Please let us disable AA entirely.

GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
When I go to the options, I can select FXAA or TAA. Neither of these is a good option, they all produce reduced quality because AA is a process for making low resolution images appear better via subterfuge. With modern high resolution monitors, AA is not needed and can often be undesirable as it produces blurring and artifacts, and at 4K resolution puts an entirely unnecessary burden on GPUs.

Comments

• AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    I'm gonna agree with you because I did not understand anything you just said but it sounds smart.
  • ResilientPanda0ResilientPanda0 Join Date: 2017-10-02 Member: 233359Members
    I'm gonna agree with you because I did not understand anything you just said but it sounds smart.

same
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    You can turn it off by going to the antialiasing quality, and changing it to "off"
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2018
    You can turn it off by going to the antialiasing quality, and changing it to "off"

It's kinda strange though, having the "off" setting under AA quality setting, instead of the AA setting :D
  • GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
    LOL Anomaly :)

I'll give that a try again Aku, but it didn't seem to have any effect whatsoever when I tried it before, even with a game restart.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2018
    I'll give that a try again Aku, but it didn't seem to have any effect whatsoever when I tried it before, even with a game restart.

The easiest way to test this, is to switch between FXAA and TAA while keeping an eye on the Subnautica Logo in the background with the quality setting set to "high" and "off". You can see when it's set to "off", it no longer anti-aliases the sawtooth edges
  • GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
    It turns out my problem was more deeply seated in the hidden settings than just AA type/quality. I have fixed it now.