Removing backwards key intentionally!

snacksy13snacksy13 Norway Join Date: 2017-03-10 Member: 228823Members
No, this is not a bug report. I purposely bind my backwards movment to some other key (i forgot), Purpose being so i can't move backwards.
I did this after reading this thread.
I realised that some marines players where jumping backwards and they where going as fast as a walking skulk.
They where jumping backwards and shooting, which i thought was a bit weird.

So i learned that this is a common tactic, which involves turning just before you land, then hold the left/right and NOT the backwards key. and then jump again.
since the backwards key slows you're movment down drasticly, From 5.2 walking forwards or moving left/right, or 6 running. all the way down to 2!

So i though, to hell with the backwards key! I'l remove it completely!
And so far it has been pretty good.
Here's what has happened, and what i realized
  1. Sometimes when i wanna aim on something (like a vent or a corner, which is pretty damn often) it is usual to slowly move backwards to get more distance between the alien and yourself.
    Which i can't do anymore
  2. I have realized i was using the backwards key to stop. so now i feel like i'm sliding everywhere, but i gotta kill bad habits so this is good
  3. sometimes in battle i click the S key. And nothing happens. And i just stand there. While a Onos comes running at me. :neutral: ,sucks, but hey, i'm learning! :smiley:
  4. Slowly learning the backwards jump maneuver, verry slowly. But practice makes perfect, so i just need to play more (which i can get behind)
  5. I think in general, just not using the backwards key is good, cause it means you move faster. which means more distance between aliens, and moving faster trough the map.
  6. pushing me/forcing me to learn new things that would otherwise take a lot longer to master

so. is this intended?

I don't think it is what the developers had in mind.
Maybe they should fix it. Who am i to judge. I just play the game.
And if everyone else is using this to get an unfair advantage, i have to do it to.
Or else they have an advantage, over me.

Comments

• NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    edited September 2017
    You're right, holding down backward is generally a bad idea if you predict you're about to be attacked or if you're in a bad position for an alien to close the distance easily. This is due to the slow movement speed as you mentioned as well as your extremely predictable direction of movement. The players you saw simply holding backward and jumping either have bad habits, were taken by surprise, or don't know techniques like strafe juking or proper backward strafe jumping as you mentioned.

By contrast, if you turn and strafe (or do a 180 and hold forward) in order to further the distance between the enemy or the closest entry of attack, it increases the chances of an alien missing his first bite or two if he attacks you by surprise. This is why I usually micro/stutter-strafe when I attack aliens and structures. It might mess up my accuracy more often than not, but it's a form of insurance against surprise attacks outside my FOV, whether I'm aware of them about to happen or not.

I still recommend binding backward to a key because it can be useful in situations like easily lining yourself up for a trick jump (i.e., West Junction to Overlook vent on Veil). The best argument I have for keeping backward bound is having to shoot at something from afar while being fairly certain I won't be immediately attacked. It lets me lazily back up in a room in order to maximize the distance from the closest points of entry (usually averaging the distance between me and those points while still being able to cover most of them) while landing all or most bullets into structures. This is usually when I'm attacking RTs and gorge tunnels, but it really applies to whenever I feel safe. Having to reload, build, or weld opens up the opportunity to strafe or strafe jump into the optimal position faster.

It's a great question and it's great that you're thinking about your tactical decisions on a micro level. For self-improvement, perhaps take into account the fact that holding backward is but a tiny part of your overall decisions towards becoming an effective or better grunt. Things like constantly checking the map for intel, choosing the length of your strafes, choosing when to jump strafe, seizing moments to play lazily (mechanically/physically, not mentally) in order to alleviate fatigue, etc. should all go through your mind as you play more. :)
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    well tbh I use the S key as alien regulary
  • snacksy13snacksy13 Norway Join Date: 2017-03-10 Member: 228823Members
    Mephilles wrote: »

hmm, i play aliens mostly. guess i just never have moved backwards as alien.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2017
    snacksy13 wrote: »

hmm, i play aliens mostly. guess i just never have moved backwards as alien.

For bouncy bits, probably true. But I find it hard to believe you never used it when you're maneuvering as a stealthy bastard on the ceiling, while keeping an eye on potential rines. Or bouncing around as spitting George, while defending a base :D
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    Well, backwards I still use probably for exos or onos, or situations while you shoot at a skulk in a vent where you cannot do a backwardsjump.
    But still without movementskills you can aquire, this game would be boring for me
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    even when I am biting a marine as skulk I sometimes use the S key to. I have noticed moving away from marines a bit helps alot to dodge shotgun shots on close range. Guess no marine ever expects the skulk to move away when he is in bite range.
  • KeatsKeats United States Join Date: 2014-11-04 Member: 199413Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    it'd be cool if there were per-team or per-lifeform bindings, so you could set S to kill on marines but set it to say "i'm bad" on aliens
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Keats wrote: »
    it'd be cool if there were per-team or per-lifeform bindings, so you could set S to kill on marines but set it to say "i'm bad" on aliens

Used to be easy in GoldSrc with aliases and cfg's, surely some lua can be slapped together as controls for Spark. Or are those files on the white list of protection?
    even when I am biting a marine as skulk I sometimes use the S key to. I have noticed moving away from marines a bit helps alot to dodge shotgun shots on close range. Guess no marine ever expects the skulk to move away when he is in bite range.

Yeah i got totally rekt by "Aim2Kill" guy. Totaly juked me
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    You could unbind backwards, and do
    bind S kill

so that way you'll be punished for your old habits.

i just did that...
    IT DID NOT GO WELL. HOW DO I UNBIND
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2017
    bind S kill

i just did that...

This is your life now. Don't mess up. Good luck :smile:

Edit: You guys! You are not supposed to awesome my posts. Last time this happened, I had to have some removed.
    edited September 2017
    bind S kill

i just did that...

mqdefault.jpg
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Never mind the maneuvers, just go straight at 'em!
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2017
    you can use the "clear_binding" command to remove a binding, in this case "clear_binding S"
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    edited September 2017
    The back key is more useful than the medpack key
    you can use the "clear_binding" command to remove a binding, in this case "clear_binding S"

What, "unbind x" was not fancy enuf there beige? :trollface:
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »

You gotta keep it original, fam! No sloppy copying from others!
    edited September 2017
    .trixX. wrote: »
    Kouji_San wrote: »

You gotta keep it original, fam! No sloppy copying from others!

imma-let-you-finish.jpg
    Imma let you finish, but GoldSrc has the best console commands of all time!
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members