Do you remember your first meeting with the Reaper Leviathan?

LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
I certainly do. Paused the game, turned off the computer, and tried to calm down. It ate my Seamoth AND me at that time... Also made me change my underwear and armor. Still, I bet the Beast of Caerbannog could make VERY SHORT work of that thing...

So what inspired this thread? Well...

Comments

• SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited December 2017
  • Sea_KermanSea_Kerman Munbase Alpha Join Date: 2017-12-13 Member: 234409Members
    I was puttering around the edge of the trench behind the Aurora with my Seaglide, when two big red claws plant into the ground right in front of me. I immediately turn around and book it back to my pod.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    I don't remember the first time I came close to a Reaper. But I do remember the first time one almost grabbed me. While freeswimming with a Seaglide near the port bow of the Aurora, I saw it close out of the corner of my eye, instinctively turned away, and just as I saw one of its mandibles reaching around me from behind went to full speed on the Seaglide and got away.

A few games later, I was near the ridge at the port stern of the Aurora in my Seamoth. Got grabbed and shook by the Reaper there. When dropped, I booked it back over the ridge and into a gully to hide and repair.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    I always went into the aurora through the hole that used to lead to the drive room. So, when I went out the actual entrance...

yeah, wasn't expecting it.

I had heard of them, so it wasn't THAT scary, but i don't scare easily.

(just don't bring up the SCP wiki, ok?)
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited December 2017
    YES...,

It was a torrid affair that lasted for what seemed like hours and left me wanting...

... a whole lot more empty space between the outside of my Seamoth... and the Leviathan.

B)
  • CloudcraftCloudcraft Join Date: 2016-12-29 Member: 225691Members
    My first encounter with a Reaper was actually the time I was least intimidated since at the time I wasn't aware of how fast they could move. It was my second file after an update and I'd completely forgotten where most of the wrecks were and was stumbling around in completely the wrong area near the back of the aurora using only a Seaglide. I heard it before I saw it and actually got quite a bit of time to observe it before doing anything.

Eventually I decided I wanted the stuff on the floor beneath and hugged the rocks as I slipped past. Because it didn't seem to be attacking me I eventually got up the courage to move in closer and try scanning it. Trying to scan was an exercise in frustration and I eventually gave up since it was taking forever to scan, I was starting to realize just how fast it was and I noticed that it seemed to occasionally be taking swipes at me.

The second time was just as memorable. This time I was in a Seamoth outside the aurora and was curious what was underneath. I saw the Reaper a fair distance below me and figured I was safe given that the other one hadn't seemed interested until I got close. That's when I discovered that hearing a Reaper roar means you're in danger, that they're attracted to vehicles and that even a Seamoth couldn't outrun one. I spent the next two hours of gameplay gathering resources, base building and totally avoiding exploring any new areas.
  • CassadilCassadil Bluffton, Indiana Join Date: 2017-10-19 Member: 233616Members
    Hahaha! I don't remember if it was my first time but I do recall one scenario when I was first exploring a path I hadn't seen before. I had found this hole that led to the abyss(Not a bug. It was a naturally curved hole. Was when Xbox One had severely outdated content) but I thought it led to the Mushroom Biome. I needed a schematic from there and was having shite luck finding it.

Well, anyway, I took my Cyclops into the hole and started going down. Reached about 4 hundred depth or so and all I hear are roars. I literally screeched. And honestly I'm usually a chill person. But I'll be damned if the entire apartment complex didn't hear me. Hahaha I demanded my Roommate sit extra close to me. She obliged thank god. I have uh thalassophobia. Hell, I couldn't swim in Oblivion without keeping to the top(and do a certain quest that involves a giant slaughterfish in a cave). It was difficult finding our way out of the abyss. Had like 3 of them toying with the Cyclops for kicks. And their faces kept clipping into the Cyclops. That certainly wasn't fun.

I actually bought this game as sort of a scare game. Weird considering my phobia.

So I looove the game. And Reapers are certainly a nice little addition. Except when they travel in packs. Hell, remember when the lag was horrible? Ever had a Reaper spawn directly in front of you due to lag? Oh yeah. That's fun.

I hope they add more Leviathan class creatures to the game. Ghosties just arent cutting it. Though I dig their focus on stability.
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    edited December 2017
    My first encounter with a Reaper was amazing, and something I've never been able to duplicate. I was swimming out near the flipped pod north of the Aurora, when I heard a sound and looked down. I saw the reaper charging me directly from below and just barely managed to evade it. The Reaper proceeded to breach the surface and arc beautifully through the air above me before diving back into the depths.

I've tried several times since to bait a reaper into charging me at the surface again so I could get screenshots, but I've never managed it.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    Jarin wrote: »
    My first encounter with a Reaper was amazing, and something I've never been able to duplicate. I was swimming out near the flipped pod north of the Aurora, when I heard a sound and looked down. I saw the reaper charging me directly from below and just barely managed to evade it. The Reaper proceeded to breach the surface and arc beautifully through the air above me before diving back into the depths.

I've tried several times since to bait a reaper into charging me at the surface again so I could get screenshots, but I've never managed it.

Now that's something I have to try... No, I don't have a deathwish... :)
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Lonnehart wrote: »
    Jarin wrote: »

Now that's something I have to try... No, I don't have a deathwish... :)

I actually have a pic of that. Will post.