Better Map For Subnautica

reddirtgamerreddirtgamer Join Date: 2017-10-03 Member: 233375Members
Why not contain the map inside a Crater, that way the game feels natural instead of unnatural void that never ends? Instead of procedure generated which makes the game boring if you decide to explore further than usual. You can also come up with new things buried inside the walls of the crater, like alien seabase or experimental gene manipulation. Below 3,000 meters, you can start add new type of sea life that adapted to the crushing depths and maybe creatures even more massive than the most massive creature you have the game at the moment. It would also be interesting to find wrecks at the bottom of the ocean as well... from the alien race that manipulated the creatures on the planet to their own ends. In the future content, you could easily collapse the walls of the crater and expand outwards. Not only would players be wondering what is beyond the crater, it would pose a imposing feeling that you are cut off from the rest of the world.

ib3jlnwzn6g6.png

Comments

• SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    Interesting, but I think that the void serves its purpose just fine. Anyone that tries to enter it is almost instantly devoured by like 10 ghost leviathans.

I also like subnautica's playarea as it is. The map is colossal, and tripling the size from one end of the map to the other doesn't sound like a good idea. New areas could easily be tacked on to any side of the map without issue.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    I agree that we need something besides an endless void below the game world. The crater is one option, but it would also make the horizons much less enjoyable. A much simpler option would be just to have an endless barren procedurally generated seafloor. Not terribly interesting, but most of the deep ocean floor IRL is just silt and sand.

Maybe after a certain point there could be currents that push the player back into the game map (or some other barrier that works even in creative mode) since there's already issues with graphical glitches when the player gets too far out.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    @reddirtgamer
    I believe that was the original design, but it doesn't pose well with an open ocean game. Also it feels unnatural.

In the end you can build a rocket, so what could stop you from making a simple plane and explore outside the crater?

@gamer1000k
    Procedural seafloor is a nice idea and suggestions about it come and goes. Keep in mind that ocean basin around volcanoes on earth may linger between 5-6 km, so it can go much deeper than what we can explore in the game.

In my opinion the void should be slightly less steep, instead of that nearly vertical wall. So you could walk to your limit depth, with procedural resources spawning sparsely on it.
    Somewhere beyond an invisible line would start popping ghost leviathans, as currently.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    That map looks wwwaaayyyy toooo smmmaaaalllll. Also having the gun next the Aurora isn't smart. It just kinda spoils it a bit early don't you say? also the game is almost out. Changing the whole map would be dumb. Also most of the biomes wouldn't exist in this map!
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    edited October 2017
    Maalteromm wrote: »
    @reddirtgamer
    I believe that was the original design, but it doesn't pose well with an open ocean game. Also it feels unnatural.

In the end you can build a rocket, so what could stop you from making a simple plane and explore outside the crater?

In reality, this is because the devs have already said the game is pretty much finished and the only real content that's going to be added at launch is the rocket. But from a game standpoint-- why would Alterra send you plans for a plane? They're under the impression that they're rescuing a bunch of people from the Aurora by sending the rocket plans.

• reddirtgamerreddirtgamer Join Date: 2017-10-03 Member: 233375Members
    @reddirtgamer

In reality, this is because the devs have already said the game is pretty much finished and the only real content that's going to be added at launch is the rocket. But from a game standpoint-- why would Alterra send you plans for a plane? They're under the impression that they're rescuing a bunch of people from the Aurora by sending the rocket plans.

Actually it is much much larger than what you see in this map. The crater would be huge, basically remnants of a ancient asteroid that struck the planet.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    @baronvonsatan
    But from a game standpoint-- why would Alterra send you plans for a plane?

They don't need to. Imho, If you can build subs and rockets then you can build planes. Or at least something similar that will allow you to get over the mountains if you want to.
    Anyways, that's beside the point.

I just argued that stucking the character in a crater would degrade the immersion of an "ocean planet". It is quite simple really, if it is surround by mountains it is no longer an ocean, but a lake.

• RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    @reddirtgamer

Actually it is much much larger than what you see in this map. The crater would be huge, basically remnants of a ancient asteroid that struck the planet.

They already have one asteroid that struck the map - it was the excuse for permanently sealing up the Dunes - ILZ entrance. The explanation given for the map shape and the abyssal nothing beyond it was it was a giant volcano in the past, which I kinda hope is just a placeholder since it'd potentially limit post-1.0 biome additions in the future.

Then again some thinking and they could add pretty much anything as a "deeper than 700m+" surface biomes around the edge, so who knows.
  • bopobopo Join Date: 2017-10-10 Member: 233495Members
    I actually have an idea for the void I can't post anything at the moment but I will be posting something about the void once I can