If you're having problems with Thermal plants

GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
Look for one of these thermal vents and stuff them down it as close as you can get without being turned into a lobster:

rdcf05x0i0h7.jpg

The coordinates for this one, if you know how to use them, are: -64, -30, -430. Conveniently, a good base location in Safe Shallows is right over the (underwater) hill as you face away from the Aurora. Locate it far enough away that you don't get the thundering roar of the vent going off every few seconds constantly while inside your base, it only takes a few power transmitter pylons. If you look closely, the displays on the thermal plants are all well above 70 degrees, yielding a very high level of power for your base compared to safer 50 degree locations, or the 15-20 degrees a lot of people who don't use them properly get.

k1uio5h64n3a.jpg

This last one is very hard to place without dying, and you MUST have the reinforced diving suit, but it's well worth the 78 degree operating environment.

I can run 3 water filtration machines, keep a PRAWN and Seamoth charged, and run battery and power cell chargers easily with them. I never use my bioreactor anymore and have never, in the two years plus I've had Subnautica, built a nuclear plant.

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    Might not work for those areas, but putting a foundation by the deeper thermal vents makes placing the Thermal Reactors a lot easier.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited March 2018
    You could also use foundations and power transmitters. In older versions this wouldn't be possible as they would just power the foundation so you would have to connect that foundation to your base, but luckily before 1.0 the devs changed that. So you can place them on foundations and use power transmitters to power your base instead of the foundation. Very useful
  • GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
    That's good to know. I never use foundations except for external planters.