altera, something that I am really going to have to work hard for and more reasons to develop bases other than food, water and scanning an area.

Just some random thoughts,
    -Variki
    Hey there @Variki ,

That's a very thoughtful post. Actually you'll might be disappointed in the expansion. The little we do know is that it's gonna take place elsewhere (Arctic) with a different protagonist (female). But it's interesting the different things people get out of the game.

Personally I'd find your preferred DLC an unattractive proposition. I like the exploration, not the building of megastructures. Actually, I like to keep my bases real small (3-4 compartments) and positioned out of sight to minimise their blight on the landscape. And drilling with the PRAWN - meh. Outside the lava zones that little Seamoth sports model is the vehicle for me.

The chance of coming back to pioneer Alterra's ambitions for a massive global resource extraction with bigger and badder machines is, personally, far from my ambitions (I think they're jerks really). Rather, doing a little ecoterrorism on Alterra would be more my cup of tea!

Cheers then.
  • BlueDino2001337BlueDino2001337 Join Date: 2018-02-07 Member: 237114Members
    Here to say love the game and is in favor in the upcoming DLC to which will still be glad for just an add (though small) region; just it having a creative and special environment.
    Side comment: dealing with the sea dragon, should be more difficult to deal with- survive.
  • deathslaughter9_deathslaughter9_ Usa Join Date: 2017-05-26 Member: 230768Members
    Im an xbox player and im hoping they give us the dlc for the trouble we are having and i like the idea of the new dlc
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Im an xbox player and im hoping they give us the dlc for the trouble we are having and i like the idea of the new dlc

Why wouldn't they give you DLC?

Also, as for the issues, that's probably gonna be patched on the DLC release.
  • McBooMcBoo Join Date: 2017-05-15 Member: 230513Members
    I don't mind the idea of starting over with a new character in a new area like the upcoming arctic zone. It honestly makes the most narrative sense that there are multiple survivors. Lack of communication can be explained away by something about the Arctic zone preventing long range communications or even something as simple as PDA warnings against crossing the open ocean between the two zones. I do think it should be possible to choose gender at the beginning of the game though as well as deciding where you want to start your adventure once there are multiple zones available.
  • tannerdfortenberrytannerdfortenberry Join Date: 2018-05-04 Member: 240522Members
    I feel that the new DLC should include the main story events like the sunbeam being destroyed. like you can intercept some of the transmissions and hear the explosion. You should be able see the rocket leaving the atmosphere. Also with the Kaharr being cured that should not effect the new climate. maybe add frozen creatures from a prehistoric time on the planet and be able to drill ice to gather information about the planet. From a person interest maybe some sort of civilization or ruins from sentient life actually existing, over looked by the Kah. The alien rifle from the display case in the defense building. and possibly the doomsday device also in the location could play in with the new story.
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    Just so everyone gets the full scoop as far as known information:
    http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Expansion_Pack
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    If they can find a way to link the two maps (The warp gates e.g.) without breaking the storylines of either mode, I'd be all for that. Sadly, I think that if they're set on the Arctic expansion taking place after the events of the main game, I don't think it'd be possible in reverse.

That is, the arctic could load in your base game save and you could travel to the Crater and find your old bases and stuff, but you can't travel to the Arctic from the Crater in your base game - as it may interrupt any new story related content.

I'd like to be able to visit both, but I can live with it not being possible/practical as well.
  • TugstoneTugstone Join Date: 2018-05-21 Member: 240844Members
    edited May 2018
  • TugstoneTugstone Join Date: 2018-05-21 Member: 240844Members
    Wolfarus wrote: »
    Supposedly the upcoming dlc will be based in an entirely new location of the planet, and put us in control of a diff survivor.

As a personal opinion, i would like to see us given the option of playing thru this new location with our first/single character(before escaping), and give the players a gender choice for both the main game and dlc.

For the first part, i dont like the idea of having spent the time investing into the first playthru (all the base building, exploration, ect) then turning around and having to start over for the DLC. I understand that story-wise it's supposed to be a brand new person, but i prefer continuity in games like this. Gives me a deeper sense of satisfaction when i finally do make it to the end.

As for the second part, just think it would be a favor to the players if we're given the choice to play a male or female character. Having the ability to choose in both instances(dlc path and gender choice) would increase the play-value of an already awesome game.

Again, want to reiterate that this is all just personal opinion based on what i've heard, and is in no way meant to be a demand or rant :)

why not take an alternate universe? you know when you leave the planet your ship takes damage from the asteroid field? well... make the ship malfunction and crash land (again) into the planet, this time in the arctic biome, the idea is that you start where you past character left off, its not going to be too advanced, it will just show the cut scene and stuff, you wont actually play the regular mode unless you disable the DLC, so you take off, take damage, crash, then it will give you a survival set, something to start off and survive with.

so recap, you take the cut scene of you leaving the planet, your escape pod malfunctions from the asteroid field and crash on or near the iceberg and have to restart from scratch, using your sunken escape pod as you "life pod" from the first game, you scavenge for materials and have to re clean yourself of the sickness in the waters. all the while avoiding the monsters and other beast to escape again, it wont be an easy fight, there wont be a sea emperor to talk you through it all, nor a functional aurora to help, nor some of your blue prints due to damage from the fall, good luck survivor, your gonna need it. (one final note, a vessel will try to save you due to the distress signal from you escape pod but gets taken down by a massive kraken like beast, easily able to destroy a cyclops's, you will have to sneak around it to get at the remains of the vessel to try and survive or get blue prints to escape again, your pda will forget the escape pod blue print and some others due to the fall, there's no stasis rife to stop the beast, no repulse rifle, just you and your flairs, flashlight, and scanner.) (p.s. if one of the deves reads this and wants to use this, I will gladly give this up to you, this is your game, go wild with it) ;)
  • Migel_O_HaraMigel_O_Hara Join Date: 2018-05-27 Member: 240962Members
    I hope that there will be a lot of new features)