Completed on Hardcore - Thought on making the game better

ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
I recently completed the game on hardcore mode and wanted to share my thoughts. I generally enjoyed the game but think I would've enjoyed it more were things implemented or designed differently. I see so much potential for this game to become something even greater than it currently is and will discuss the various aspects of that separately.

Creatures
Creatures generally are not that much of a threat due to having a limited spawn location and patrol radius, and often you can just charge past with a Sea Glide or Seamoth. High threat creatures such as Reapers can either be avoided entirely due to known spawn locations (that you do not need to go to) or passed with rudimentary timing skills. I never had a sense of dread while playing the game unless I willingly went into a location where I knew there was a Reaper.
  1. Multiple spawn locations for Leviathans with a bigger patrol radius.
  2. Creatures can patrol the world more (and randomly) so that you always have to look out.
  3. Packs of creatures that move together and pose a greater threat to the player.
  4. Creatures a bigger threat to vehicles and bases.

Exploration and Environment
I generally enjoyed exploring the world (although I found it a bit small) and found the environments to be very nice. I also enjoyed looking for technology/fragments in the broken ship parts and on the ocean floor. Unfortunately due to previous attempts at the game I knew where a lot of the important fragments were and had hoped there was some random aspect to this to increase replay-ability. It's also very easy to reach a lot of the important tech due to it not being that deep or getting access to technology that reduces this problem such as the re-breather and the portable air refill stations (Seamoth) allowing you to too easily dive to 500m or more. Simply put you get environmental challenge negating tech too easily, too early, and it reduces the challenge too much.
  1. Make Seamoth and Prawn suit less of an instant mobile air refill station
  2. Environmental challenges require you to play differently, but can later be mitigated with progressively better equipment (rather than for example zero challenge depth due to early game re-breather)
  3. More environmental challenges such as heat, cold, radiation (not just from the Aurora)
  4. Changing environmental challenges due to story (like fixing the radiation leak)

Vehicles and items
There is some redundant tech in the game that you will rarely if ever use due to there being zero need. For example in my recent play through on hardcore didn't or rarely used the lightweight high capacity tank, ultra glide fins (the Sea Glide and Ultra High Capacity Tank are simply better), the floating air pump, Propulsion Cannon, Stasis Rifle, Pathfinder Tool and numerous other. I simply never had a situation where I needed it and this isn't simply due to my play style. I suspect much of it would be more useful with my comments on bases, exploration and creatures.
  1. Reconsider Sea Glide ignoring weight (so that there is a point to Lightweight tank and Ultraglide Fins)
  2. Make some of the higher end tech more difficult to get rather than just being available straight away with the modification station (this ties in to some of my base research ideas below)
  3. Cyclops ability to pitch to make it more easy to get through the world
  4. Make the Seamoth more difficult to get (currently too early and too cheap)

Base Building
Building a base is generally not that necessary other than getting a moon pool for upgrades or in my case a multipurpose room with thermal power plants and a water filtration unit in the lava zone. I built a base purely because I could, not because I needed to. Below is a list of ideas that would make the base building aspect more interesting and more necessary:
  1. Neptune Rocket requires you to stock it up with food, water and fuel for the trip, requiring you to set up water, food and fuel production. This requires space, power and time
  2. Higher end materials require production facilities such as refining or chemical reactions rather than just everything being produced from the replicator. This requires space, power and time
  3. Higher end technologies require research (not to take away the fun of exploring for fragments btw!) which takes power, space and time
  4. Manufacturing of components is in a factory style unit and requires power, space and time.
  5. Base occasionally under attack by leviathans or the environment (this could increase as you get more advanced) which requires the player to defend the base with shield, silent modes, decoys etc. The player would have to make damage control choices such as putting out a fire that would ravage expensive systems, flooding of compartments and their repair, toxic gases from production making compartments unusable until degassed.

I am sure there are other things that will come to mind at a later date.

Comments

• TheBritainTheBritain Join Date: 2018-02-20 Member: 237980Members
    If you're a hardcore survival fan, this would be great. Some of us are not into extreme micromanagement followed by instant death for messing up; this game hits the sweetspot of playability, and difficulty.
  • jehrekjehrek Join Date: 2017-11-22 Member: 234080Members
    Base Building: Totally on board. There needs to be some kind of advantage or need to having a base (other than the mentioned moonpool upgrade station)

Creatures: If there was something the player could do between run from and Rambo a Leviathan, bring on the increased difficulty. Creature behaviors such as leading a predator towards a Reaper, the Reaper focuses on the known food source, etc.

Vehicles and Items: Again, on point. Especially with the more valuable tech more difficult to obtain.

Exploration and Environment: Cold would be great, radiation from Uranium deposits (and carried Uranium, for added fun); yes, I know it's only mildly radioactive to humans.
  • project_demonproject_demon Join Date: 2003-07-12 Member: 18103Members
    TheBritain wrote: »
    If you're a hardcore survival fan, this would be great. Some of us are not into extreme micromanagement followed by instant death for messing up; this game hits the sweetspot of playability, and difficulty.

What he's suggesting will only make your experience of the game even better even on lower difficulties, I'm getting close to finishing the game, I will write a big review once I'm done because i really like the game so far. But I can already tell that I sorta agree with what he's saying.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Thanks all for the feedback.

TheBritain wrote: »

I don't think what I am suggesting would introduce micromanagement and that certainly is not my goal. My goal is to make the game satisfying to play by making choices matter and challenges actually challenging.
  • TalanicTalanic United States Join Date: 2018-02-21 Member: 238014Members
    Leviathans patrolling randomly is problematic for people with lesser computers. If I couldn't see a Reaper coming towards my base, I wouldn't really be able to play in hardcore because my progress could be wiped away arbitrarily with an instant kill. We'd need more tools for managing leviathans at lower levels.

Pack-hunting lesser enemies, though, would be great, and a more even scaling of tech upgrades could also be an improvement.

Generally, though, I'd say that I really just want more Subnautica. I wasn't dissatisfied with the game, just hungry for more.
  • VoxelVoxel Join Date: 2017-07-10 Member: 231713Members
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    Would like some way to save progress in hardcore, preferably costing power and resources. Getting killed by a warper on full auto attack mode wouldn’t be fun with a hardcore game.
  • Feelx234Feelx234 Germany Join Date: 2018-02-22 Member: 238098Members
    edited February 2018
    Creatures:
    Agreed, you can almost always swim/drive past them.

Exploration and Environment:
    1. Maybe make them have a large but limited (upgradable?) air tank (2000-5000) which gets depleted whenever you refill your normal air tanks and slowly while driving
    2. Agreed
    3. Agreed
    4. Loved it
    5. Exploration from the lost river on becomes much less interesting from my point of view, no fragments, no new tech (only depth upgrades), maybe have the player adopt alien tech
    6. Additionally: Make beacons cheaper so you can keep track of your favorite spots more easily

Vehicles and items
    1. Additionally: Make local map you see on the Seaglide an upgrade as it feels way to strong early into the game
    2. Agreed
    3. Don't think it really needs the pitch, I'd pref an additional view (a side view instead of the top-down default) whenever nearing sth. solid, would also ease manouverability
    4. Or make the seamoth a lot weaker in the early phases of the game

Bases:
    1. How awesome <3 would that be
    2. Agreed, would be awesome
    3. Maybe bring some alien tech in for study into a lab? generate new blueprint that way?
    4. Yeah maybe also make use of bases in different biomes like: This factory needs many fungal enzymes in the water around it (create a tool that detects these enzymes in advance to find the right place for it) or this facility needs pressure below 1000 meters to produce this product) If forcing this would be to harsh at least increase efficiency under certain conditions
    5. I always chose my bases far away from predators until I realized there is no equipment to prevent them from attacking so, so they probably never will I'd personally love that feature, there already is sound implemented maybe have larger bases/factories create more noise which attracts predators
    6. Additionally: Why the hack do bases have infinite Oxygen? I'd love it that they have a limited amount of oxygen which can be refilled (through floating air pump?) or some cool lategame stuff which either generates oxygen through Electrolysis or you'd have to bring a large oxygen container from a base near the surface. Or you have to use plants which produce a lot of oxygen.
    7. Additionally: Make base building maybe a little more challenging in the depths
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Would this be difficult to mod, does anyone know?
  • ssutcliffessutcliffe United States Join Date: 2016-11-01 Member: 223565Members
    One of the things I like about this game is the fact that most creatures acted kind of like real creatures. In the real world, the wildlife is not out to get you, it's out to mostly do it's own thing. So sand sharks (for instance), stay mostly in the sand and don't bother you unless you get too close and make them think you're prey. Stalkers can be bribed with fish. Bonesharks actually do hunt in packs, and out of all the creatures listed, seem to be the only ones who really seem to want only to kill the player or at least eat his seamoth. Go to the Underwater Islands and you can see this.

Now I can see the true 'survival game' fans not liking this much, since it does offer a lessor challenge. Personally though, I can't think of any other game that models sea life in a way that might actually at least try to mirror true life - and for me at least, it makes the game a lot more interesting. I've actually wasted long periods of time teasing my aquarium tamed
    Stalker by taking just one of his titanium shards and moving it 10 feet away.

MY SHARD GOT MOVED! MUST PUT BACK IN PILE!

It may not be hardcore survival, but it's sure fun!

This game to me is less a 'survival game' anyway, and more an exploration/factfinding/science game. Creating a world that's just out to get a player is easy - making one that makes you think it could be real is not.
  • weakpenguenweakpenguen Join Date: 2018-02-06 Member: 237005Members
    i want add somethiks

1. dont let evrythink grow in exterir growbeds. for ex. kelp needs sunligths. if you want to grow them in darkes bioms like lost river you have to use alian con.
    2. make alian con. biom slecteby so you can grow spiceses for curtain bioms. means you cant grow acid mushroom and deep mushroom side by side and make them that they need energy to work .
    3. make viecles recipes more hard. for example for building cyclops you will need more resorce and plus 6 energy cells. 6 energy cells coming nowhere when you build it.
    4. o2 producer for bases and vehicles or modules which are use energy to produce.
    5. recalculate energy production rates of solar, termal and bio reactors so we have a reason to build nuclear reactor.

well game is very good.tnx devolopers . its worth its money.

also sory for my bad english.
  • GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
    jehrek wrote: »
    Base Building: Totally on board. There needs to be some kind of advantage or need to having a base (other than the mentioned moonpool upgrade station)

There is. Someplace to store things, and replenish food and water. I place several mini bases along the route between the safe shallows and the inactive lava area, each with one Multipurpose Room, a Moon Pool, a Thermal Plant located to a heat source, two plant pots of arbitrary style with 4 marble melons each, a water filtration machine, a fabricator and whatever else I decide I want in each location.

No more need to take a Cyclops out of Safe Shallows or even build one at all, thus no navigating that whale through the caves.

Due to careful placement I can travel between them with just a seaglide; no seamoth, prawn suit or cyclops necessary, though I prefer to use a moth.
  • GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
    edited March 2018
    Feelx234 wrote: »
    Make beacons cheaper so you can keep track of your favorite spots more easily

Make local map you see on the Seaglide an upgrade as it feels way to strong early into the game

Why the hack do bases have infinite Oxygen? I'd love it that they have a limited amount of oxygen which can be refilled (through floating air pump?) or some cool lategame stuff which either generates oxygen through Electrolysis or you'd have to bring a large oxygen container from a base near the surface. Or you have to use plants which produce a lot of oxygen.
    [*] Additionally: Make base building maybe a little more challenging in the depths
    [/list]

While it may be a matter of opinion, I find beacons to already be very cheap. How much cheaper do you want than one titanium and one copper? I have these all over the place, so much that I have to turn them on and off frequently with the beacon manager.

I don't know how you find the topographical map on the seaglide useful at all, much less "way too strong". Completely worthless and gets in your face all the time. I'd rather have the map toggle removed and put on a different hotkey so I can just switch the light on and off with the RMB.

Seriously, you find infinite oxygen unbelievable in a high tech, galaxy spanning civilization? Electrolysis is a simple technology in real life, just not practical at our level of technology for use in diving. It's just built into every base and vehicle into the game due to its absolute necessity for human habitation, and the power has to be on for it to work. This is a no-brainer. If it wouldn't mess up the survival aspect of the game, requiring you to seek an o2 source periodically, I'd say build it into the suit or diving mask, run off the body heat of the player.