Dear Developers - Please Bring Back HUD Thermometers

matrixdllmatrixdll Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235941Members
edited February 2018 in Ideas and Suggestions
They might not be very useful or functional (but even that is up to debate - some players have reported in feedback system that they used it when looking for an optimal place to put their thermal plant to see the temperature BEFORE building it and cooking their guts up in the process / or when you collect resources in Lost River and fail to see a hotspot nearby due to limited FOV and lack of anything in environmental color scheme that would suggest the water goes really hot a meter to the right of you, even though the character probably would've felt the temp rising with their skin)
But they are still one of the essentional tools of players' haptic perception of thermally unstable environment on emotional level. Whenever I'd swim closer to the dark cold waters of the abyss and see the thermometer bar going down and turning blue I'd feel the character's sense of being cold and alone (which works for the surprise realisation that they're most certainly not alone here!) or when it goes warmer and warmer I'll immediately stop to look around for a hot spot or any other reason for the bar going orange-red.
From aesthetical point I think the latest iteration of HUD thermometer worked fine and not out of place from the rest of the elements
13140CA967A26A01E7BF57AB34AADBEED34B200E
1A96A4096918DD9AAE98FFBAB60E5631982D9325
The only technical point i can see in the last image - they're not showing room temperature inside Cyclops/bases, but I wouldn't mind if that was left as is.

Most importantly - these thermometers are OPTIONAL and whoever wants to wear them - allow them to build and wear one.

When, for example, software is using sound cues to help the blind people navigate through it - it's the same logic that should be used when helping the players with reading their surroundings on as many levels of perception as possible.
Or maybe I'm the only one who thinks of a simple thermometer that way.

Comments