New Experimental Game Dec-2017 58488 on

JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
I've just started a new Experimental game to test out the changes and current state of the game. I started today to be on 58488 and later from the beginning.

I'm looking forward to checking out the changes as well as getting the Achievements. However, I've also already noted a couple of items I'm not liking.

First, the Repair Tool blueprint still has no Battery as an input. This means that with enough Cave Sulphur it can be a way to make Batteries without using Copper. This really should be fixed.

(Don't know yet if the Battery recharge exploit has been fixed (using a Titanium with a discharged battery to fabricate a Scanner containing a charged Battery, which is then removed).)

Second, the Air Bladder has been changed and is now useless.

When not ready, the Air Bladder is now always deflated. So when it is readied, it will have to be inflated taking about 3 Oxygen. And the max rise speed is now much slower, around 4.5m/s or a bit less. It is now better to swim upwards, around 6.5m/s or a bit faster, or use the Seaglide once it is fabricated. Swimming up with an inflated Air Bladder readied still seems to be about the same speed as swimming up without anything readied, so there's no advantage to using the Air Bladder.

I was around 30-40m down with just about 10s of Oxygen. Previously, it was almost certain I could use the Air Bladder to get back to the surface, often without even passing out. This time I passed out around 16m down, which again with a deployed Air Bladder used to still get me to the surface without dying. This time, I died.

So the Air Bladder gets stashed and ignore for now.

Comments

• WiirlakWiirlak Blaton Join Date: 2017-05-26 Member: 230772Members
    I remember the air bladder took 8 sec to use from 50m.
    Why slowing it down ? It is really usefull until you get the seaglide.

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Air_Bladder
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    I just did a test on the version out today, Jan-2018 58529, with the initial Air Tank and no other Tanks in my inventory. Swimming up from 80m took about 13s, or around 6.2m/s. Using the Air Bladder, took about 21s to come up from 80m, which is rising at about 3.8m/s. Using the Air Bladder and swimming up took about 15s to come up from 80m, or about 5.3m/s. To time this I was using the oxygen counter itself, which only goes down in 3s steps, so there's a bit of coarseness to these values. But swimming up is definitely better that either swimming up or swimming up with the Air Bladder.
    Swimming up with the air bladder is less efficient than just swimming up !?
    There is something wrong here ..
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    Jacke wrote: »

Second, the Air Bladder has been changed and is now useless.

When not ready, the Air Bladder is now always deflated. So when it is readied, it will have to be inflated taking about 3 Oxygen. And the max rise speed is now much slower, around 4.5m/s or a bit less. It is now better to swim upwards, around 6.5m/s or a bit faster, or use the Seaglide once it is fabricated. Swimming up with an inflated Air Bladder readied still seems to be about the same speed as swimming up without anything readied, so there's no advantage to using the Air Bladder.

I was around 30-40m down with just about 10s of Oxygen. Previously, it was almost certain I could use the Air Bladder to get back to the surface, often without even passing out. This time I passed out around 16m down, which again with a deployed Air Bladder used to still get me to the surface without dying. This time, I died.

So the Air Bladder gets stashed and ignore for now.

I'm glad to see that the Air Bladder has finally been fixed. It may not be "as useful" now than before, at least it's more logical and realistic in its function. It used to drive me crazy that how it acted before. I could inflate the Air Bladder and rise to the surface, and then be unable to dive while active... reasonable right? But you could hit the hotkey to change to a different tool or just put the AB away... now you can dive again! The only problem with that is you still have a fully inflated Air Bladder attached to your hip that should be hindering your movement speed through water! :flushed:

Now I'm sure someone will point out "But brah, when it's inactive it's just stored in your hammerspace inventory!" And I "suppose" that could be true, although I feel the "Hotbar" shortcuts are a thing because the player is equipping tools to their suit - otherwise it doesn't make sense why we can grab tools on the fly like that. BUT even assuming hammerspace as a thing, an inflated AB is almost four times its dormant size. It should take up a 2x2 space in your inventory when inflated, due to the suddenly increased space it's taking. And like I compared it before to the Iron Boots in Legend of Zelda*, even if it's not "actively being used" it's still inflated somewhere... Your swimming speed should be reduced and you shouldn't be able to dive with it inflated... yet you always could. :frowning:

Now it seems they're taking a reactive approach to these illogical stances. So now that when you 'put away' the Air Bladder it automatically deflates, as the PDA realizes you're not using the device and it will hinder your movement, so it deflates the device for you. A helpful PDA and a logical game world... now that's two birds with one stone! :blush:

*If anyone is wondering, in LoZ: Twilight Princess Link has Iron Boots that both weigh him down immensely when underwater and lets him climb magnetic surfaces... both qualities which mysteriously disappear the moment Link removes the Boots. The respective movement qualities can't magically vanish on a whim despite the fact he is still carrying them on his person! Ugh, video game logic, amirite? :wink:
    I don't object to having the Air Bladder automatically deflate when unreadied, as that is realistic.

However, it is now completely useless as it doesn't improve surfacing speed. Alone, it pulls a player up slower than swimming up. Together with swimming up, the drag of having a readied item is more than it adds to the rise speed, again being slower than swimming up.

When I had the larger Tanks and the Rebreather, the Air Bladder made free diving down to 200m and more to explore easier and safer. Free diving now will be on a tighter clock. Will likely have to resort sooner to using the Seaglide for diving and ascending as well.
    Deflating magicaly the air bladder when not in your hand or hotbar, I completely agree - I did not even know that was a thing ..

What I don't agree is slowing the upward speed when you active it.
    Jacke wrote: »
    Don't know yet if the Battery recharge exploit has been fixed (using a Titanium with a discharged battery to fabricate a Scanner containing a charged Battery, which is then removed).
    Just tested this under version Jan-2018 58590. Fabricated a Scanner from a Titanium and a 69% Battery. This produced a 100% charged Scanner, so this Battery recharge exploit still exists.
    Went to Volcano Isle for the Sunbeam event. Discovered that Bulbo tree samples have been changed.

Bulbo tree samples used to be +3 Food +6 Water. They are now (version 58590) +6 Food +3 Water.

Bulbo tree samples used to be good for topping off Water before leaving a base/Cyclops. Now they aren't as good for that.
    Have the Seamoth and all tools except the ones needing the Modification Station. Indulged in my major out-of-sequence exploration and went to the Degassi Jellyshroom Cave Base for a lot of blueprints, especially the Multipurpose Room. Set up my 4-Biome Base (-249,-8,-477) and transferred from the base under Lifepod 5. Headed out towards Lifepod 17 and found a wreck about 300m. Got the Battery Charger from it so Batteries are now getting recharged. Would like the Moonpool to recharge the Seamoth. Planning to go to Lifepod 17, then 19, then the Floating Isle. Likely with local gathering swimouts in between to restock mats.

One good recent change. Open your inventory and hover your mouse over a Tank and you get told how many second of oxygen in it.