Why did my fish die?

ShaneoShaneo Join Date: 2018-03-11 Member: 238928Members
From what I understand you can have 10 fish in the alien containment tank. I came back to find them all dead (4 bone sharks and 1 Crabsquid).

So as a bone shark uses 4 slots in your inventory do they in fact count as 4 fish each in the tank and that's why they died? Even then I thought only the excess fish died if you had more than 10.

Or maybe the plants in the planter count towards population for some reason? And no I didn't have tiger plants in there.
It's not that I didn't try feeding them small fish. They are all passive to one another in there.

Comments

• Gamerman47Gamerman47 Join Date: 2018-03-18 Member: 239277Members
    edited March 2018
    @Shaneo If you have 2 or more of the same fish then overtime they repopulate. if they repopulate to much some fish will die and be replaced by other fish. Also if fish are unattended for to long they Die as well. Hope this helps! :)

EDIT: Also plants should not effect your animals even if they where tiger plants. :)
  • ShaneoShaneo Join Date: 2018-03-11 Member: 238928Members
    Gamerman47 wrote: »
    @Shaneo If you have 2 or more of the same fish then overtime they repopulate. if they repopulate to much some fish will die and be replaced by other fish. Also if fish are unattended for to long they Die as well. Hope this helps! :)

EDIT: Also plants should not effect your animals even if they where tiger plants. :)

Yea only 2 of them were from reproducing and those 5 all together were the only ones in the tank when I left. When I came back they were dead but just those 5. They hadn't reproduced any further. It was still just those 5, no extra.

Do you know how long they can be unattended? Because I really wasn't gone for that long in the grand scheme of things. About an hour real time.
  • Gamerman47Gamerman47 Join Date: 2018-03-18 Member: 239277Members
    @Shaneo I will do some research for you and see what I can find. :)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Don't worry, you're not a monster @Shaneo. I can't even keep a cactus alive :worried:
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    They died because you didn't put a castle and a treasure chest of bubbles in there
    They died because you didn't put a castle and a treasure chest of bubbles in there

Well damn! I should have known lol. Devs, we need these blueprints immediately
    I'm just glad that I let my cuddlefish out before hand :o
    That would've been a disaster!
  • catazoancatazoan Join Date: 2018-03-14 Member: 239053Members
    @shaneo now I really don'y know what to do with my cuddlefish because every time I bring one outside it vanishes and now inside isn't safe either
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    catazoan wrote: »
    @shaneo now I really don'y know what to do with my cuddlefish because every time I bring one outside it vanishes and now inside isn't safe either

I tried to put my cuddlefish in the bioreactor. Since they have tons of HP I thought it would fuel the reactor longer than usual fish.
    Seems like you can't put cuddlefishes in the reactor though...
    Maalteromm wrote: »

I tried to put my cuddlefish in the bioreactor. Since they have tons of HP I thought it would fuel the reactor longer than usual fish.

well I guess that's also not an option... and neither is eating them
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members

Maybe because that's demented and wrong? Killing such a nice companion is just screwed up, no matter how ugly.
    That said, never use a Hoverfish or Cutefish in the reactor.
    edited March 2018
    I really didn't get the companion part as they always ran away from me whenever I released them and that's before I thought of eating them. And yes I know they're supposed to follow me but they don't. they head to the aurora instead and don't come back :/ most likely because reapers keep them from escaping as my base was close to the back of the ship
  • ltorionltorion United States Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236698Members
    Ive seen youtube videos where bonesharks and a crabsquid in an ACU got into a fight and everyone died, could be that.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Fish don't attack each other in the ACU. if you seen videos with that happening that means they spawned the creature in the tank with commands
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    a

Maybe because that's demented and wrong? Killing such a nice companion is just screwed up, no matter how ugly.
    There's an interpretation far more significant than simply calling it "dementedly wrong". The error message produced states that it requires organic matter to run, so I'm guessing the cuddlefish is actually a murderous synth!!
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    a

There's an interpretation far more significant than simply calling it "dementedly wrong". The error message produced states that it requires organic matter to run, so I'm guessing the cuddlefish is actually a murderous synth!!

Even then, it's still kinda screwed up. Why would you want to grind up such a nice creature? It hangs with you and is very friendly. Even if it's ugly, its personality is so cute. It just seems wrong to try and shove it in a bioreactor.

Of course, it's a game, but that feels kinda wrong.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    a

Even then, it's still kinda screwed up. Why would you want to grind up such a nice creature? It hangs with you and is very friendly. Even if it's ugly, its personality is so cute. It just seems wrong to try and shove it in a bioreactor.

Of course, it's a game, but that feels kinda wrong.

On an alien planet, morals come secondary.
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members

waaaaait... I'm pretty sure that the Cutefish is just the ID for the Cuddlefish. Are they separate creatures?

waaaaait... I'm pretty sure that the Cutefish is just the ID for the Cuddlefish. Are they separate creatures?

No, I rather call it cutefish. Depends on what you're accustom to.