O' Crash Fish, where are thou? [55058]

garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
I started a new game tonight in [55058] and haven't seen or heard a Crash Fish yet. I found the materials to make a Habitat Builder, constructed an X-corridor and then made my own radio. I'm listening to the signals on my own radio but still haven't repaired anything in Life Pod 5. It's really funny how it goes. One game, I'm finding Crash Fish all over the place and making Repair Tools left and right for the free batteries. This game, I haven't found a Crash Fish yet. Hopefully, I'll find one on the way to LIfe Pod 17. I even found a cave with a good bit of Quartz--enough to use 4 for the High Cap tank, 2 solar panels, and 2 hatches for my X-Corridor. But there weren't any Crash Fish there either. Again, it's strange how it goes....

Comments

• Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    I just went into a new game and found a couple, but they were pretty hard to find and were only in a couple caves.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    If I make it to the Floating Island and still haven't found one, I'll cheat one in and then file a bug report.. I've been swimming like mad through every cave I could find and haven't heard or seen one. If you've found some, I'm assuming you are playing a game on an older version.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    I started it on the newest experimental. They were only in two small caves that I found after a while of searching, and were still missing from every other cave in the game.
    edited October 2017
    I finally found one. But it was a serious amount of work. Last Saturday, there was so much Cave Sulfur that I made FIVE repair tools for the free batteries. Now, I think they want WAY too far in the opposite direction. I can make a repair tool. But I absolutely dread searching for more Cave Sulfur to make the Laser Cutter.

I think there is something seriously wrong with the game if I'm desperately searching for Cave Sulfur AFTER building the Seamoth and AFTER taking the Seamoth out exploring until it is falling apart at the seams and needs repair. It goes without saying I made my own radio because I couldn't repair the one in the Life Pod. I assume a new player wouldn't know how to craft a radio and would just be stuck.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited October 2017
    I was commenting about this the day They put out the "Lesser Update".

Apparently, the Crashfish misread the office memo and thought it meant it was time to go on vacation.

They are very scarce in the current STABLE version as well.
    But there are a few that stayed behind, I ended up finding several in the deeper caves along the edge of the Shallows and the Redgrass Plateaus.
    B)
  • KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
    edited October 2017
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    They are very scarce in the current STABLE version as well.

Since *when*? I've been finding more crashfish in the current stable version than I found in the last one. I have at least 7 cave sulphur and it's only day 3. Friggin' things are *everywhere*. :)

I can't speak for the experimental, as I'm presently only playing the stable, but 'very scarce' is not remotely the word I'd use for them.

In fact, right after typing this, I exited my pod, went into a cave to collect some quartz, and guess what? Yep. Three Crashfish. :D
  • KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
    An add on to the above.

I started a game on the most recent experimental (55058).

I swam out looking for shards for a bug report.

I went into a cave to check something.

Three crashfish, one after the other. Sulphur in each of the plants.

Went into the cave directly underneath my pod just to test it out.

Two crashfish, back to back.

..... I have to assume that they have either fixed this, or you're looking in *way* different caves than I am! o.O
    edited October 2017
    Or, just RNG.

Some folks will say they can't find the Mobile Vehicle Bay fragments or Propulsion Cannon. But in every game I've ever played I always find 12-20 fragments of each. :)

• Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    Yeah. I saw 2 crash fish after the last experimental update. The cave directly below lifepod 5.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »
    Yeah. I saw 2 crash fish after the last experimental update. The cave directly below lifepod 5.

Isn't lifepod 5 randomly placed? Or is that no longer a thing?
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited October 2017
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »

Isn't lifepod 5 randomly placed? Or is that no longer a thing?

It was in three different places in the last three games I started.

So my guess would be YES.
    B)
    I agree. In my most recent game, it is placed REALLY close to a thermal vent. When it is placed next to the thermal vent, I think I skip 1/4 to 1/2 of the caves on that side and just swim the other direction--which is why I probably missed the Crash Fish.

In any event, they definitely reduced the number of Crash Fish by at least half compared to the game I started just a week ago. Swimming in the ocean during that game, I felt like an enemy bomber flying over hostile airspace getting shot at by Ack Ack from below.
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    garath wrote: »
    In any event, they definitely reduced the number of Crash Fish by at least half compared to the game I started just a week ago. Swimming in the ocean during that game, I felt like an enemy bomber flying over hostile airspace getting shot at by Ack Ack from below.

Wait, these are in the game? Oh boi, I will reinstall just to see

1cbjy6.jpg

• RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    They are definitely more scarce than they used to be. I'd found a dozen silver and copper by the time I ran into my first crashfish. I run into them occasionally, its about a 50/50 chance any given cave has them or not it seems about now.
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    Sounds like the RNG needs tuning, but that's no surprise. In one of the coral tunnels, I've consistently found two crashfish in exactly the same place over multiple games.

And yeah, Lifepod 5 can spawn in several different places in the Shallows. I don't know if there are specific points or it can spawn everywhere, but it definitely shows up in a different spot each game.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    Lifepod 5 spawns in random locations, but I think those locations must be set-- in my last test save, I spawned annoyingly close to a thermal geyser, and in the one before that, I was right above a Crashfish-inhabited cave entrance.
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    Never noticed Lifepod 5 spawns in a set radius. It all basically looks the same.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    wait you cant find them! like every single cave I go into has like 5 of them in it.
    wait you cant find them! like every single cave I go into has like 5 of them in it.

Vast difference between stable and experimental...