Building a map in-game instead of 'Googling' it.

UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
Hi,

In the real world if you try to survive, the first things to do are: Get water. Get food. Get shelter.

Then comes the next duty. Building a map. Why is that?
It allows you to :
  • move somewhere else to improve your condition (as an option).
  • improve you situation in case you decide to stay there or if you're stuck there.
The only asset we have in Subnautica is the scanning room. But... Its range is limited (even with upgrades). It's polluting the screen with circles when too many of 'X' are found. The circles all have the same size so you can't really know the distances...

Using beacons is the same... Too many of them will flood the screen.

1/ It would be nice to be able to build the "database map" using a scanner on-board vehicles. It would be an upgrade we install on vehicle. Not easy to build. Not too hard though. The ability to take notes or to set markers on this map would be closer to reality. The scanner adds to the databases only the places the player visits.

2/ Upgrading range with mk2 and mk3 module. It's progressive, not for free, and kind of following the game logic.

3/ As the mapping range is reduced for vehicles (even with mk3). What if the player is able to build a mapping node that will be deployed in the interesting places? Maybe better; 2 nodes. This twin node would act as a scanning room but it will add to the database map.

It would be built with 2 distinct devices : 1 node for mapping and 1 node for networking.
It has to be in range of another node in order to function (It would be like a "Cyst chain").

So it would
  • NOT be free at all (say 10 of some common element and some cpu or wiring kit (whatever) ),
  • ensure a progressive deployment.
  • not be for finding items like the scanning room does. Only mapping the "terrain".

4/ Building a Database room (or big enough device) to store all the information. It would add to the bill a decent amount of material. So it's not that easy.

Why all that ? : I mean we gather a lot of technology in there and we find no mapping system ??? What if no mapping system was on the Aurora??? If that's true, no wonder the Aurora crashed... :) Hear the pilot : "Duuude there was no planet on my screen, that's why we crashed on that planet, duuude"...

Comments

• Uriel238Uriel238 Vacaville Join Date: 2016-12-02 Member: 224434Members
    My solution is to place anchor beacons (eventually bases go there) and then label beacons for nearby landmarks so they are marked as connected to the anchor beacon. Then it's easy to sort through the ping list and turn off everything distant and momentarily unimportant.

Yes, it gets tedious. Otherwise, you could create a map with pen and paper.
  • Hogan1974Hogan1974 Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236700Members
    I agree with this, but beacons can help you without a map, just build some and then place them around. But I would like to have a map
  • BomooBomoo Join Date: 2018-02-05 Member: 236923Members
    I mentioned this elsewhere, but The Long Dark implemented in-game mapping beautifully. No GPS, no immersion breaking and inconvenience from needing to alt-tab out and look at jpegs. It's great.
  • StormtempterStormtempter Join Date: 2018-02-02 Member: 236549Members
    I want in-game mapping so bad. Integrate it with the scanning room, drones, and player HUD chips.

I'm tired of the ocean being cluttered with dozens and dozens of beacons, lol.
  • BeckysFootSlaveBeckysFootSlave Germany Join Date: 2016-12-27 Member: 225560Members
    Good idea! Would also like to have that!

But does anyone know of: SubnauticaWatcher?
    Google it! (it's a mod for Subnautica placed on github)