Oculus SDK support for Steam version.

ANeMANeM Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16267Members, Constellation
edited August 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
A simple suggestion. Prior to SteamVR support being implemented the Steam version had native Oculus SDK support. The Oculus home version still requires native Oculus SDK support. Using SteamVR as a middle man is functional, but it often introduces minor errors with tracking on Rift headsets and other weirdness, and comes with a slight performance loss.

The option to start the game in Oculus SDK mode on Steam would be appreciated, especially given that the way launching in VR is handled already involves popping up an option dialog in Steam before the game runs.

Edit: It appears the latest Experimental build already launches to native oculus mode when selection "launch in SteamVR mode" Neat.

Comments

• IralithIralith United States Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235970Members
    Hey, question: does the 1.0 build run in native Oculus mode if you play on a Rift? From this older post, I'd guess it does, but I'm not sure.

Basically, I'm trying to decide between buying via Steam and buying through Oculus. I'd certainly rather get it through Steam (as I'd be able to play on my Rift and conventionally), but not if there's a performance hit in VR.