Experimental Subnautica Experiences

JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
I started a new Experimental game on Friday. Got to 37 minutes on release 56208 and then on Monday to 3h12m on 56268.

On my Friday play, I'd just done the first few steps, fished for food and water, made a Standard Tank and Fins, make a Knife, Scanner, and a Repair Tool and fixed Lifepod 5 and its Comm Relay. Everything I needed to move forward needed Silver. And I had a feeling of exhaustion. This is my 16th game in Subnautica since purchasing it in August 2016. Could have played more, but didn't.

Facing the need for Silver, on Monday I headed out looking for Sandstone in the Kelp Forests and in the Grassy Plateaus. Got enough for a High Capacity Tank and then a Habitat Builder. Got enough Lead for a Radiation Suit while looking for Silver. Soon after than I used the mats I'd stockpiled under Lifepod 5 in various large coral tubes to build my initial base. Also got the first 3 Sunbeam messages as well as those for Lifepods 3, 17, and 6; I've visited Lifepod 3. Just recently made a Seaglide.

Next up is a quick trip to Volcano Isle to get 2 Diamond for a Laser Cutter, then a trip to Lifepod 17 and the wreck near it. Already have a spare High Capacity Tank for deep diving and wreck exploration.

Crashfish seem more numerous, but not as bad as the worst I've seen in Experimental. I had to destroy some Sulphur Plants right under Lifepod 5 because of the hazard.

And now I'm wondering about new players. Most will have some survival game experience, so they'll know they have to find sources of food and water.

But that initial hump of needing Silver. And new players not knowing where to look for it. And hopefully they spend those first few precious Silver on the right items.

I worry that Silver in the current Experimental game is a bit too much of a challenge without external knowledge.

As well, I worry that the need for Lead in the Foundations is just wrong. Players faced with minimal Lead will likely just not build Foundations.

Comments

• BitCapsBitCaps North America Join Date: 2017-11-14 Member: 233983Members
    I just started a new play through and didn't have much trouble finding resources. The first struggle came with Gel plants until I learned I could harvest seeds from the one I had found and plant them to get more. Next was magnetite. I had to find plans for cyclops, prawn suit, drill arm and grappling arm so that I could go and mine magnetite.

Then my prawn suit got stuck in the landing bay (with me inside it). The vibrations of the stuck suit send the cyclops 187,000 M down into the planet. So I lost everything, including all my magnetite which I had placed in the cyclops cargo hold.

I think Gel sacks will pose a big problem for new players because they won't realize how incredibly rare and important they are and could pass by the only one they might ever see without gathering it.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    BitCaps wrote: »
    I just started a new play through and didn't have much trouble finding resources.
    Are you playing Stable or Experimental? I'm playing Experimental.

I don't worry about Gel Sacks, as I know where they are and after getting some, I create an Exterior Growbed to get as much as I want. However, you are quite correct, without that knowledge, they can be frustrating to find, as are some of the other mats.

However, the Scanner Room is now discovered very early and having one of those at each base can help immensely with find resources.

Right now, in my Experimental game, 6h in, I've got a small base under Lifepod 5 mostly to have lockers to store stuff and a couple of Plant Pots holding Bulbo Trees I got from Volcano Isle on my first trip there to get 2 Diamond for the Laser Cutter.

And I'm finding at this point, Quartz is harder to find than Silver. I want to make a 2nd High Capacity Tank for swapping in deep dives and wreck exploration, yet I only have 2 of the 4 Quartz I need for it.

I figure I'll need to go to Lifepod 17 and check out the wreck near it, as that's where I previously found Scanner Room frags. Won't be able to fully explore the wreck until I get that 2nd and perhaps a 3rd High Capacity Tank.

This playthrough is going differently. I have the Mobile Vehicle Bay unlocked, but haven't found a Seamoth frag at all. But I found enough Cyclop Engine frags to unlock it. As well, I explored the Precursor Gun Facility, including finding some Ion Cubes. And I activated the Volcano Isle Gate. And went through it, finding a Gate that must be in a cave on the Floating Isle.

Interesting. Alas, I now think damn Warpers are going to be more of problem now for me, as I've explored a Precursor Facility.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    Jacke wrote: »
    BitCaps wrote: »
    I just started a new play through and didn't have much trouble finding resources.

However, the Scanner Room is now discovered very early and having one of those at each base can help immensely with find resources.

This right here is the answer for any player that is either new or have returned to the game like me I played it way back when the explosion for the aroura was added and I didn't play it ever since then and Im saving it for 1.0 so when I return to the game what going with is a scanner room first as it will help me find what I used to find in another location. I think you know what I mean. And moreover they will constantly be changing stuff here and there so everything right now is not final until full release and I'm sure the devs are watching the forums so they are looking at it
    I've just thoroughly explored the wreck near Lifepod 17 as well as another near it. Going over the Grassy Plateau and into caves I've caught up on Quartz as well as restocked other mats. Lots of Battery Charger, Modification Station, and Seamoth frags, so I've now got all three. But only one Scanner Room frag and I need two more.
    I'm 11 hours in and I can't build a Beacon because I've not found the frags for it.

I've got the Seaglide, the Laser Cutter, the Propulsion Cannon, the Battery Charger, the Modification Station, and the Seamoth. I've got a small base under Lifepod 5 with all that and a couple of Bulbo Trees. I've got blueprints for the Repulsion Cannon and the Creature Decoy as well as 4 of the 9 frags for the Cyclops.

What I don't have is the Beacon. I can't find any frags for it. Just started on building my centre 4-biome base just north of the Grand Reef and I realised I don't have that vital tool.
    edited November 2017
    The Gel Sack trench near the Aurora no longer has Gel Sacks. Searched it and its caves thoroughly.

Searching the area beside the Aurora and back towards the Safe Shallows I found Beacon and Grav Trap frags, so I now have both of them unlocked.
    edited November 2017
    Went to the Jelly Shroom Cave Degassi Base. Scanned the Multipurpose Room, the Water Filtration Machine, and the Observatory, as well found frags for the Moonpool and the Stasis Rifle and a Databox with the Ultra High Capacity Tank blueprint. One of the 5 PDAs created a ping marker for the Deep Grand Reef Degassi Base.

Went back and completed the setup of my 4-Biome Base just north of the Grand Reef, with 2 MPRs and a Moonpool to recharge the Seamoth. The Water Filtration Machines need Aerogel, so they can't be built yet.

Then I went to Lifepod 19 (got the ping marker for the Floating Isle) and the wreck nearby. Scanned the 2nd frag for the Powercell Charger, but it needs Ruby and I don't need them until I get the Cyclops. That I've scanned 3 Bridge and 3 Engine frags, so I just need 3 Hull frags. Also found a Databox for the Reinforced Dive Suit.

Just short of 18 hours in this game. Next up is a trip to the Floating Isle and a dive down to Blood Kelp Trench for more mats.
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    Still no scanner room? I've been swimming in fragments for that for several builds now, so that's odd. Once you get it though, consider dropping little scanner bases in hard-to-search locales to help locate fragments and things. The new scanner room interface is wonderful.
    edited November 2017
    Jarin wrote: »
    Still no scanner room? I've been swimming in fragments for that for several builds now, so that's odd. Once you get it though, consider dropping little scanner bases in hard-to-search locales to help locate fragments and things. The new scanner room interface is wonderful.
    Started a new Experimental game a week ago and frags have been tighter for the Scanner Room. Found one at the wreck near Lifepod 17. Just found a few more at the Grand Reef wreck at -284,-250,-850, at least 3 so it would have been sufficient itself.

The new scrolling list in the Scanner Room makes it very useful now. Been out for Limestone primarily because I need Copper for Computer Chips for the Scanner Range mods and Seamoth mods as I also found a Databox for the Vehicle Modification Station earlier.

Note that the depth mods for the Seamoth and the PRAWN suit are now separate. Also what mods you can make is restricted by needing special minor mats.
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    Jacke wrote: »
    Note that the depth mods for the Seamoth and the PRAWN suit are now separate. Also what mods you can make is restricted by needing special minor mats.
    Yeah, I rather like the new recipe changes. It smooths the game progression a bit, meaning you don't skip entire upgrade tiers.
    edited November 2017
    On an earlier run to Volcano Isle, I went inside the Gun facility, then inside the mountain and found the Arch and activated it. Went through it and saw the other end was on the Floating Isle. Didn't do anything then but went back.

On my run to the Floating Isle, I explored all 3 Degasi bases, set up 2 Exterior Growbeds with food plants (each 8 Marblemelon, 2 Bulbo Trees, 1 Chinese Potato, 1 Lantern Tree), one of them near the cave to the Arch, then went through the Arch to the Volcano Isle Arch and set up another Exterior Growbed just outside its cave. Also went mat gathering, mostly Lithium, but found 2 Gel Sacks.

In the water, I started having issues with the Warper who hangs out on NW coast. So I overcame my fear of Warpers and started stalking him, giving him a few pokes with my Thermoblade. He warped out after I hit him twice. Did this a few times and figured it's not easy to kill them damn Warpers.

Then back to the Floating Isle and to my Seamoth to take the food plants back to my main base. On the way back, checked out Lifepod 7. And fought and dodged far too many Bonesharks.

Having Gel Sacks, I set up an Exterior Growbed of them. And having some Ruby, finally crafted Aerogel and the Seamoth Depth Module MK3.