Subnautica's very own Mammoth Cave

RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
I was just browsing around on another website when they made mention of a game that took inspiration from the real life Mammoth Caves, and it reminded me of my fascination of them when I was younger. So I went looking it up again and was in awe at how massive it was, far larger than I remembered it being. I mean, I was remembering it as little more than just a pretty big cave, not one that stretched out so far and to so many areas, and still being 'largely unknown'.

Accessible-Yellow_1.jpg

Looking at this image and reading about it made me think actually to Subnautica's own massive cave system, which while cropped down somewhat with the removals of three of its ILZ routes (and addition of one more, though it's less a route/corridor as it is a Lost River one), is still pretty darn big and still stretches out across the map and reaches into many portions of the game. While today there's two less surface-level entrances into the depths of those systems, it still made me think about, like the Mammoth Cave IRL, "How much more is there we just haven't found yet?". This also happens to be how new monsters are added into existing areas in the Monster Hunter games; it's explained off in-universe as just not having been noticed before or something similar.

So it got me thinking about Subnautica's current cave network, and when I began comparing it to the Mammoth Caves I began loving it all that much more, and I already loved them as they are! (As some folks may have guessed already~).
I even saw one part of it being dubbed The Lost River
lrc-rotator.jpg

Call me biased, but I think our Lost River is so much cooler than that one :smile:

We're still working towards a 1.0 release right now, and while I know The Arctic is still a thing being considered as a "Some time in the future maybe..." sort of thing, I'd love to see the cave network be expanded as well. There's a lot of surface areas that would be cool, like a honest and true abyssal seafloor surface biome that's 1,000+ meters, but there's a lot more that can be done with the caves too outside of the current ones.

There could be a whole separate set of Extended Universe story material that could be uncovered not pertaining to the main story even. Maybe there's a passage that delves close to or reaching the maximum depth of our subs even with those old depth upgrades that never made it into the game. There could also be a cave section that's sort of like the Lost River in appearance, but it'd be a former surface-biome that was forced underground somehow in the past....

There's a lot that can be done with the underground portions of Subnautica in the far future, what sort of mysteries lie in wait beneath the surface of not only the ocean waves, but the seafloor itself?

Comments

• RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    Our lost river is so much cooler. I mean, we have giant skeletons and leviathans!
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    And now I'm imagining the voiceless protagonist, launching from a soon-to-be Carar-free 4546B, going into suspended animation. Being woke years later and learning that 4546B has now been colonized and has a booming tourist industry.

When it all goes wrong. :)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Jacke wrote: »
    And now I'm imagining the voiceless protagonist, launching from a soon-to-be Carar-free 4546B, going into suspended animation. Being woke years later and learning that 4546B has now been colonized and has a booming tourist industry.

You tit, that is Aliens with a twist :D
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    More cave systems would be cool. There's quite a few, but a couple more would be cool. To solve the redundancy issues, maybe we could have one with a natural moon pool that opens to a cave filled with breathable air and unique plant and animal life.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    I'd rather them improve the current cave systems if possible.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited November 2017
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    I'd rather them improve the current cave systems if possible.

What did you have in mind with improving the current cave systems?
  • Funsauce32Funsauce32 Canada Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218339Members
    Id like to see a final little thing of story where we find out what happened to paul. maybe close by in the lost river entrance there could be a little air pocket, and in the air pocket a pda. maybe it could say something like "i had to go back and see if anyone is left" or something like that. maybe have some sort of special item left in the cave. some sort of reward for finding this cave.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    It'd be nice if the Jelly shroom cave had a unique resource or had a tiny tunnel leading to the lost river...

Similarly, it'd be nice if there was more of a point to the mountain caves or the dunes (they feel a bit neglected).
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    In my last game right a couple weeks ago, the Jelly Shroom Caves were my main source of Shale and Magnetite. Close enough that a base with a Scanner Room (I set it to Shale) over top of them will be within range of most of them, so it's not too hard. And there's the Degasi base and other stuff and frags down there too.
  • grimper12341grimper12341 Join Date: 2017-04-10 Member: 229539Members
    edited January 2018
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Jacke wrote: »

You tit, that is Aliens with a twist :D

Or Jurassic Park with a twist, or a combo of both.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited February 2018
    Avimimus wrote: »
    It'd be nice if the Jelly shroom cave had a unique resource or had a tiny tunnel leading to the lost river...

Similarly, it'd be nice if there was more of a point to the mountain caves or the dunes (they feel a bit neglected).

Well there used to be an entrance to the ILZ in the Dunes and it was close enough that it could have linked up with a Lost River junction, but they plopped a mundane meteor and a
    one-time-visit Cache over it. As for the minor cave systems still present, I guess you can get a Sea Crown and Cuddlefish Egg from them? That's good I guess?

The Mountains do have a LostRiver/ILZ entrance that's unmarked, but the cave systems proper don't really have any point to them besides Reaper-free collecting of resources. They're too small to really build much of note inside, so the thermal vents feel more for decoration than anything.

I'd love more entrances to the LR/ILZ peppered around the place for more freedom of exploration and movement, something that makes the Open World genre thrive, but we all know it's not gonna happen. Nothing short of a Map Editor of some sort being implemented would bring something like that into the game :/

Shame since I always thought it'd be cool to see what the old old old old draft of the Mushroom Forest - Lost River connection would have looked like, gets the imagination flowing it does. Similarly, how the Dunes Corridor would have looked like.
    If the Mountains - Lost River entrance is anything to go by, it likely wouldn't have been an ILZ Corridor but something that simply leads to one. Or just hooks up with the Lost RIver to the south. We'll never know now though *shrugs*