Can you draw NS2 maps from memory?

SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 1,529 Advanced user
Let's have some good holiday fun for the whole family to enjoy.

Rules:

1) No cheating, you must draw a map of an NS2 level from memory.

2) All rooms, names, and RT locations.

3) You might know it like the back of your hand in-game but in actuality you probably suck

I will start with NS2_veil.
d7q3m81lhry2.png

Score is rated on a scale of Alzheimer's out of 10. This one is a score of 2. Why did C-12 rotate? Where did the region of "clusterf**k" go?

RIP
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to play Natural Selection 2. The gameplay is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of military strategy and advanced mathematics you won't even win a single game. Theres also the game's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into the game. The maps and artwork draw heavily from Riddley Scott's Alien franchise, for instance. The players understand this stuff, they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depth of the game, to realise that it's not just great, that it also says something about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Natural Selection 2 truly ARE idiots. of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in the Marines' existential catchphrase "how do I get to be so good", which itself is a cryptic reference to the high degree of intelligence required to play the game as intended. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion when spectating a game. What fools... how I pity them. And, yes, by the way, i DO have a Fade tatoo. And no, you cannot see it. it's for the ladies' eyes only, and even then they have to demonstrate that they are within 50 hive skill points of my own (preferable lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid.
BeigeAlertVetinaripSyk0mAnBlrgKouji_SanSupaFredNintendowsNominous

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver Posts: 3,308 Advanced user
    edited December 6
    You know, I've got actual important stuff to do today...

Here's docking.
    JPEG_20171206_085959.jpg

Note how psychologically, Ball Court is bigger than Courtyard.
    formerly known as F0rdPrefect

Check out my new Balance Mod
    HandschuhKouji_San
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members Posts: 624 Advanced user
    hmmm... your ready room looks like a padded, comfy toilet from above!
    NO Cyril, when they're dead they're just hookers!
    Kouji_SanVetinariBeigeAlert
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands, Hoogezand Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue Posts: 14,947 Advanced user
    .trixX. wrote: »
    hmmm... your ready room looks like a padded, comfy toilet from above!

Hmm, I guess my subconsciousness wanted to make this thread ludicrously comfortable for sir POOPFACE 39.gif

Guardian of the "magic cookiejar" AdminModerator

Existence Unknown

Retired forum Admin, I mostly used a flamethrower tank for disputes... Mostly
    Retired EUPT Deputy | Moral Support | Squad 5 Blue
    102 1HP Skulk escapes and counting | Play the Latest Version of Booster Z-Frame
    YouTube NS2 Playlists: Unusual Selection | NS2 Stuff | NS2PT | NS2 Tuts

.trixX.SquishpokePOOPFACE
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 1,529 Advanced user
    edited December 6
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Score is rated on a scale of Alzheimer's out of 10.
    And how would I go about factoring the age of map and breaking your one rule to draw NS2 maps, into that equation, hmm?

That's a paddlin'.

@Vetinari Your map ain't showing up????

Here's NS2_Summit, with a far better score of 3.14159:
    mfm39l3mhuq1.png

Next, I plan on doing one of the new maps that I've forgotten the name of
    To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to play Natural Selection 2. The gameplay is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of military strategy and advanced mathematics you won't even win a single game. Theres also the game's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into the game. The maps and artwork draw heavily from Riddley Scott's Alien franchise, for instance. The players understand this stuff, they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depth of the game, to realise that it's not just great, that it also says something about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Natural Selection 2 truly ARE idiots. of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in the Marines' existential catchphrase "how do I get to be so good", which itself is a cryptic reference to the high degree of intelligence required to play the game as intended. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion when spectating a game. What fools... how I pity them. And, yes, by the way, i DO have a Fade tatoo. And no, you cannot see it. it's for the ladies' eyes only, and even then they have to demonstrate that they are within 50 hive skill points of my own (preferable lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid.
    Kouji_San
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester Posts: 802 Advanced user
    I challenge someone to draw eclipse with all the vents in it.
    return to zero
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands, Hoogezand Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue Posts: 14,947 Advanced user
    edited December 6
    Mephilles wrote: »
    I challenge someone to draw eclipse with all the vents in it.

Don't dare, just do it.

And I think you just volunteered @Mephilles :tongue:

@SquishpokePOOPFACE what will be the cost for this infraction?
    Post edited by Kouji_San on

Existence Unknown

• MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester Posts: 802 Advanced user
    edited December 6
    I have the layout in mind, just can't think of the room names and the vent layout on right side is hard
    return to zero
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 1,529 Advanced user
    Well you gotta choose between a switch or a oaken oar
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter Posts: 354 Advanced user
    edited December 7
    can't authenticate how accurate i am with the textures even but here's a picture top down view of co_faceoff from marine start :)
    ckwthkjs.uil.png
    IPB Image Constellation - a great source of income :> http://www.netplanet.co.nz/ns/
    Kouji_San
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter Posts: 354 Advanced user
    edited December 7
    ig]
    IPB Image Constellation - a great source of income :> http://www.netplanet.co.nz/ns/
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver Posts: 3,308 Advanced user

Score is rated on a scale of Alzheimer's out of 10.
    And how would I go about factoring the age of map and breaking your one rule to draw NS2 maps, into that equation, hmm?

That's a paddlin'.

@Vetinari Your map ain't showing up????

Here's NS2_Summit, with a far better score of 3.14159:
    mfm39l3mhuq1.png

Next, I plan on doing one of the new maps that I've forgotten the name of

I can see it

• HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members Posts: 222 Advanced user
    edited December 7
    I'm going with ns_hera, it was the map where I first played NS and was yelled at for going Gorge and placing a SC, then people started teaching me stuff and I had a blast. It is of course the original hera, I think...

Although, I feel like I've mixed up a lot of different versions... But WTF, this is what I've got and how I remember it when first playing 14 years ago \o/
    vxrhe9i9uyu5.jpg

Yeah, looks like you mixed up some versions. But it really brings up memories. Tbh, I think ns1 gave me a fucking precise 3D memory. In my mind I can still re-run almost all ns1 maps by memory - including all the ambushspots and corners... Now that I think about it ns_orbital_ansl ... ns_nothing, ns_tanith, ns_lost, (ns_stargate xD), ns_ayumi which are not in the ns2_mappool I can still remember almost all details...

or ns_eclipse was my absolute favorite... developed so many trick-moves as fade to blink like a flash at maximumspeed through the map without using energy and getting stuck through so many tight spaces (which was the hardest part of the fade)

hah, nostalgia :)
    Kouji_San
    edited December 7
    JPEG_20171206_085959.jpg
    <Error>
         <Code>AccessDenied</Code>
         <Message>Access denied.</Message>
         <Details>Anonymous users does not have storage.objects.get access to discord/attachments/160486055303315456/387875935539691520/JPEG_20171206_085959.jpg.</Details>
    </Error>

Is it only me?
    I think it is. Here's an imgur rehost for you:

https://i.imgur.com/nKNlmnp.jpg

SquishpokePOOPFACEantou
    edited December 7
    It's a chatroom with login sessions, so that stuff ain't set to public (anonymous) with default settings, I'd assume.

Why not use the upload function on the forums right here though :D

Existence Unknown

I had to transfer it from my phone to my PC, so I was lazy and just sent it through discord.

Two of you awesomed my post, so I assumed you could see it...

edited December 7
    Vetinari wrote: »
    I had to transfer it from my phone to my PC, so I was lazy and just sent it through discord.

Two of you awesomed my post, so I assumed you could see it...

I can't see it now, but when I login to Discord inside the browser I can see it, so it is tied to login session of the discord servers. However this also doesn't seem to be reliable :D

Existence Unknown

I was wondering when I'd see some graph paper
    Not graph paper, just a regular old notepad.

@Kouji_San I fucked up scaling and didn't even bother about room names but here you go
    48ec2161a6.png
    White line = walls
    Yellow lines = vents
    Red Lines = vent exits
    Red Dots = Techpoints
    Green Dots = RTs
    return to zero
    Kouji_SanVetinariSquishpokePOOPFACE
    It's still pretty damn recognizable and to get this look, you must've used DooM's cheat code "iddt" :tongue:

Existence Unknown

I did this at work. I use this software to design 2d sketches of rooms and how they flow on my map with a correct scale.
    return to zero
    Did you just use AUTOCAD? I haven't seen that program since 1994!
    edited December 8
    Did you just use AUTOCAD? I haven't seen that program since 1994!

Or DEU :D
    i6q8BvM.gif

Existence Unknown

SquishpokePOOPFACE