You're stronger than a Seamoth?

project_demonproject_demon Join Date: 2003-07-12 Member: 18103Members
Playing Subnautica, having a blast, was able to build my first vehicle, the Seamoth. So i start driving around and at some point i get a "quest" where i need to go deep like ~500m, now the Seamoth's limit is 200m. But i really wanted to see what happens when i go way deeper than it supports. So i saved my game, and dove down, i reached maybe ~300-400m i don't recall and then the Seamoth broke under pressure.

To my surprise i was unharmed, and i wasn't taking any damage at all from being that deep. Is this a bug? it just doesn't make sense to me that I'm able to sustain much more pressure than a vehicle ("submarine") built out of titanium.

So long story short i was able to get what i went down there for, i completed the quest, even thought i died after (drowned), i re-spawned in my pod with the quest completed... I felt like i cheated the game to be honest.

EDIT: I'm not suggesting to make the game more realistic, I was more bothered by the fact that my objective remained completed when i re-spawned, even though i died shortly after accomplishing it. So i didn't really lose much besides some easily replaceable materials, yet i went and accomplished an objective somewhere that i shouldn't have been able to reach at that point in the game.

Comments

• IntotheVoidIntotheVoid Join Date: 2018-01-30 Member: 236221Members
    As far as i know pressure can't kill you.
  • project_demonproject_demon Join Date: 2003-07-12 Member: 18103Members
    As far as i know pressure can't kill you.

that's a bummer, in that case when you complete an objective and die within the next ~2 minutes, that objective should go back to being uncompleted when you re-spawn.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    IRL, the human body can actually survive incredible depths. According to this wikipedia article on deep diving, the record is 534 meter in the ocean, and 700 meters in a test chamber.

Submarines have an air pocket inside that they have to prevent from being crushed which limits their depth.

To be fair, the game does take a lot of liberties with this (these divers had to use special breathing mixtures and diving techniques and still have a high risk for blacking out), but it isn't as far fetched as it might seem at first glance.
    edited February 2018
    gamer1000k wrote: »
    IRL, the human body can actually survive incredible depths. According to this wikipedia article on deep diving, the record is 534 meter in the ocean, and 700 meters in a test chamber.

Submarines have an air pocket inside that they have to prevent from being crushed which limits their depth.

To be fair, the game does take a lot of liberties with this (these divers had to use special breathing mixtures and diving techniques and still have a high risk for blacking out), but it isn't as far fetched as it might seem at first glance.

It doesn't make sense that a Seamoth can only handle 200m of depth, while you are able to handle 500+ no problem. The numbers are way off. The article you linked, those deep dives require an Atmospheric diving suit.

The progress i made on that quest should have reset when i drowned 30 seconds later, it's straight up exploiting the game. Of course i didn't do it on purpose when i was trying it out.
  • ReaperWranglerReaperWrangler Canada Join Date: 2018-02-04 Member: 236773Members
    Bare in mind that Subnautica also doesn't factor decompression sickness. Isn't it fun denying physics by swimming down to 700 metres and going right back up perfectly fine? "meanwhile in reality, goes down to 700 metres (not actually possible) and spends a couple hours decompressing on the way back up" Doesn't matter though, this game is awesome. No one would play if you had to decompress after every single dive down.
    Bare in mind that Subnautica also doesn't factor decompression sickness. Isn't it fun denying physics by swimming down to 700 metres and going right back up perfectly fine? "meanwhile in reality, goes down to 700 metres (not actually possible) and spends a couple hours decompressing on the way back up" Doesn't matter though, this game is awesome. No one would play if you had to decompress after every single dive down.

Strawman argument.

Read what i said again.

It doesn't make sense that a Seamoth can only handle 200m of depth, while you are able to handle 500+ no problem. The numbers are way off.

The progress i made on that quest should have reset when i drowned 30 seconds later, it's straight up exploiting the game. Of course i didn't do it on purpose when i was trying it out.

I do agree that the player should have some dive suit/air tank progression that enables them to go deeper with the player taking damage if they dive too deep without the correct equipment. Dives in the ILZ/ALZ should require the Prawn. The 200m starting limit for the Seamoth is actually reasonable if you think about it, even at that relatively shallow depth you're still looking at 20 atmospheres or 300 psi.

Right now death resets the player inventory to the last time it was secured and teleports the player back to a lifepod/base/cyclops (same effect as the warpme console command). It doesn't actually change the state of the game world, so yes you can retain quest progress (opening doors and such) and lose important game items (tablets) since you picked them up so they're no longer at their original location, but you died so they were deleted from your inventory (so you have to waste more precious resources to craft more).

A better solution would have been to have a checkpoint save that is reloaded instead of only saving the inventory state which causes the situation you described (and the potential loss of critical items).
    @gamer1000k agreed, i really thought this was a bug when i experienced it because it really kinda broke the immersion for me, even more so when my "quest" remained completed even though i died shortly after completing it.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members

It doesn't make sense that a Seamoth can only handle 200m of depth, while you are able to handle 500+ no problem. The numbers are way off. The article you linked, those deep dives require an Atmospheric diving suit.

Well you can later upgrade it to handle deeper areas but as others have said it can be an upcoming feature in a future expansion also just so you know you do have a suit on you that is made in what appears to be 2070? So how far the technology could have went regarding diving equipment do you think
    adel_50 wrote: »
    ...also just so you know you do have a suit on you that is made in what appears to be 2070? So how far the technology could have went regarding diving equipment do you think

I understand, think about this for a bit, would it make sense that you, wearing that suit, are able to dive MUCH deeper than a vehicle built to explore the oceans? Of course not. Yes technology advances, but in a logical way, so if your small seemingly simple suit allows you to dive at such depths, then think how deep you can (should be able to) dive in a vehicle built for sea exploration...

Also, fyi you can take the suit off, like have no mask, no fins, no gloves, etc. and still you would take no damage from being at such depths...
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    You should re-read the linked article. There is a table in the bottom, @gamer1000k is talking about Comex Hydra 8 and Hydra X, not about the ADS suit.

The problem with subs is that the pressure inside the sub does not match the pressure outside, when outer shell can't hold any longer the sub collapses. The human body is more malleable and the pressure inside the lungs equalize with exterior pressure.
    Check the free diving record.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    Real world physics always suffer from gameplay. If Subnautica wanted to do it properly, then we would have to wait for a minute or two at specific depths to deal with the Nitrogen in our system and have tanks that last at least 45 minutes instead of 45 seconds. Although, it would make pipes far more useful if Subnautica was more realistic.
    edited February 2018
    @Maalteromm ya i saw the free diving records, they are indeed impressive, however i was referring to what he said "the record is 534 meter in the ocean, and 700 meters in a test chamber." the former is with an ADS suit, and the latter is in a controlled environment where they slowly increased the pressure over a period of ~2 weeks.

@starkaos im not suggesting to make the game realistic, it just felt that the numbers were off. In fact what really bothered me is the fact that my objective did not reset when i re-spawned even though I died shortly after accomplishing it. Which means ya the game punished me for going where i shouldn't have been able to go, yet at the same time not really because my objective remained completed after i re-spawned, so what did i really lose? just a few easily replaced materials.
    @Maalteromm ya i saw the free diving records, they are indeed impressive, however i was referring to what he said "the record is 534 meter in the ocean, and 700 meters in a test chamber." the former is with an ADS suit, and the latter is in a controlled environment where they slowly increased the pressure over a period of ~2 weeks.

@starkaos im not suggesting to make the game realistic, it just felt that the numbers were off. In fact what really bothered me is the fact that my objective did not reset when i re-spawned even though I died shortly after accomplishing it. Which means ya the game punished me for going where i shouldn't have been able to go, yet at the same time not really because my objective remained completed after i re-spawned, so what did i really lose? just a few easily replaced materials.

I'm starting to suspect you're a troll. Did you check the table I talked about on the link provided by @gamer1000k ??
    The ADS is rated at 610m, the comex hydra 8 is 534. In doubt, search for comex hydra, which is saturation dive. Unlike the ADS which is a sub (like the PRAWN) and operates with internal pressure of 1atm.
    Maalteromm wrote: »

I'm starting to suspect you're a troll. Did you check the table I talked about on the link provided by @gamer1000k ??
    The ADS is rated at 610m, the comex hydra 8 is 534. In doubt, search for comex hydra, which is saturation dive. Unlike the ADS which is a sub (like the PRAWN) and operates with internal pressure of 1atm.

im not sure we're talking about the same thing here, did you read my response in the quote above? im not sure what you are trying to say...
    Anyways this is starting to derail a bit, i updated my original post as to what really bothered me and prompted me to think it might have been a bug.
  • Hammy2211Hammy2211 Join Date: 2016-10-18 Member: 223218Members
    As a side note I'd like to point out that the Seamoth isn't designed solely for use in ocean environments. Its thrusters are also designed to provide propulsion in space. They're meant more as a multi-use vehicle to facilitate easier exploration than a highly specialized submersible. Extreme pressures are more the PRAWN's niche. Sure, the Seamoth can reach a decent depth, especially with upgrades, but that's not their sole purpose.

As for the issue of humans, well let's put it this way. Our bodies are composed largely of water. Water is not a particularly compressible substance. As such, our actual flesh holds up pretty well under pressure. The main limits on how deep humans can dive are linked to the parts of our body that are particularly affected by pressure. Namely the sacks of air that our our lungs, and the dissolved gases in our blood.

As for the whole "the objective was still completed" deal...well, think of it this way. If this was real life...you wouldn't exactly be respawning in the lifepod after the fact.
    edited February 2018
    Hammy2211 wrote: »
    As for the whole "the objective was still completed" deal...well, think of it this way. If this was real life...you wouldn't exactly be respawning in the lifepod after the fact.

I don't understand why I keep getting comments that imply I was asking for the game to be realistic, I'm really not.

Now I do not know the reasoning behind losing just some inventory items upon death but not all progress. But it's turning into an easily abusable oversight from my experience so far.
    You can do things that you know will get you killed, but it doesn't really matter as you're able to keep your progress, be it for an objective or a scan or a certain discovery, etc.

Do you know why the devs chose this route? How come they didn't go with the tried and true way where you lose all unsaved progress?
    Hammy2211 wrote: »

I don't understand why I keep getting comments that imply I was asking for the game to be realistic, I'm really not.

Now I do not know the reasoning behind losing just some inventory items upon death but not all progress. But it's turning into an easily abusable oversight from my experience so far.
    You can do things that you know will get you killed, but it doesn't really matter as you're able to keep your progress, be it for an objective or a scan or a certain discovery, etc.

Do you know why the devs chose this route? How come they didn't go with the tried and true way where you lose all unsaved progress?

Yes, death isn't really punishing in this game, you only lose the items you last acquired since you left a base, your lifepod or a cyclops.

That's why I play hardcore. My first runs were survival though, but it was early access and most of the endgame content at the time wasn't available.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Not so much stronger as 'more poppable' I dunno, just their design choice I guess. They were aiming for the age 12 rating so maybe the respawn targeted towards younger gamers to make it easier. I have to say the most important things to me are those blueprints and keeping them after death without getting to a 'check point' is sorta odd, but I'm more than happy to take it. I'm content going hardcore if I'm after a bigger challenge though.
    edited February 2018
    I think the death penalty design is based on the game engine limitations/poor design choices. Right now save games are HUGE (over a gigabyte in some cases, which is why they don't have steam cloud enabled) and might have chosen this route instead of a checkpoint save to avoid eating up too much disk space.

There's been a Trello card for ages to rework the save system to produce much smaller save games, but that was one of the things that was pushed back beyond 1.0.
    ah thanks for the response guys, well let's hope they can find something in the middle between Survival mode and Hardcore mode. Cause at the moment i feel Survival mode is too forgiving and Hardcore mode is too unforgiving.
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    Reminds me of that guy speedrunning the game by diving, building unpowered one-unit habitats, then dying of O2 - but respawning at the same spot and moving on.
  • ssutcliffessutcliffe United States Join Date: 2016-11-01 Member: 223565Members
    200 meters is 600 feet. That is absolutely not shallow. And at 200m it would be dark all the time - that is the beginning of the twilight portion of the deep sea, where photosynthesis is not possible. The deepest dive ever made by anyone using scuba was 1000 feet (304 meters), and it took him over 15 hours to ascend to avoid the bends.

That wouldn't make a fun game though. The only way to make it remotely realistic is have made it so you *have* to be in the Prawn to be below 100m (300 feet). You'd also need airlocks as well as hatches to enter seabases.

I say that being able to dive anywhere without being squashed is fun. So what if we have titanium bones? In this case it seems understandable why they made these choices.

I believe that you lose the items on death that weren't in your inventory when you last entered a seabase or Cyclops. It used to say 'inventory saved' when you did that. Personally, since there is no map in the game, and you can spawn really far away from where you died, I don't mind you don't lose everything. It's frustrating enough when you spent 15 minutes trying to find two silver, finally get it - and then get killed on the way back to your lifepod or base...