What vids are you bingeing out on?

Quiet_BlowfishQuiet_Blowfish Join Date: 2017-09-11 Member: 232955Members
So many good TV drama series about these days. Just when I was sure everything was going down the gurgler, somehow the bar stays set pretty high in this area.

Of course, as a gamer, I'm a sucker for the epic action scifi & fantasy stuff (GOT, Vikings, Battlestar etc. ). And some eccentric stuff too (Carnivale, BBC's Utopia).
But I also like a lot of the good character-driven mainstream shows (Boardwalk Empire, The Wire, Mad Men, Masters of Sex)

Recently enjoyed a couple of seasons of Better Call Saul (the Breaking Bad spinoff) and I'm hanging for the third. Really great character development of this previously comic side-character. You can't help but feel for that putz.

Right now we've got the Handmaiden's Tale on free-to-air. Harrowing stuff, but I can't look away. It's like some kind of slow-motion gynaecological train wreck.

Also in here on TV is Ouro. Broadcast with zero promotion in wee hours, but it's turning out to be a little gem I reckon. It's set out of a modern day Brazilian frontier town. Morally ambiguous characters. Unpredictable but believable narratives.

Currently I'm waiting on appearance of a couple DVD sets. Can anyone recommend the sci-fi series The Expanse? I'm also thinking of chasing down a BBC series Gormenghast, based on that old gothic fantasy trilogy.

Cheers then

Comments

• glenn0510glenn0510 San Jose Join Date: 2017-09-25 Member: 233229Members
    I'm just wasting my time watching America's Got Talent and X Factor UK audition videos on Youtube.
  • Quiet_BlowfishQuiet_Blowfish Join Date: 2017-09-11 Member: 232955Members
    Ahggg, Reality is the enemy!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2017
    I saw this fairly decent and kinda obscure series called "the Strain"

The walking dead is a bit of a strange one for me, sometimes I like it sometimes I feel like they annoyingly dumb down the characters for the "scare factor", not a fan of that second bit...
    edited September 2017
    Hey there @Kouji_San,

Great, I thought this thread was dead (un-dead?).

Yeah I enjoyed The Strain. We got it here in OZ on free-to-air a couple of times.

If you want some higher-brow zombie TV ("Zombie have brain .... not eat brain") I can recommend the following series:

- Les Revenants (French, good, with subtitles though)
    - The Returned (US version, almost as good)
    - Glitch (Australian yarn, along similar lines but different story. It's on here now, seems OK)

None of 'em are really horror though, if that's what you're after.

BTW, have you seen the Brit movie comedy/horror farce 'Sean of the Dead' ?

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2017
    A thread is only as dead as the last time it was bitten, so this is now officially the zombie thread xD

The thing is, most flicks in the horror or thriller genre are borderline comedy as far as I'm concerned, mostly because I have a way too high sarcasm outlet... So yeah, Sean of the Dead, that shit was actually how I see most if not all "scary movies", the scenes in that movie are always playing in the back of my head as a "what if" when watching other movies :D I'll look into those others though, also it seems the Strain is still going, a final season or something?
    Yeah, this is kind of the UNW forum graveyard here - but it couldn't see an off-topic category in the SN forums.

Idk about where The Strain is at now . I only caught a few episodes on TV in passing. Seems pretty good though (fully sick)

As for horror I admit it's not always my favourite genre. But do I find it very interesting that post-apocalyptic series/films/games are so popular these days, especially 'zombie apocalypse' films.

edited September 2017
    Yeah, this is kind of the UNW forum graveyard here - but it couldn't see an off-topic category in the SN forums.

Idk about where The Strain is at now . I only caught a few episodes on TV in passing. Seems pretty good though (fully sick)

As for horror I admit it's not always my favourite genre. But do I find it very interesting that post-apocalyptic series/films/games are so popular these days, especially 'zombie apocalypse' films.

off-topic-we-dont-go-there-anymore.jpg
    While it used to be one of the most active during the Natural Selection (1) heydays... This forum layout is too whack so certain sub-forums went invisible somehow...

I watched I think the first or first two seasons, it's got a pretty neat story and damn good actors...
    shdob94xq04y.jpg

This was the best looking zombie fish I could find
    Hey @Kouji_San, thanks for your tip! Bought S1 of The Stain today and bingeing it from the start. Turns out Guillermo de Torre is one of its showrunners (Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy2 etc.)
  • PaddyMPaddyM Northern Ireland Join Date: 2018-02-17 Member: 237784Members
    Just finished The Walking Dead TV series. I loath the incessant cliffhangers and plot digressions, but overall the show is excellent.
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    I got hooked on the Vikings series. Gritty.