Floating Solar Panels are the perfect power source for Subnautica! Updated with Trello Link

garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
This is one of my favorite new features in Subnautica. Floating Solar Panels!
8faneai6af75.jpg
0sv21bjrm5u0.jpg

Steps to reproduce:

1. Build a foundation.
2. Build some solar panels.
3. Deconstruct the foundation.
4. Voila!

:)

https://trello.com/c/VJFMiJ6r/4763-54602-floating-solar-panels-thanks-garath

Comments

• DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    IT'S MAGIC!!!
    BURN THE WITCH!!!!

B)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    IT'S MAGIC!!!
    BURN THE WITCH!!!!

B)

giphy.gif
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    IT'S MAGIC!!!
    BURN THE WITCH!!!!

B)

giphy.gif

SHE TURNED @DaveyNY INTO A NEWT!
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Can you build a foundation on PC?
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    What if they made solar panels that actually did float, they would have their limits but they would float to the top of sea and just bob there and you could use the power transfer things to bring power down to your base
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Avimimus wrote: »
    Can you build a foundation on PC?

I play on PC and can build foundations on PC. That's how I did this.

Just as a side note, foundations are only useful for two or three things:

1. External growbeds
    2. Place to park your Seamoth
    3. Place to build Solar Panels and then remove the Foundation to make floating Solar Panels...

Just be careful... In some versions of the game, removing the foundation also removes anything placed on the foundations--without refunding the materials used to construct those items. Oops!

• DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited October 2017
    4. They also add strength to your base.

And I am not a NEWT...
    abjk1oycj0yj.png

I am a newt...
    lnwmo3heidda.png

• garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members

That's just crazy talk! Using foundations to add strength to your base is a waste of perfectly good titanium and lead:

Foundation = +2 base integrity for 4 titanium (Is it now 3 titanium and 1 lead?)
    Reinforcement = +7 base integrity for 2 titanium + 1 lithium

They add so little strength to your base--especially for the mats cost--that I think mentioning them as anything more than temporary building locations for floating solar panels is just silly. :)

• Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    I always use them. I hate the look of the parts with just the feet.
    9oicz0kxzet0.jpg
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    garath wrote: »
    Foundation = +2 base integrity for 4 titanium (Is it now 3 titanium and 1 lead?)
    Foundation is 2 Titanium + 2 Lead in Experimental (no idea how much of the blueprint changes has gotten to Stable).

And I like the look of bases upon Foundations. And you can sometimes add in Foundations partly under existing base parts. Watch out though, as in the past I've not been able to remove the Foundations without removing what's on the Foundations. But now I'm wondering if that was disabled.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2017
    Skope wrote: »
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    IT'S MAGIC!!!
    BURN THE WITCH!!!!

B)

giphy.gif

SHE TURNED @DaveyNY INTO A NEWT!

I assume it got better @DaveyNY :trollface:
  • MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members
    I was really hoping for "floating solar panels" in the sense that the mobile vehicle bay floats. That would be really awesome.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    garath wrote: »

That's just crazy talk! Using foundations to add strength to your base is a waste of perfectly good titanium and lead:

They add so little strength to your base--especially for the mats cost--that I think mentioning them as anything more than temporary building locations for floating solar panels is just silly. :)

I usually use them for aesthetic purposes rather than for adding strength, since Reinforcements are far too cost-effective in comparison. &&

dawdf1go4sq4.jpg

It's off to the right. Unfortunately the only pic I have of the base with the foundation in it (no longer have the save file). I wanted to put my planter boxes by the window, but they refused to be placed on the ground (Guess it wasn't even enough?) but a quick foundation saved the day~ Also wow at the Moonpool actually aligning itself in a way I liked on the first try! Really wish we could rotate that thing ourselves :lol: