Lead Deposits: Removed Or Hidden?

KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
So again I find myself short of lead (I know, I know...) because I'm an obsessive base builder. I figured I'd go farm some lead by digging up deposits, but it seems that they're all either gone or well-hidden.

Yes, I can read the wiki. I know where *it* says they are, but my eyes are unfortunately not matching with their sections.

So, I'm wanting to check with people in experimental who've seen them with their own eyes (or devs who want to confirm): have lead deposits been removed altogether as unnecessary? Or are they just reduced a ton?

If there *are* still lead deposits, where are they hiding? I've taken a wander of the Crash Zone and the Grassy Plains with no luck, and not yet gotten a scanner room that I could search with (because of the randomness).

I'll search stone by (sand)stone if I need to, but as it's really *only* lead I want right now, I'm hoping to narrow it down rather than fill my inventory with tons of gold I have no use for just now. :)

Comments

• JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    It's been a while since I've played my experimental game and likely a while before I get a chance to play Subnautica again. And I never got to using the PRAWN to drill Lead nodes. Got enough Lead from Sandstone Outcroppings (and earlier Limestone). Varying amounts of excess in the past. 'Fraid I can't help you.

Now that Lead is needed in more blueprints, it's kind of crazy it can now be in short supply depending on how you play the game. I know balancing resource sources and uses is complicated, but this is just too silly.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Kurasu wrote: »
    So again I find myself short of lead (I know, I know...) because I'm an obsessive base builder. I figured I'd go farm some lead by digging up deposits, but it seems that they're all either gone or well-hidden.

Yes, I can read the wiki. I know where *it* says they are, but my eyes are unfortunately not matching with their sections.

So, I'm wanting to check with people in experimental who've seen them with their own eyes (or devs who want to confirm): have lead deposits been removed altogether as unnecessary? Or are they just reduced a ton?

If there *are* still lead deposits, where are they hiding? I've taken a wander of the Crash Zone and the Grassy Plains with no luck, and not yet gotten a scanner room that I could search with (because of the randomness).

I'll search stone by (sand)stone if I need to, but as it's really *only* lead I want right now, I'm hoping to narrow it down rather than fill my inventory with tons of gold I have no use for just now. :)

Nope, they're gone. Which stinks, you've got to get all your lead from outcrops, which is a 1/5 chance. i circumnavigated the aurora in a prawn, and found jack squat. WOOP DE DANG DOO.
  • KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
    edited November 2017
    It's a bit frustrating. There are gold deposits. There are silver deposits. Both of those can be gathered as part of drilling, so if you are in need of a bunch of them, you *can* get them elsewhere (albeit probably going to have to do some heavy exploration).

Lead, while I understand people are overstocked in many cases, only seems to be available in sandstone right now, and so if you need it specifically, you need to dig around a whole lot. Which means that people who are going with nuclear power, in particular, are going to feel the pinch. So are people like me who enjoy building large bases, and want the platforms to be able to build up a place for their bases and/or plants and/or power generators to sit on. Building a platform on top of a smoker can hold a lot more thermal plants than just putting it on the ground, and while you can't put a relay to them (because they are considered 'powering a base' the moment they're on a platform), if you build your base close enough to the platform, it counts as a single base (thus giving you plenty of space for power).

And of course, lead is also needed for vehicles. And while one of each is all you technically *need*, trust me when I say you're probably going to *want* a couple extras in order to A) not have to constantly switch out mods, B ) to not have to walk huge distances between bases with your PRAWN suits and pray a scary beast doesn't eat it and by extension you, and C) not have to try and carry a suit *and* your Seamoth in the Cyclops just to be able to get past or to certain areas without having to leave one or the other behind just because you want to take the big sub.

I heavily agree that in the beginning, there were too many lead deposits. However, unless they have been moved and I just haven't found them (and I accept if that's the case!) I think removing *all* of them was probably overdoing it. Especially after you made lead a much bigger part of crafting things.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    Not only lead is missing but both sulfer and rubi deposits haven't been seen after the new recources textures have been updated so we might see them coming in the next few weeks hopefully I'm saving my play through until 1.0 and I'm sure I'll play an entirely different game when it's fully released
    Ruby, as far as I know, has *never* been in a drillable state. Neither has sulphur.

However, both sulphur and ruby exist as things you can just pick up off the ground as single items. You don't *have* to grind for them in RNG chunks of stone. Lead does not. That's the big difference. Lead, you have to find in sandstone. You can't just farm for lead chunks the way you can rubies, diamonds, lithium, and sulphur.
  • BioSpiritBioSpirit Join Date: 2016-11-23 Member: 224153Members
    I just started a new game with "experimental" build and I got a lot of lead and gold from sandstone while trying to find silver. I am always overstocked with lead and gold. Have to drop a lot of those items to a seafloor. There should be some kind of a garbage recycling system in the lifepod.
    BioSpirit wrote: »
    There should be some kind of a garbage recycling system in the lifepod.
    Once you scan the Trash Can or the Nuclear Waste Disposal, you can use the Habitat Builder to make them in your bases or on the Cyclops.

However, I never throw away raw mats. Find a low spot on the sea floor or some way to stockpile them. You never know what you might need as the game progresses and in future updates.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    From a neutron-absorption/malleability/reactivity perspective, lead and gold are generally equivalent. However, gold is much more conductive. So, depending on what it is doing in the reactor rod (most likely as a radiation shield or regulator), they should be interchangeable. (Of course this is moot without a recipe change).
    Ruby, as far as I know, has *never* been in a drillable state. Neither has sulphur.

However, both sulphur and ruby exist as things you can just pick up off the ground as single items. You don't *have* to grind for them in RNG chunks of stone. Lead does not. That's the big difference. Lead, you have to find in sandstone. You can't just farm for lead chunks the way you can rubies, diamonds, lithium, and sulphur.

There are pictures of their deposits on trello development page but haven't been added to the game yet i have a theory but it might be wrong.
    What if they are working on a new texture for lead this won't explain why the deposits have disappeared but with unity you never know what might happen
    There are pictures of a *lot* of things that were never added to the game. It doesn't mean they used to exist; just that they exist in the game's data. Big difference here!

As for them adding a different texture, even if they added a different texture to it, it would show up on scans, or would at least be visible. And none of it has been found or visible.

It has disappeared because they removed them and/or replaced them (mostly with titanium from what I'm seeing).
    There are pictures of a *lot* of things that were never added to the game. It doesn't mean they used to exist; just that they exist in the game's data. Big difference here!

As for them adding a different texture, even if they added a different texture to it, it would show up on scans, or would at least be visible. And none of it has been found or visible.

It has disappeared because they removed them and/or replaced them (mostly with titanium from what I'm seeing).

The best thing we can do is wait I guess which sucks
  • ssutcliffessutcliffe United States Join Date: 2016-11-01 Member: 223565Members
    It looks like large copper deposits are gone too, which is too bad. That makes copper an eternally needed commodity, though at least the limestone is common now.
    Large copper deposits are definitely still in the game. I found at least a couple as I wandered about. They're not in the usual places, but I found some in the bulb zone and/or mushrooms (as I remember).
    With improved Scanner Rooms (now with scrolling!) I think we might need more of them to find enough of certain mat deposits. Even in my last playthrough (Experimental, stopped beginning of October well into using the Seamoth), I left the Scanner Room at my initial base under Lifepod 5 and built a second one on my main base near the 4-biome boundaries just north of the Grand Reef. With 4 range extensions on both Scanner Rooms, they overlapped and I could set them for different resources.

I've just started a new Experimental Campaign last Friday. It's going slow as I've not a lot of time to play, but I'm interested in seeing what's changed.
    With the changes to bases and relays, lead has become even *more* of a valued commodity, since now you can make a platform and relay power from it to a main base. Which encourages the use of foundations to use for your thermal and solar plants as 'farms'. It's a *huge* game-changer power-wise to have a couple platforms around a smoker or at the water's surface.
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    All they gotta do is make it so that we can choose how power is controlled on those platforms. So that we can send power from that platform to a separate base. The system would be perfect.
    edited November 2017
    That is exactly what they did: you build relays from the platform to a separate base.

The platform still requires lead to make, though. That's my point. :P
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    So if I have a relay on the farm platform, and put a relay on my bases platform. It understands to send to that.
    Yep. Exactly. As long as your farm platform isn't attached to a base.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »
    So if I have a relay on the farm platform, and put a relay on my bases platform. It understands to send to that.

In case you may have misunderstood: Relays have a limited range, and you will generally need multiple relays between power source and base. It doesn't "understand" anything, it just sends to the first thing it finds within range. You won't need a relay on the base platform, since the power would be able to reach the base anyway. (The first relay needs to be fairly close to power source, later relays are something like 100m apart; you can tell when you go to build them.)
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Oh yeah I used all the lead deposits because my pencils ran out of graphite
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited November 2017
    Oh yeah I used all the lead deposits because my pencils ran out of graphite

5qck23svpnx9.gif