Mouse Issue : Linux (Mint) + WindowsVM + Synergy

PikumPikum Indiana, USA Join Date: 2014-05-18 Member: 196104Members
Making this forum post as a general note on an issue I had and then solved, in case anyone winds up here later searching for something similar
I communicated with IronHorse a little, as per suggestion of Keats. IronHorse suggested I make a post after I informed him I figured it out.

Background:
Decided to try running Windows in a VM instead of playing all of my games in Linux or using WINE
I'm using Synergy to share my KB/M between the host and the VM

Issue:
Mouse hits maximum X coordinates and the player's view stops spinning, as if hitting a wall.
Happens in both directions
Also sensitivity is so insanely high, that I had to set the DPI on my mouse to the lowest setting and set the in-game to < 0.5
It still felt a little choppy at those settings, small movements were exaggerated in game

Fix:
There was a setting I overlooked in Synergy that was disabled by default.
In Synergy, there's an option to use relative mouse movement (checkbox)
If this is enabled AND the user locks the mouse to that machine/screen, the game works as intended
I was missing doing both of these things. Had tried them each individually but not in tandem.

Note:
The sensitivity on my mouse is a little strange with this configuration.
Enabling both of these settings causes Windows to use its native configuration for mouse sensitivity instead of being overridden by Synergy (the host machine)
I had to tweak both my windows mouse settings and in-game sensitivity to get it closer to what I'm used to.

Note2:
I've seen a similar error to this when googling that refers to people running multi-monitor setups.
I had experienced this issue in the past, but usually a restart fixed the issue until I came across this one.

Minor Details of PC configuration
Setup (Host):
Mint 18.2
Running Synergy server
I don't think the hardware is relevant, but I can update this post later if it matters for someone.

Setup (Windows VM):
QEMU-KVM
Windows 10
passing through 6 cores (3 physical)
passing through 24G ram
passing through GTX 980
Running Synergy client

Conclusion:
Synergy works okay, but nothing beats native.. also not running the game in a VM is better than running it in VM.
If you're having fun, does it really matter?
Seems like my current performance issues beyond what i've listed here are related to the VM itself more than the game and more than using Synergy. Fair warning to anyone that decides to try it

Go Linux