Play as the Reaper

lordoffilinglordoffiling Join Date: 2017-08-10 Member: 232342Members
A few months back, one of the devs posted a tweet along the lines of: "What would you like to see in multiplayer Subnautica? Dream big and tell me."

I don't use Twitter, so I wasn't able to respond there. But, I had a fun idea in the shower this morning.

How about a four player mode where three players are survivors, attempting to build the rocket and escape... And one player plays as a Reaper Leviathan, and attempts to stop them?

Comments

• phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    edited January 2018
    So basically an underwater NS2 without guns XD

Seems like a fun idea for a random mod tho, made me smile lol
  • vpelletiervpelletier Join Date: 2018-01-10 Member: 234944Members
    So basically an underwater NS2 without guns XDl

Was thinking "Alien VS Predator 2". Played it at a tiny LAN party (I guess my age is showing there - that and I did not play NS2, only bits of NS1) once and it is firmly stuck in my memory. The difference between "that deadly sneaky thing patrolling where devs told it to" and "that same deadly sneaky think which is where it had never ever been before" is huge.

The balancing will certainly be tricky to avoid spawn-camping (or, rather, wreck-/databox-camping). Maybe having to periodically eat some type of fish which flees far (hundreds of meters) from any survivor ?
  • lordoffilinglordoffiling Join Date: 2017-08-10 Member: 232342Members
    vpelletier wrote: »
    So basically an underwater NS2 without guns XDl

Was thinking "Alien VS Predator 2". Played it at a tiny LAN party (I guess my age is showing there - that and I did not play NS2, only bits of NS1) once and it is firmly stuck in my memory. The difference between "that deadly sneaky thing patrolling where devs told it to" and "that same deadly sneaky think which is where it had never ever been before" is huge.

The balancing will certainly be tricky to avoid spawn-camping (or, rather, wreck-/databox-camping). Maybe having to periodically eat some type of fish which flees far (hundreds of meters) from any survivor ?

Well...

The Reaper would have to eat, just like the players. In fact I would imagine it would have to eat a *lot*, given how big it is. It wouldn't be able to camp anywhere very long.

Self-solving problem. :)
  • lordoffilinglordoffiling Join Date: 2017-08-10 Member: 232342Members

Sorta...

... yes.

... little amusing the idea exists already. :)

Having said that, the difference between that game and this one is clear! In one, you play as a shark. In this one, you'd play as a REAPER!
  • Delta_MeteorDelta_Meteor Michigan Join Date: 2018-01-23 Member: 235409Members
    Imagine playing with with a group of friends, and you talk to them on discord or something. The person playing as the reaper does its roar and your friends are just freaking out.
    I just find it funny that the players would be asking them to stop and the person playing the reaper just says no. Then just continues scaring them.
    I really like that idea of that as a multiplayer mode.