Close encounter with the leviathans (Minor Spoilers?)

RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
Okay, so not only was this nerve wracking but also just a mite frustrating.

So I was in my cyclops and moving through the Mountains with two goals in mind: Loot as much resources as I could, and find the Lost River/ILZ cave entrance to mark with a beacon for later. After cleaning out the local Wreck and heading east, I ran into one of the (many) reapers in the area. Despite almost brushing up against the sub several times, it did not attack - maybe because I was standing still. I only had 34% power.

I had the Shielding system, but this was where I made the grievous error of turning it on as I tried driving past. It turned hostile and attacked, but the shield waded it off... Then I notice my power's already dropped by 10%. I switch it off until I see the reaper circling back on the radar, and switch it back on just before it attacks. Maybe I hit it too soon, but I still took damage. Then I see another reaper in front of me, and also notice that my power's only at 4%. This was over the course of what, ten seconds maybe?

Not wanting my sub to get wrecked at 300m+ or worse, running out of power at that depth, I make my way to the surface. I'm almost there, at 1% power, and just as I break the surface my PDA says I've entered the "Dead Zone". Sure enough just as the sub returns beneath the surface I see the resident phantom spawn in front of me, so I back up real quick and thankfully it does not follow.

So I'm in the corner of the map, at 1% power, and have leviathans all around me. I hadn't realized I'd strayed that far, nor that the Shielding system drained power THAT quickly; I always imagined it was a semi-passive thing that'd only flare up when you took damage but it was eating power at an ungodly rate even when I wasn't being attacked.

My mission wasn't yet completed though, so after fixing the bit of damage the sub took and getting some food/water I get into my exosuit and head back down. After fighting off several reapers I find the cave and drop a beacon down, then head for my base back in the Crag Fields to grab some power cells. It was an admittedly exciting experience, and one I haven't had in a rather long time in the game!