The Pink Face Of Fury (Trying To Float A Reaper)

KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
This is one's last moments with experimenting with what happens when you try to stick floaters to a Reaper Leviathan.

Note: yes. All those are actually attached to it. It's still not floating away. :) I'm not sure there *are* enough you can stick to one to levitate it, but I'm curious to try (although I'll need more floaters and more healthkits both....)

3zb7cx3a6l5v.jpg

Comments

• AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    Reaper too cool for floating
  • KlinnKlinn Lost in a cave Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214022Members
    This should be a Steam Achievement for the game's final release. :)

Your next task is attach enough floaters to a reefback to bring it up to the surface.

Subnautica-Reefback-Safe-Shallows01-Medium.jpg

(this was shot during a glitch in an experimental version long ago)
  • KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
    Reefbacks are easy, though! They don't try to eat you as you stick floaters to them. ;)

.... admittedly, I wonder how many it would take. I 'only' have a stack of 12 at the moment. Haven't been able to find more yet (I was hoping to fill a locker or two).
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited October 2017
    Kurasu wrote: »
    Reefbacks are easy, though! They don't try to eat you as you stick floaters to them. ;)

.... admittedly, I wonder how many it would take. I 'only' have a stack of 12 at the moment. Haven't been able to find more yet (I was hoping to fill a locker or two).

Couldn't you use the console command "ITEM FLOATER 48" to fill up an empty inventory with Floaters? I mean, I applaud you good sir by harvesting the world and not resorting to "cheap" methods... but this is FOR SCIENCE! The public interest is too strong to let this question go unanswered! :blush:

Also incidentally, if you are using console commands at this point, you could use INVISIBLE or NODAMAGE to mitigate health loss or death in the pursuit OF SCIENCE! (I mean, why not?) :wink:
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »

Couldn't you use the console command "ITEM FLOATER 48" to fill up an empty inventory with Floaters? I mean, I applaud you good sir by harvesting the world and not resorting to "cheap" methods... but this is FOR SCIENCE! The public interest is too strong to let this question go unanswered! :blush:

Also incidentally, if you are using console commands at this point, you could use INVISIBLE or NODAMAGE to mitigate health loss or death in the pursuit OF SCIENCE! (I mean, why not?) :wink:

Or you could do "spawn floater 1000"... that oughta do it.
    edited October 2017
    But.... but.... that would be *cheating*!

..... I may consider doing it if I can't scrounge up enough of them, however. Although dammit, it's not as much fun if I'm 'nodamage'. I'd rather play 'juggle the health kits and cry pitifully'. ;)
    I have tested it using the Propulsion Rifle.

No shortcuts here: if you use them as ammo, that's all they are. They hit and do damage, but they don't actually stick to the reaper.

So it looks as if I have to do this by hand. *rolls up his sleeves* I'm gonna need me some more healthkits. Because I may spawn some more floaters, but I'll be damned if I do this with no damage on. ;)
    So after managing several more times to get a good number stuck to him without visible effect, I decided that I was going to go all out. Alternated between 'item floater' and some first aid kits (and a little dodging). Managed to 'battle' him until nightfall and stuck more than 20 onto him. Even after being completely freckled, absolutely no sign of impairment other than maybe a *little* slowing down. Lost him in the darkness.

Waited until daylight so I could continue the battle.

He respawned without his faceful of floaters. :( So I would have had to start aaaaaaaall over.

One thing I can say for sure, though: I'm not sure if there's a break point! Because he was *covered*, and still not impaired!

8ynh4lf7gg49.jpg

This isn't even at 'peak float', and you can see he's quite.... freckled!
    Also, just for the record, it takes nearly 100 floaters to get a reefback dragged to the surface. ..... although they move so slowly that it's impossible to tell they're floating until you go to surface for air and realize that you basically just have to stand up.

4mwilt96ass4.jpg
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    How'd you get them to stick on the reaper? I tried it, and they just bounced off. Are you in stable?
    edited October 2017
    @kingkuma Experimental.

You basically get right in their face and mash it into them, while madly dodging to the side or diving down. Their hitbox is basically just surrounding their head and front end, so if you're lucky you can get it when you're a bit off to the side, but most of the hits are right when he's trying to take a bite out of you. The ones that look like they're on his sides are actually either on his face (the extended hitbox) or his fins.

The first tries (the no-cheats with a max of eight-ten floaters stuck on) took about eight first aid kits (two kits after every hit). The second one I wouldn't even want to count, but I got determined to do it so kept tossing a couple into my inventory every breathing space I got.
    @kingkuma Experimental.

You basically get right in their face and mash it into them, while madly dodging to the side or diving down. Their hitbox is basically just surrounding their head and front end, so if you're lucky you can get it when you're a bit off to the side, but most of the hits are right when he's trying to take a bite out of you. The ones that look like they're on his sides are actually either on his face (the extended hitbox) or his fins.

The first tries (the no-cheats with a max of eight-ten floaters stuck on) took about eight first aid kits (two kits after every hit). The second one I wouldn't even want to count, but I got determined to do it so kept tossing a couple into my inventory every breathing space I got.

Yeah, I was behind their head, near their arm things. They hit, made the stick noise, released a little blood, then bounced off and floated away. Apparently, floaters can bite you now. about 5% hp per hit with reinforced dive suit.
    kingkuma wrote: »
    @kingkuma Experimental.

Yeah, I was behind their head, near their arm things. They hit, made the stick noise, released a little blood, then bounced off and floated away. Apparently, floaters can bite you now. about 5% hp per hit with reinforced dive suit.

They always could, if you weren't careful about where you were going. If they weren't attached to anything, they'd attach to you, doing damage. I just grabbed them with some space (or yanked them off rocks).

Apparently the damage they do to reapers is pretty miniscule. They are doing some, as there's blood when you stick them on, but it's a tiny amount. Maybe if I could keep it going even after dark (I wonder if I can get a light source in the area so I can keep going after dark; trying to fight a reaper in the dark is a recipe for death).