Terrain streaming still off (Build 59688)

GameSageGameSage Join Date: 2018-01-16 Member: 235086Members
So, the terrain streaming fix was fast enough to prevent out running it however, it was not a complete fix.

What happens now is this, based on gunning a seamoth at full speed for 2 minutes, stopping and looking around( exact stopping place is the gigantic wreck near the entrance to the jelly shroom caves).

+0 second from stopping - terrain looks very very rough. and is mostly detailless

+2 seconds - elevated objects, like the spires in the red grass areas will appear, but very rough, like a cube that was stretched vertically and and twisted 45 degrees. The base part of the ground startes getting its coloring

+3 seconds, the spires start to get more of their polygons

+5 seconds, the grass starts to appear

+6 seconds, ground has fully rendered, the spires detail has 75% of the way finished

+12 seconds, spires are fully rendered, grass has fully appeared, spires are rendered, some aurora assets have appeared but appear to be floating in random positions and orientations.

+15 seconds, that gigantic wreck has finally appeared.

The reason i used this place was because the streaming problem has more problems than just the visual component. When an object is still in an invisible state, it has no collision. The wreck is big enough it should stop a cyclops dead in its tracks. instead, by the time it had rendered, my cyclops was entirely immersed in the space the wreck occupies. When this happens, usually what the game would do is forcibly move the cyclops about 3 meters in whatever direction to unfuse the sub and the offending object. In this case, a single 3 meter hop was not going to do it so the game crashed. This resulted in the save becoming corrupted. not only did i lose the Prawn the sub was towing, but the blueprint was locked again, with the progress bar saying that i had scanned 5 out of 20 fragments needed to unlock the suit.

Anyway, that's what is happening now. the biggest complaint I had had with the streaming was fixed so there is no longer the issue of having to make a cyclops come up out of the ground.

Comments