Small Cargo Sub

PowerPistonsPowerPistons Neverland Join Date: 2017-08-07 Member: 232266Members
edited August 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
Hey, I'm new to this forum and I have a (mostly) quick suggestion. No it's much larger sike! B) Many people have asked for a sub that was in between the size of the 'clops and the seamoth. My (not at all small) suggestion is a sub primarily designed to track down materials and transport them for later storage. It would have 1 deck, with a control room that contains a mini scanner room, basically the original one, that would be able to find local materials and display them on the glass window in the cockpit. Unlike the cyclops, it would not have the small room in between the control room and the docking room, but would instead have two adjacent rooms like this:InteriorSketchSmall.jpg One room would have space to build furniture or fabricators, and this is where things get interesting. You may be thinking, "gee golly PowerPistons! This isn't special at all and would add nothing to the game!! Well, on the exterior of the sub, there would be an area that has space to hold ores, outcrops and plants that were acquired using a controllable propulsion cannon! In the control room, on a console next to the mini scanner, there would be a camera interface similar to the camera controller on the actual scanner room. But instead of a camera drone, it will control a robotic arm attached to a prop cannon to pickup items and put them into the exterior storage bay. (Remember the large ores can be picked up using the PRAWN prop cannon) the second room would have a small diving bay, and access to the engine room, which would hold 4 power cells, and have space for multiple upgrades. Upgrades would include better prop cannon range, scanner buffs, engine efficiency, and so on. This sub would NOT have a space for seamoth/prawn, so it wouldn't ruin the cyclops. It could have two speeds, standard and slow, with the silent running mode as an ability.

I would gladly take any suggestions/ constructive criticism because new subs are hard to balance and I probably forgot something! :p:p

I really don't know how to conclude this so.... *runs away screaming*

Comments

• LulzesLulzes Join Date: 2017-07-25 Member: 232050Members
    I like the idea, but your pic makes the sub look huge, with two rooms side by side and a ladder to another floor. I had a similar idea too.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    edited August 2017
    Of all the "want more vehicles" threads that have popped up, I have to say...this is the first one I've actually liked. (No offense, @Lulzes - if I'd seen yours before now, it would've been the first. Uhh...half-credit to each.)

One of the cornerstones of great game design is giving players options in how they're going to achieve objectives. One of the best examples is probably still the Deus Ex series. The objectives are always the same, but there are oh-so-many ways to complete them. Sneak, force, tech, ninja...how you play is up to you because the game is giving you the mechanics and tools necessary to enable those various options.

Yes, in many ways, the Lulzes/PowerPistons proposed sub does eclipse the Cyclops. It's smaller, more maneuverable, arguably more useful in more situations. Can't carry a vehicle, but makes up for it in the ability to harvest scads of resources - which, I freely admit, is something I've wished for on many an occasion...bloody quartz - making it a functional, purposeful tool in the game world. Everything in a game is, or at least should be, give and take. Buff this, debuff this. Good at this...ehhhh, not so good at that. This sub does that quite neatly. Probably not as durable as a Cyclops, maybe not able to dive as deep as a Seamoth, but still serving a very useful function.

I'm not entirely on board (no pun) with the design as posed here; Lulzes' LEGO model looks more like what we need. (This design is a little big.) Quite frankly, it puts me in mind of Flatbed from The Abyss. :)

Yes, this is a post 1.0, expansion, add-on sort of thing. Yes, yes, yes. But someone has to keep thinking about what can come next. And this...this is a good thought. :grin:

(Oh, and @PowerPistons - welcome to the forums!)
  • PowerPistonsPowerPistons Neverland Join Date: 2017-08-07 Member: 232266Members
    edited August 2017
    Lulzes wrote: »
    I like the idea, but your pic makes the sub look huge, with two rooms side by side and a ladder to another floor. I had a similar idea too.

Yeah, this picture is actually an early concept art for the cyclops, and just to show the room design.
    Of all the "want more vehicles" threads that have popped up, I have to say...this is the first one I've actually liked. (No offense, @Lulzes - if I'd seen yours before now, it would've been the first. Uhh...half-credit to each.)

One of the cornerstones of great game design is giving players options in how they're going to achieve objectives. One of the best examples is probably still the Deus Ex series. The objectives are always the same, but there are oh-so-many ways to complete them. Sneak, force, tech, ninja...how you play is up to you because the game is giving you the mechanics and tools necessary to enable those various options.

Yes, in many ways, the Lulzes/PowerPistons proposed sub does eclipse the Cyclops. It's smaller, more maneuverable, arguably more useful in more situations. Can't carry a vehicle, but makes up for it in the ability to harvest scads of resources - which, I freely admit, is something I've wished for on many an occasion...bloody quartz - making it a functional, purposeful tool in the game world. Everything in a game is, or at least should be, give and take. Buff this, debuff this. Good at this...ehhhh, not so good at that. This sub does that quite neatly. Probably not as durable as a Cyclops, maybe not able to dive as deep as a Seamoth, but still serving a very useful function.

I'm not entirely on board (no pun) with the design as posed here; Lulzes' LEGO model looks more like what we need. (This design is a little big.) Quite frankly, it puts me in mind of Flatbed from The Abyss. :)

Yes, this is a post 1.0, expansion, add-on sort of thing. Yes, yes, yes. But someone has to keep thinking about what can come next. And this...this is a good thought. :grin:

(Oh, and @PowerPistons - welcome to the forums!)

Yeah, I think the Lego model is a bit to small because this thing needs to fit the scanner table and have room to hold the stuff on top. I'm not sure if I explained cleary enough, but the cargo area on top isn't like a giant locker, but an area to hold loose entities. One of the hazards of driving this thing would be that if you tip over ALL of your stuff falls out.

Also thanks for welcoming me o:)
  • justi18562justi18562 Join Date: 2017-02-28 Member: 228386Members